2007 Pritzker Architecture Prize winner - Richard Rogers

That first photo, the Centre Pompidou in Paris, I see on Wikipedia it says Rogers had a hand in designing that, but that building as always been considered the work of the prime designer, Renzo Piano, the same guy that did our Menil.

I don't know what percentage Rogers had a hand in it, but just so you know, he certainly wasnt the only famous architect working on that building, it's not "his".. or least "his alone" and he's generally not the architect it's credited to.

Clarification: His firm is designing Tower 3, at 175 Greenwich Street. He's not designing the Freedom Tower

oops, my bad. I thought that's what PBS news told me last night. Guess not.

That first photo, the Centre Pompidou in Paris, I see on Wikipedia it says Rogers had a hand in designing that, but that building as always been considered the work of the prime designer, Renzo Piano, the same guy that did our Menil.

I don't know what percentage Rogers had a hand in it, but just so you know, he certainly wasnt the only famous architect working on that building, it's not "his".. or least "his alone" and he's generally not the architect it's credited to.

Well, it's in the portfolio (the link in the first post) created by the group who gives the award. That's the only reason I put it up there. And in the interview he gave PBS, he was talking about it as if it was his own.

I'm surprised that nobody wants to talk about the architecture of a man who just won the most prestigious architecture award there is.

You can tell his stuff is very modern. I'm not so sure it would fit in with Houston's skyline. It would certainly stick out like a sore thumb.

But what do you guys think about that one in Paris he did, where all the insides of a building are exposed and on the outside? On the PBS interview, he talked about how everyone was against it at first. I remember seeing it in person and thought it was pretty odd, yet not ugly. Somehow he made it so that it still attracts people to it. I also think it's a great piece of art. But it's funny because Charlie Rose interviewed sculptor Richard Serra who said architecture is not art because art cannot have any utility.

Clarification: His firm is designing Tower 3, at 175 Greenwich Street. He's not designing the Freedom Tower

I really like that particular design for 175 Greenwich st. That would look fantastic in Houston.

• 3 weeks later...
You can tell his stuff is very modern. I'm not so sure it would fit in with Houston's skyline. It would certainly stick out like a sore thumb.

I disagree.

Although Richard Rogers' projects may be further out than some are comfortable with, you have to remember that Houston's current skyline was developed by progressive architects as well.

If we start to "protect" the current skyline from anything new, it will finally change categories from cutting-edge to existing "traditional"

Well, it's in the portfolio (the link in the first post) created by the group who gives the award. That's the only reason I put it up there. And in the interview he gave PBS, he was talking about it as if it was his own.

def. not just richard rogers. it was a design collaberation between both rogers and piano. actually both rogers and renzo worked together in designing various buildings in England and Italy.

I personally like the Pompidou and the works of both rogers and piano, but i'm bigger fan of Renzo.

I disagree.

Although Richard Rogers' projects may be further out than some are comfortable with, you have to remember that Houston's current skyline was developed by progressive architects as well.

If we start to "protect" the current skyline from anything new, it will finally change categories from cutting-edge to existing "traditional"

Maybe postmodern is a better word?

I mean, I like his stuff, it's just that I see Houston's scrapers to be more strong and classy, while I don't get that same impression from his stuff. If anything like his were built here, I think it would look better in the Galleria area.

Archived