Bayer? hmmm.

i'm just wondering if it really kills them or repels them. from what i've been told, since chlordane was banned, most treatments used by the major companies are more of a repel rather than a kill. and they don't provide a lasting barrier.

Bayer? hmmm.

i'm just wondering if it really kills them or repels them. from what i've been told, since chlordane was banned, most treatments used by the major companies are more of a repel rather than a kill. and they don't provide a lasting barrier.

I know that termidor kills...but not instantly...so they have time to take it back to the colony and spread it around.

I know that termidor kills...but not instantly...so they have time to take it back to the colony and spread it around.

i know my parents house (garage worse) had them. they treat, then termites go to neighbors. neighbors treat then they return. I guess the chlordane/ddt/etc were more potent.

i need to have my garage checked out...one side has some siding quite low to the ground.

Guest danax

That would seem to be an ongoing process; checking for termites, then killing them, etc.

I found Boracare. It's a borate concentrate (supposedly fairly non-toxic to humans) that you mix up and spray on your lumber under your house. It has an ingredient that causes it to penetrate into the center of most lumber and is supposed to protect for 40 yrs or so, even against Formosan termites. You'll still have termites but they won't eat your house.

I applied this over a year ago and they've stayed away from where I used it. Didn't manage to get all the way under the house though and am looking forward to lifting the house a bit and then re-treating thoroughly.

i know my parents house (garage worse) had them. they treat, then termites go to neighbors. neighbors treat then they return. I guess the chlordane/ddt/etc were more potent.

i need to have my garage checked out...one side has some siding quite low to the ground.

That's my current problem. My garage has them pretty bad, but the house was tented several years ago and they do not appear to have returned. I want to attempt to treat the garage, but I also want to do a preventive measure on the house. If this stuff works, and is cheaper than the pest control, I may treat more often.

What were they treating with?

A while back, I recall reading that chlordane would kill termites if it came into contact with them. However...they could sense it from quite a distance away and it would just repel them if they tried to sneak up on the treated area.

What were they treating with?

A while back, I recall reading that chlordane would kill termites if it came into contact with them. However...they could sense it from quite a distance away and it would just repel them if they tried to sneak up on the treated area.

they are using a service. not sure what specific chemical. the person treating told them that it would be a yearly effort because the chemicals used now are just not as good. last time the termites came back....i heard them. my mom called the company again who immediately came out to retreat.

When I saw termite tunnels on my neighbors house I bought some stuff made by Bayer that you mix with water & put in a trench. Got it at a chem supply company that was not allowed to sell termidor to the general public. Never seen termites on/in my house so can't say how good it worked. The new stuff from Bayer looks interesting, thanks for posting it.

I think termidor is the best. Even though you have to be a "pro" to buy...do a search on the internet it will make you a "pro".

I sprayed it around an area in the garage that had a ton of termites about 3 years ago.none since. All my neighbors had treatments done on their places in that last 5 or so years, so I guess all the termites came to my place...

A few homes in the area about 10 years ago were built using the steel beams. I wonder why that has not caught on. It seemed like those guy were able to frame quickly, and for us the home owners...no termites!

Archived