ROOF ISSUES

XLNZ51

I have found a house that is great. The problem is that the current roof is composition shingles over wood shingles. I have found that it will be a hassle to get homeowners insurance. Has anyone else run into this situation before? what was the end result?

I have...my insurance said you have 30 days from close to fix problems. I really dont think they ever came back out though to ck problem

Be careful, though. If you haven't complied with their requirements, then if you ever have even an unrelated claim, they might use that as a basis to deny it.

there are quite a few houses still with wood shingles under composition roof. i know at least one nearby resident who had her roof replaced recently that originally had wood shingles. mine was originally that way as well.

I did find one insurance company that would exclude the roof until it was replaced. The premium was double of what a policy for a house with a conventional roof would be. That would be great but as The Niche stated they might use the roof as a basis to deny any claim. Musicman, were you able to get your house insured without such a hassle?

Our house (built in 1946) had composition shingles over the original wood ones when we bought it about 7 1/2 years ago, and I didn't have any problem getting insurance with Allstate. OTOH, I'm not 100% sure they were aware of the wood shingles, and it's since become a non-issue since the old wood shingles were removed when we had a new roof installed a couple of years ago.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they had to have known about the wood shingles, because I filed an insurance claim as a result of hail damage to get the new roof installed. When the Allstate adjuster came out to inspect the damage and write up the claim, he was about to leave when I asked him if he was aware there were wood shingles under the composition ones. He wasn't, and after climbing up into the attic to inspect them, he adjusted the claim amount upwards to take them into account.

I did find one insurance company that would exclude the roof until it was replaced. The premium was double of what a policy for a house with a conventional roof would be. That would be great but as The Niche stated they might use the roof as a basis to deny any claim. Musicman, were you able to get your house insured without such a hassle?

mine had already been corrected by the previous owner but my neighbor had no prob. i know my agent didn't question the roofing only the old electrical. usually it is more of a problem if it is still being used. if it is covered by a composition roof IMO you should be ok and when you do finally replace your roof, you can rip those up too and put up some plywood down. believe it or not, the cross straps used for the wood shingles really make for a better roof when nailing the plywood.

mine had around 5 layers of roofing over the shingles....it was enough to fill up a container and a half. I can only imagine the weight.

three layers should be the absolute max cause of weight issues.

No doubt it will cost quite a bit more for a new roof since you have to put down decking. You also need to check and see if they installed any ventilation. Most homes I have seen that orginally had wood roofs didnt bother to add any intake ventilation when they were roofed over. Without proper ventilation you can have a moldy attic and have the a/c sucked right out of the house. Figure all that into your offering price.

Without proper ventilation you can have a moldy attic and have the a/c sucked right out of the house.
proper ventilation is necessary but what do you mean " a/c sucked right out of the house?" because the attic is hotter the unit will have to overcome higher temps which means it won't work as efficiently.

Guest Marty

Having multiple layers of shingles will make the new roof life span last only 14 years average, 18 to 20 years if you remove the wood shingles and put down 3/4 inch plywood and 3 tabs, 4 tabs Elk prestige will give you 5-10 more years and they are least likely to get damage in a hail storm or small tree limbs falling on it.

Having multiple layers of shingles will make the new roof life span last only 14 years average, 18 to 20 years if you remove the wood shingles and put down 3/4 inch plywood and 3 tabs, 4 tabs Elk prestige will give you 5-10 more years and they are least likely to get damage in a hail storm or small tree limbs falling on it.

i thiink most are hardpressed to get 20 yrs out of a roof

I have found a house that is great. The problem is that the current roof is composition shingles over wood shingles. I have found that it will be a hassle to get homeowners insurance. Has anyone else run into this situation before? what was the end result?

Are you aware of the expense of correcting this type of roof? They're going to have to strip all th existing crap off, then put down new decking, then they can put on the new shingles. Major $$$. I would request that the current owner give a concession for all this work, if you're not already getting a concession or a heck of a deal.

If you have some type of power vents they are going to suck air from somewhere. There is a formula for how much intake/exhaust you should have for attic size. They also now make vented drip edge and vented facsia board which can be used when you have no place for soffits. Time to install these is when the roof is redone.

proper ventilation is necessary but what do you mean " a/c sucked right out of the house?" because the attic is hotter the unit will have to overcome higher temps which means it won't work as efficiently.

If you have some type of power vents they are going to suck air from somewhere. There is a formula for how much intake/exhaust you should have for attic size. They also now make vented drip edge and vented facsia board which can be used when you have no place for soffits. Time to install these is when the roof is redone.

thx for clarification and concur

Be careful, though. If you haven't complied with their requirements, then if you ever have even an unrelated claim, they might use that as a basis to deny it.

I agree, they will use any kind of excuse to revoke a reason to honor a claim. I'd just fix it ASAP.

It was Starfish roofing...think the numberis 281 say roof or 713 say-roof. They are great guys and came back a long time after initial install to repair a problem that reallywasnt their responsibility and didnt charge.

Guest Marty

The 5 man crew that i work for did a bid on a 30 square one story roof for 1,300 bucks for labour and the homeowner is paying for the materials.

One layer tear off and re roof the house. That is the price you should look for in this situation.

Archived