New Tidbit On Towne Lake

Humble has a bit more history than Cypress Towne.

The concept of Cypress as a city is beyond ludicrous. That's something you're just going to have to live with, Mr. Football.

This is not a discussion about the City of Cypress idea, Coog. Stop being a troll. If you're going to post, at least understand the subject matter.

We are talking about a development in Cypress (ie. "Towne Lake") that will have a town center concept.

Edited by mrfootball

I agree that Cypress desperately needs to be self-sufficient. Becuase living that far out and being dependent upon Houston is a self-imposed hardship.

I love Houston and I like the idea of denser urban spaces in this city... But let's face it. The city of Houston is as dependent on its far-flung suburbs as vice versa. Take away the affordable housing for workers and Houston loses a good chunk of its appeal for the companies that locate themselves here.

With regards to Towne Lake, I don't really consider homes in the +$300's 'affordable' housing, but your point is certainly correct. Those corporations need to be able to attract good people. There are a lot more options in the burbs that are designed for Families who value having safe neighborhoods to raise their children in. Big yards, pools, soccer fields, trees, etc. There's only so much room inside Houston, and it's not all that well utilized anyhow.

http://www.davidpowershomes.com/ViewCommun...?communityid=62

http://www.davidweekleyhomes.com/Community...munity=12450000

Edited by mrfootball

• 2 weeks later...
Real towns develop organically. Anything developed by a corporate developer is a master-planned community or a neighborhood. Towne Lake is just a big neighborhood like Fairfield with retail embedded and extra glitz. It will not even remotely resemble an actual town, nor will anyone view it as the center of Cypress.

How do you think all those cool, town places you love were built in the first place? Did a group of pilgrims come and systematically build a new town as god intended? No, of course not, only an untrained monkey (like you) would think that. They were planned! An individual, planner, corporation, etc. had a vision, set it on paper, gathered the resources necessary to build it and built it. Great places in this city, like the Heights , River Oaks, many of the Memorial cities/neighborhoods, all "master planned communities" of their time.

We can't all live on 10 acre parcels, farm our own land and never travel to the next farm to reduce congestion!

Communities like Bridgeland, The Woodlands, Towne lake have visionaries that took an idea (and in the case of Bridgeland and Towne Lake) ugly, flat as a pancake property and are building more than tract homes on a grid pattern street that will not be anything resembling a community in 10 years! Get off your high horse. it is obvious you live in a pretend utopian world. Please take the time to find this perfect world and move to it soon so we can stop listening to your imbecilic remarks!

Also, on the note of congestion, I remember from past posts that you commuted from Jersey Village to UH. With all of the truly affordable housing near UH, you choose to fight the traffic everyday yourself

If they're going to build all that stuff, they should have chosen a more geographically pleasant location. Barker Cypress Rd south of 290 is extremely flat and has no trees, which means that all the people who are working, dining, and shopping in the Towne Lake center are going to have no shade, and it will be brutal during the summer afternoons. Planting trees here and there isn't going to help. You need the natural growth like Houston proper and Cypress north of 290 have.

Secondly, I don't mean to sound ignorant with my comments about Caldwell Watson. I'm sure there are lots of interesting things to learn about every player involved in the creation of Towne Lake and every step in the process, but I'm just trying to sum it up based on logic. The whole idea of creating a "town" is just a gimmick that suburban developers use to make their neighborhoods and master-planned communities more appealing. Why are these the only two things it could possibly be? Because these are the only type of residential developments that get built in the areas surrounding Houston. Why would this development be any different? I suppose it could turn into an enclave city eventually, but it will start as a master planned community. It can't be a suburb, because it's not big enough, and its boundaries are completely inside another suburb already. It cannot be a town. A true town is like Humble. Humble was not conceived by commercial developers.

Where in this area do you expect to find anything other than flat, tree-less ground? All of the area south of 290 were rice fields until the mid

Well, Bridgeland has at least an 18-month head-start. Something as big as Towne Lake will take time to develop. I do believe the vision for Towne Lake surpasses Bridgeland's, in that Towne Lake will devote a greater percentage of its space to public areas that will foster a more cohesive community. I believe Towne Lake will end up being less of a master-planned community and more of what people envision when they try to picture the "town of Cypress".

On tehh bridgeland website, they claiim over 3,000 acres will be in the foorm of open space, which is larger thhan the entire Towne Lake development! As far as percentages of total area, i am not sure since I could not find what Towne Lake was planning on settign aside out of their parcel of land. So I might hold of on your argument until we an get soem more information.

Guest Marty
Finally, you do sound ignorant!

you said this

On tehh bridgeland website, they claiim over 3,000 acres will be in the foorm of open space, which is larger thhan the entire Towne Lake development! As far as percentages of total area, i am not sure since I could not find what Towne Lake was planning on settign aside out of their parcel of land. So I might hold of on your argument until we an get soem more information.

and this and called out dalpardise?

this should be interesting :P

Edited by Marty

you said this

and this and called out dalpardise?

this should be interesting :P

Funny, I don't really feel "called out".

I stand by my assessment that Bridgeland seems more like the "master-planned community" of the two. Towne Lake seems like it will have a real "town" vibe, with a great percentage of its space as community property, if not "open space". I think Towne Lake will have much more retail, office, restaurant and waterfront development inside a smaller overall footprint than Bridgeland. Bridgeland will probably have more parks and "open space," in keeping with a more traditional master-planned community model. I don't see how this contradicts my original statement.

• The title was changed to New Tidbit On Towne Lake