TxDOT To Install Speed Cameras

:) Drive it! I meant old sloppy cars, 1980's lincoln continentals, Van Dura vans, 1983 toyota trucks...etc :)

Nah, I'm just funnin' ya! I know what you meant, unfortunately the list is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too long of vehicles that would not qualify in this town. LOL! I would have to add to the list cars or trucks that have children under the age of 18, not as drivers but drivers and passengers. Kids can easily distract a driver, and driver's under the age of 18 are way to inexperienced, as are alot of drivers OVER the age 18.

Edited by TJones

I feel your pain. It's bad on the Westchase side of Houston. I have to drive along Westpark Tollway each day and at the big intersections people get stuck in the middle then we see that freaking flash go off. Thats is so screwed up. These people get stuck because the auto in front of them suddenly slows or stops them and that makes them miss the light. Imagine the angst and stress of the driver/s? This stupid camera is making people rush across so as not to get a ticket and they get trapped anyway. There are also many wrecks because people try not to get caught in the middle (like moi). These cameras they tripping me out ya'll. :wacko:

Well, within the Houston city limits, it is against a city ordinance to even enter an intersection unless you can safely proceed all the way through the intersection before the light changes. I used to live in Westchase and dealt with the horrible traffic there, so I feel your pain. But if you don't enter the intersection when the light is green and you can't get across it, there's no risk of you getting caught by the red light camera after the light changes. It also keeps you from blocking the cross street, which results in less traffic congestion overall.

• 4 weeks later...

Since getting my last ticket I am trying to drive slower. I find it is much easier to get distracted and not pay attention. I am annoying the people behind me by driving the speed limit. Speed limits are very often set too low, that is why you are usually speeding when you go with the flow of traffic. There is a huge difference between driving unsafe, too fast and the number on a sign. You don't drive the speed limit when it's pouring rain and you can't see, you slow down. When there is no traffic why should you not also be able to speed up? Whatever happened to commom sense? I say take down all the speed limit signs and give everyone a ticket who drives like an idiot.

werd.gif i hate that!! the other day there was this fool just cruisin all sittin sideways in the left lane. he was going about 55mph i got irrated and all he could see was me doing this in his rear view mirror rant2.gif

he moved and traffic started flying by him. what an idiot, the dumb a$ even had a radar detector, WTF for i dont know rolleyes2.gif

Houston has the dumbest drivers by far!

Speed limits are very often set too low, that is why you are usually speeding when you go with the flow of traffic. There is a huge difference between driving unsafe, too fast and the number on a sign.

Speed limits should ideally be set according to the 85th-percentile speed of traffic on the roadway (i.e. 85% of the cars on the entire roadway are going at the speed limit or slower). In general, this is usually the case. It may not seem like it if you are always in the left lane on a four-lane freeway, but in that case, you are usually driving faster than most of the cars on the freeway. Speed limits that are too low are seen as unreasonable and ignored by the majority of the drivers and undermine compliance with other traffic regulations in general.

In some cases, politicians set speed limits lower than they should be. Those generally don't work worth a darn.

I might add that most drivers (those never involved in a major collision) have no idea of the forces involved in a major collision and how inadequate human reactions and brake performance can be when you are covering 103 feet every second (as you are when you are driving 70 mph). In the vast majority of cases, the speed limit on each roadway is set for a good reason, and while it may be frustrating (I sympathyze as I tend to have a leaden foot as well) and we may feel like we can haul ass because we're better drivers than these other dumb slobs, hopefully it will give us some amount of pause.

Edited by CDeb

• The title was changed to TxDOT To Install Speed Cameras