Hilton Garden Inn Galleria Area Hotel At 3201 Sage Rd.

JR3985

Yes, it will be the new Hilton Hotel. I wouldn't worry about those ugly appartments. It won't be before long that they will come down.

I do aggree that another high rise or least a mid-rise would be perfect in this location.

The Chronicle had an article a few months ago about this Hilton Garden Inn. If I remember correctly, it was to be 11 floors tall.

There's also a Hilton Garden Inn going up in the new Chinatown area that is also supposed to be 11 floors I believe.

Also, while the Mercer is horrendously ugly, sales have ended up being fairly good. There are just a few units left.

• Like 1

The floorplans in the Mercer are fantastic, but the building itself has issues.

In most large cities, a building like the Mercer would have its empty south side right up against another building. It would be perfect in a downtown setting on a block with another building. The color might need to be different.

I truly believe that high-rise developers should start lower some of the price points to equal the cost of many town homes. If its possible to build a tower with this price point, i can see many more of them built and filled quickly.

Not exciting architecture but decent. The back side looks a bit stark though. There we see the roof structure motif again. It's about time roofs were used for something besides AC equipment.

I used to live in a 6 story apartment building in '83 in Los Angeles right off of Wilshire Blvd. that was built in 1929 and it had a built-in pool on the roof. Very cool, although no one seemed to use it, but the view was great. It always made me wonder why roofs were not utilized more.

I don't mind the front of the building that much, but the sides and back are hideous. Unfortunately the way the building faces makes the front far less visible than the stark sides and back, which faces Richmond. It does look better in that rendering with the second tower that hasn't been built than it does in real life.

The Mercer (or Mark II) is horrendous. What were they thinking with the ass end of that building.

I know they are still having problems moving units in the 1st Mark building.

I don't think they can sustain ANOTHER building.

They could have at least TRIED to make the back look like more than an elevator shaft wall.

The Mercer is definitely a black eye to the Uptown Skyline. I could only wish it really looked like those renderings in the photo above. The windows on the back of the building look much smaller in real life. Until you are absolutely close to it, it looks like a 40 story solid slab of beige, which from a distance looks horrid. The profile view of it is just as bad due to the very small amount of windows. From what I understand, the back was left mostly solid to reflect sunlight which would help the residents keep their electric bills down.

I don't know, but I wonder if this building would have been allowed to be built in Uptown Dallas or Buckhead in Atlanta. I hate to continue to compare Houston to other cities but it seems more architectural consideration has been at hand in buildings within the last 10 years in other cities than in Houston. I have really been impressed particularly by the designs that have been going up in Atlanta. Plus the one's that have broken ground recently and the one's on the drawing board are even better. IMO, some of our stuff appear to have been taken down the cheapest road possible and has come off as a little blah.

The Mercer is definitely a black eye to the Uptown Skyline. I could only wish it really looked like those renderings in the photo above. The windows on the back of the building look much smaller in real life. Until you are absolutely close to it, it looks like a 40 story solid slab of beige, which from a distance looks horrid. The profile view of it is just as bad due to the very small amount of windows. From what I understand, the back was left mostly solid to reflect sunlight which would help the residents keep their electric bills down.

I don't know, but I wonder if this building would have been allowed to be built in Uptown Dallas or Buckhead in Atlanta. I hate to continue to compare Houston to other cities but it seems more architectural consideration has been at hand in buildings within the last 10 years in other cities than in Houston. I have really been impressed particularly by the designs that have been going up in Atlanta. Plus the one's that have broken ground recently and the one's on the drawing board are even better. IMO, some of our stuff appear to have been taken down the cheapest road possible and has come off as a little blah.

Atlanta does have some great buildings but Houston has more buildings going up.

So what do you want quality or quantity?

Don't give up on Houston, there are a lot of great architecturaly designed buildings that are planned for the future.

But for the Mercers mabe they could paint giant murals on the back sides of them.

or when they build the 2nd one design the back side like the front side, and just fix the other building.

You're kidding about having more buildings under construction and recently built than Atlanta I hope.

Since 2000, Atlanta has seen 39 go under construction. 23 of those have been over 20 stories tall.

Additonally, not one of them is nearly as Fugly as the Mercer and there isn't a single new building in Houston currently under construction as nice as Atlanta's Symphony Center Tower. S.C.T. will stand 650 feet tall and it incorporates residential, a new symphony hall, and retail. I would DIE for Houston to have a project like that one!

Currently UC in Atlanta

41 Symphony Center

28 The Spire

26 Twelve

22 Two Buckhead Plaza Residences

20 Midtown Plaza North Tower

20 Midtown Plaza South Tower

15 The Reynolds

12 Building 21 at the Center For Disease Control (Druid Hills suburb)

You're kidding about having more buildings under construction and recently built than Atlanta I hope.

Since 2000, Atlanta has seen 39 go under construction. 23 of those have been over 20 stories tall.

Houston has had a lot of construction also. Since 2000, Houston has had 16 buildings built over 300 feet. That is not even including the ones that are 20 stories tall or under 300 feet.

This tendency to compare ourselves with other cities just creates envy, competitiveness etc. If we are "behind" for our size that's ok. We can observe other projects and take what works and use those ideas for ourselves. I really feel great about the direction we're going, this stuff just takes time. Probably not having zoning spooks some developers but this proposed "back door zoning" that was mentioned in another post might help.

Just think back to say, 1992 or so and look around town now.

Additonally, not one of them is nearly as Fugly as the Mercer and there isn't a single new building in Houston currently under construction as nice as Atlanta's Symphony Center Tower. S.C.T. will stand 650 feet tall and it incorporates residential, a new symphony hall, and retail. I would DIE for Houston to have a project like that one!

Currently UC in Atlanta

41 Symphony Center

28 The Spire

26 Twelve

22 Two Buckhead Plaza Residences

20 Midtown Plaza North Tower

20 Midtown Plaza South Tower

15 The Reynolds

12 Building 21 at the Center For Disease Control (Druid Hills suburb)

c'mon man, you can't make a post with a list like that without pictures.

If we are "behind" for our size that's ok.

Statements like this scare me to a degree because IMO Houston has a tendency to think being behind is ok to a fault. It's great not caring how the world views us.....to a point. I don't think it's a situation of Houston existing at the mercy of outside opinion or city comparison, but also I personally am not content with Houston being "behind" for a city it's size.

I generally am also pleased with the direction the city is going in, but I am also on pins out of fear that something like another Mercer and a Walmart Supercenter is going to show up on the rail line in Midtown, simply because a single developer believes he can make money.

Danax, I hope you are correct about the proposed "back door zoning" because I think we all know the "free for all" atmosphere in Houston for developers can retard the potential that a place like midtown has and set the city even further back in creating that lone traditional urban neighborhood type of environment that can make a city attractive to so many people.