preservation issues thread

bachanon

do we need a historic preservation thread in issues?

Maybe. Or would it be better as a subsection of Historic Houston? Ordinarily I'm reluctant to split a group, but Historic Houston has turned into one of our largest sections.

Maybe. Or would it be better as a subsection of Historic Houston? Ordinarily I'm reluctant to split a group, but Historic Houston has turned into one of our largest sections.

i think a subsection of historic houston would be great.

My only strong opinion on the subject is that, if a separate forum is created for historic preservation issues, I'd much rather it be a subforum of Historic Houston than an independent forum.

I don't see the need for (or advantages of) having even a separate subforum, but don't feel as strongly about that. Especially if others feel like it would promote or improve the discussion of preservation-related topics.

My only strong opinion on the subject is that, if a separate forum is created for historic preservation issues, I'd much rather it be a subforum of Historic Houston than an independent forum.

I don't see the need for (or advantages of) having even a separate subforum, but don't feel as strongly about that. Especially if others feel like it would promote or improve the discussion of preservation-related topics.

Well, wouldn't (2) subforums need to be under a forum, what would you suggest?

my thinking was that "historic houston" is the discussion of houston's past, historic tours, etc. and not exactly preservation issues. am i splitting hairs or is there a real difference in these discussions?

it seems (IMO) that people surfing for houston preservation issues might more readily come across or be attracted to a forum/subforum with "preservation" in the name, thereby creating more discussion on these matters.

river oaks theater/shopping center

alabama theater

301 fannin

save the bungalows

neighborhood preservation issues

mid century home preservation

wright morrow estate

jim west mansion

I know I'm flip-flopping a little on this - I'm just trying to take into consideration board organization concerns in addition to my own interests, as everyone will always have a pet subject they'd like to be a separate forum.

But I was probably over-devil's-advocating earlier to say I couldn't see any advantages to a dedicated subforum. Having read others' comments and given it more thought, I do think that having a preservation subforum would likely help further cement HAIF as the best place on the internet to discuss issues such as those listed. And, while there haven't been all that many preservation topics started (which may weigh against creating a new forum/subforum), such discussions seem close to the core theme of the board, and I'd personally love to see more. Having a subforum would likely encourage more postings. Also, preservation postings do generally have an immediacy that sets them apart from the average Historic Houston postings (most of which are in the "does anyone remember?" vein, and seem pretty popular), and their time-sensitivity might justify a subforum.

I don't think there's anything wrong in theory with having just one subforum, with the Historic Houston main forum covering everything else history-related - but I don't know if Pumapayam is saying it's not actually possible to organize a forum that way, as a main forum with one subforum.

My primary argument for making any new forum on preservation issues an Historic Houston subforum would be that I really enjoy reading the comments posted on preservation threads about the historical significance of the property, and would hate for such input to be considered in some way "off-topic".

In addition to preservation issues, are there other areas that should have separate sub-forums? Other members have suggested West End and Pasadena topic areas. I could see where Education might make sense as well. The trick is hitting the important areas without going overboard on detail.

In addition to preservation issues, are there other areas that should have separate sub-forums? Other members have suggested West End and Pasadena topic areas. I could see where Education might make sense as well. The trick is hitting the important areas without going overboard on detail.

Maybe a "Near Northside" and Near North Eastside like for those in Denver Harbor, Inglewood and Kashmere Gardens areas?

Then there are the folks in Northshore/Channelview but they can speak for themselves I guess.

There's also Clear Lake but what about Kemah, El lago, Seabrook and other outlying sea villages.

Also Riverside or MacGregor, TSU vicinity?

Just trying to be inclusive. :)

Archived