Doville Cottages And Montrose Bungalows

CMurphy

My name's Christopher and I'll be moving to H-town this summer w/ my girlfriend Isabel. I'll be banking downtown and she's hoping to work for the Press/Chronicle and get involved w/ local theater. She's a graduate of UPenn and I'll finish up at Dartmouth College in a few weeks. Blah blah blah.

Basically, we came down to Houston a couple of weeks ago to check out neighborhoods and fell in love w/ Montrose and especially Doville (area around the Menil/Rothko Chapel, right?). We're hoping to rent a cottage or bungalow in Montrose, preferably near the Menil, but have been having trouble finding listings online.

Can you or a friend help us get in touch w/ the right people in Doville? Does anyone know currently or soon-to-be available properties? Thanks very much and you all have a damn good thing going in Montrose.

CM

My name's Christopher and I'll be moving to H-town this summer w/ my girlfriend Isabel. I'll be banking downtown and she's hoping to work for the Press/Chronicle and get involved w/ local theater. She's a graduate of UPenn and I'll finish up at Dartmouth College in a few weeks. Blah blah blah.

Basically, we came down to Houston a couple of weeks ago to check out neighborhoods and fell in love w/ Montrose and especially Doville (area around the Menil/Rothko Chapel, right?). We're hoping to rent a cottage or bungalow in Montrose, preferably near the Menil, but have been having trouble finding listings online.

Can you or a friend help us get in touch w/ the right people in Doville? Does anyone know currently or soon-to-be available properties? Thanks very much and you all have a damn good thing going in Montrose.

CM

A lot of the cottages (the ones painted 'Menil Grey') are actually owned by the Menil Foundation. I'm not sure what their criteria are for leasing them out or whether they have any currently available, but I'd imagine that they're in pretty high demand and wouldn't be surprised if there were a waiting list.

Do you have a budget that we can go on?

A lot of the cottages (the ones painted 'Menil Grey') are actually owned by the Menil Foundation. I'm not sure what their criteria are for leasing them out or whether they have any currently available, but I'd imagine that they're in pretty high demand and wouldn't be surprised if there were a waiting list.

My wife and I checked into them when we got married about twenty years ago. They were in very high demand and there was an enormous waiting list. As I recall they were reasonably priced and the private security patrol was a big draw. Needless to say, we didn't get one. We rented a duplex on Castle Court and eventually moved to Pearland.

preferably no more than $1600/mo but we're flexible.

thanks for getting back to me

Can you or a friend help us get in touch w/ the right people in Doville?

The area you are looking at is great, you're right. I had never heard the term Doville. A quick google search turned up this:

Montrose is home to Doville and therefore many artists and lovers of the arts as well as many students at Rice University and the University of Houston. The name "Doville" is a triple pun-"Do" as in "Dominique de Menil"; "Do" as in "Deauville," the resort town in Normandy; and "Do" as in "dough," moolah. Almost everything in Doville that might seem to have one explanation usually has at least three. Those who concern themselves with such details are interested in "Menilia."

...from this website.

But don't limit yourself to that small area. There are other really nice parts of Montrose.

Go to www.har.com and do a search for residential leases in 77006 an 77098 zips.

You can't go wrong with that part of town. I loved living there. Your best bet is to search via zipcodes. Hope this helps...

Neighborhoods like Avondale, Bute, Castle Court, Cherryhurst, Edgemont, Hyde Park, Vassar Place, and Westmoreland. With what you requested, you should check out Cherryhurst. Lots of bungalows although most are owner-occupied. Very close to the Menil too.

Don't be fooled by the "River Oaks" zipcode. There are some great rental places to be found here East of Shepherd Drive especially along streets like Elmen, Park, Woodhead, Dunlavy, Morse, etc... Also check out smaller hoods like Temple Terrace, Windsor Place and Rosemont

Chevy Chase, Colquitt Court, Cresmere Place, Greenbriar, Ormond Place, Richwood, Vassar Court, West Edgemont, and Winlow Place all have nice bungalows and a good location.

You can't go wrong with that part of town. I loved living there. Your best bet is to search via zipcodes. Hope this helps...

Neighborhoods like Avondale, Bute, Castle Court, Cherryhurst, Edgemont, Hyde Park, Vassar Place, and Westmoreland. With what you requested, you should check out Cherryhurst. Lots of bungalows although most are owner-occupied. Very close to the Menil too.

Don't be fooled by the "River Oaks" zipcode. There are some great rental places to be found here East of Shepherd Drive especially along streets like Elmen, Park, Woodhead, Dunlavy, Morse, etc... Also check out smaller hoods like Temple Terrace, Windsor Place and Rosemont

Chevy Chase, Colquitt Court, Cresmere Place, Greenbriar, Ormond Place, Richwood, Vassar Court, West Edgemont, and Winlow Place all have nice bungalows and a good location.

I definitely second the Cherryhurst recommendation. I lived there for 8 years, still own property there, (nothing vacant right now), tenants tend to stay unless they buy their own place. last two tenants that bought elsewhere have both told me they wished they would have kept renting in Cherryhurst.............

i used to live in 77019 near woodhead (getting closer to the river oaks shopping center), and the condo-plague is ripping through the area - more widespread than others, perhaps -_-

I'll keep an eye peeled for you. Until then, check out the Greensheet when it comes out. When I was renting that's how I found houses and duplexes. There are still a lot of local people in the neighborhood that throw their listing in there.

http://www.thegreensheet.com/houston/real-...nt/c355/p1/e16/

Good luck and I'll let you know what I see around my neighborhood. They come up every now and then.

in a broader context, opportunities for people who want to rent older places are dwindling. small bungalows and duplexes are being razed to make way for fill-up-the-lot townhouses or, where deed restrictions prevent such development, 750K+ single family homes. high end apartment developments are being built aplenty, but they cater to a specific demographic, and not one drawn to period architecture.

My sister lives in a great 1920's 4-plex a few blocks from the Menil, and she found the place by continually refreshing Craigslist. Definitely one of the best areas of town to live in IMHO. Finding a decent whole-house bungalow for under $1600 in that area will probably be tough, however.

There are still tons of bungalows for rent in the Heights (77008/77009) at around $1100 - $1300, but you would be a bit distant from the "hip" life of Montrose.

I'll keep an eye peeled for you. Until then, check out the Greensheet when it comes out. When I was renting that's how I found houses and duplexes. There are still a lot of local people in the neighborhood that throw their listing in there.

http://www.thegreensheet.com/houston/real-...nt/c355/p1/e16/

Good luck and I'll let you know what I see around my neighborhood. They come up every now and then.

thanks

much appreciated

• 6 months later...

I just signed a lease today on a 2BR + Den (across the street from the Rothko Chapel), for $1,400/month. :)

Only 1 bath, but there's a generous 1600+ sq ft.

I was driving in the area one Sat night recently and saw a sign in front of the house.

I arrived the following Monday afternoon for a showing and another interested party was right behind me.

They don't advertise, it's word of mouth and good fortune. The leasing agent told me today there is a waiting list now.

All of these cottages are owned by either the Menil Foundation or Menil Properties. They appear to have been built

in the late 1940's.

• The title was changed to Doville Cottages And Montrose Bungalows

Archived