New, gray Metro Buses

Also, for some reason there are only seats on one side of the second level, which seems inefficient to me, especially considering how much these trains are used and how rapidly the system is expanding.

This is how the the Caltrain trains between San Francisco and San Jose are equipped. I wondered about that layout as well, but it might be done to allow conductors to work both levels at once.

An example that Houston could copy from Metra -- instead of building its own tracks, in many cases Metra leases time on the freight lines. Some of the different routes are even known by which freight line they're on, like "Metra Union Pacific West Line" or "Metra Rock Island District Line" or "Metra Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line."

I know Metro has been in discussion with Union Pacific about running commuter rail on their tracks. However, so far UP has been less than cooperative, and keeps saying they don't have the room on their tracks for Metro.

Has anyone seen a FULL metro bus?

Many times. I used to live in Westchase and commute to the Galleria area on the bus several days a week, taking either the 25, 82, or 53 to connect to the 33. All four of those buses were often standing room only during rush hour.

The 82 and 2 are often very full throughout the entire day. The same holds true for many of the routes into the north, east, southeast, and southwest sides.

There are some old routemasters being used as everyday transit/student shuttles in Davis, CA. I read about it in an article about London retiring its fleet

besides that, is there anywhere in the US that has double deckers for more than just tourist or sightseeing purposes?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed when I was in a different part of town that METRO got new transit buses that look like this:

pics courtesy of houstonmetrofan3530

P4130002.jpg

P4200001.jpg

They look just like the ones U see on Houston streets, only the front was redesigned. Compare it to this:

metro_buses.jpg

Chicago has double-decker trains, too.

I took my first trip on one a few weeks ago. The cars are made by a company in Japan. Unlike double-decker trains I've been on in Europe, the second level of these isn't completely separate from the first level. The aisle is two-levels tall, and people on the upper level hand their tickets down to the conductor to be punched.

Also, for some reason there are only seats on one side of the second level, which seems inefficient to me, especially considering how much these trains are used and how rapidly the system is expanding.

metra_01.jpg

Also, you can't always tell if the train is coming or going. Instead of turning them around, they just run them backwards, which is why one side is so stripey -- it could be the front for all you know. The engine is used merely a powerplant for moving the train.

An example that Houston could copy from Metra -- instead of building its own tracks, in many cases Metra leases time on the freight lines. Some of the different routes are even known by which freight line they're on, like "Metra Union Pacific West Line" or "Metra Rock Island District Line" or "Metra Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line."

The TRE in Dallas is double decked, too:

trinity_railway_express.jpg