Houston ranked 3rd for speed traps

May 25, 2007, 12:23AM

Houston ranks 3rd on speed trap chart

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The top 10 U.S. "speed traps," according to postings on www.speedtrap.org, a Web site maintained by the National Motorists Association:

1. Detroit (suburbs)

2. Colorado Springs, Colo.

3. Houston

4. Orlando, Fla.

5. Nashville, Tenn.

6. Ann Arbor, Mich.

7. Albuquerque, N.M.

8. Washington, D.C.

9. Denver

10. Virginia Beach, Va.

The National Motorists Association ranked Houston third on its list of the top 10 "speed trap cities" in the U.S.

In the AAA's definition, a speed trap is "designed to raise revenue rather than prevent crashes." A separate category, "strict enforcement," is reserved for "high-risk highways and dangerous intersections" with a tough police presence.

Full Houston Chronicle article

They seem to have a high success rate on the Washington Ave. speed trap. I got nabbed last year on San Felipe through River Oaks. The speed limit is 30 but most of the traffic tends to go faster, so it is easy pickin's. They were pulling the speeders off alongside the railroad tracks and doing mass ticketing.

They seem to have a high success rate on the Washington Ave. speed trap. I got nabbed last year on San Felipe through River Oaks. The speed limit is 30 but most of the traffic tends to go faster, so it is easy pickin's. They were pulling the speeders off alongside the railroad tracks and doing mass ticketing.

Yep, they're out in full force on Washington. Totally got one last week. They are pulling people over in multiples all day long.

BE CAREFUL!!!

This listing is based on the number of posts reporting speedtraps on a forum in this organizations website. Probably not a credible source. One of the postings even reported the pierce elevated. Basically, this is a gauge of public opinion of the people who post on their website.

AAA's definition of a speed trap doesn't even have any listed for Texas.

Edited by Double L

It hurts me to say this, but I actually agree with the cop quoted article that there are very few "speed traps" in Houston. There are quite a few places where the police hide out and nab people going too fast, but none of those places are necessarily unreasonable or meant to surprise the driver for the sole purpose writing him a ticket. For instance, the speed limit along both TC Jester and Shepherd just north of I-10 is 35 for the entire stretch, but people will regularly top 50 going over the respective overpasses and the police sometimes wait at the bottom to write tickets. I wouldn't call that a speed trap, I would call that a deterrent - it makes me always think twice when start to unconsciously race someone to the top of the bridge. I'm not saying that I don't think the city shouldn't be focused on more "real" police work instead of hiding out and nabbing speeders, but I wouldn't define anything in the city as a classic "speed trap."

Kendleton and Hungerford in Fort Bend County are speed traps. Houston is just a big city with a bunch of idiot drivers.

Gotta disagree. Drivers have an intuitive feel for what speed feels right on a road, based on traffic, width, etc. Shepherd where you mentioned, or Washington, are cases where the legal speed limit is lower than what a lot of drivers feel is "natural." I'm not saying that speeding is right, but the cops know the places like these where people are most likely to speed, and that's where they hang to dish out tickets, because they know it's easy pickings. Speed traps.

^^^^

I think it happens, but this study isn't a good way to gauge it. I think that you're description falls under AAA's definition of a speed trap and they only have listed two of these for the entire country.

Still, I would like to see accountability for situations in which speed traps are created.

they use to have a speed trap on shepherd a little after I-10. i got a ticket and the cop was MEAN.

he saw my car was modded up so he was looking for anything and everything. for aesthitic reasons i removed my front licence plate, so he tried to give me a ticket for that, which granted i should of gotten one, but c'mon. then he said my tint was too dark, which it's not...it's tinted the legal 35% :rolleyes: his partner pulled over another person so he got occupied with the other car and his partner only wrote me up for speeding. eh whatever, i'll admit i was in the wrong cuz i was speeding...but thanks to traffic lawyers, it's all good B)