Hugo V. Neuhaus, Jr. Exhibit and Catalog

Willowisp

• 2 months later...
Great! Will there be some sort of opening reception?

Houston Mod's third annual architectural exhibition:

"Hugo V. Neuhaus, Jr.: Residential Architecture, 1948-1966"

Opening reception, Thursday August 2, 5:30-7:30 PM

Architecture Center, Houston, 315 Capitol, Suite 120

Free and open to the public, refreshments will be served.

We hope to see you there.

Houston Mod

Architecture Center Houston is located in the West end of the former Albert Thomas Convention Center. They have created an attractive gallery space there and opened it to overlook the bayou. Parking is available in the Hobby Center garage. The exhibit will highlight some of the residential work of Hugo V. Neuhaus who was one of Houston's finest architects. The catalog, almost 100 pages this year, will be available for the first time. The two previous catalogs will also be available.

Well, that was fun. It was nice to meet BenH and Willowisp in person, as well as Ben Koush, Stephen Fox and Paul Hester (who I already knew slightly). The gallery is a lovely place and the renderings, photos, plans, and models are definitely worth seeing.

I must say Houston Mod has outdone itself with this exhibition and catalog. One of the best $20 I've ever spent. Great crowd that turned out too. I got to meet Stephen Fox, Cynthia Taylor (Harwood Taylor's wife), saw Anderson Todd and a few others. Eric Hester got better pictures than I did, but mine weren't too shabby. Make time to go see this exhibit, if you can, or at least get the book.

I must say Houston Mod has outdone itself with this exhibition and catalog. One of the best $20 I've ever spent. Great crowd that turned out too. I got to meet Stephen Fox, Cynthia Taylor (Harwood Taylor's wife), saw Anderson Todd and a few others. Eric Hester got better pictures than I did, but mine weren't too shabby. Make time to go see this exhibit, if you can, or at least get the book.

I feel it was one of the best turnouts to date at ARCH. Its unfortunate that some of the beautiful homes featured are now history :angry2:

Now I am really compelled to join www.houstonmod.org!

(plug...plug...)

• 1 month later...

Houston Mod is pleased to announce two specially added additional viewing opportunities for their Hugo Victor Neuhaus, Jr. exhibition:

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:00-5:00 PM

Friday, September 28, 2007 5:30-7:30 PM Closing Event

For those unable to visit the exhibition during it's regularly scheduled hours of 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday thru Thursday and 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM, Friday, Houston Mod will open the exhibit for two additional viewing opportunities. Hugo Victor Neuhaus, Jr., Residential Architecture, 1948-1966, is Houston Mod's third Architectural Exhibition and presents several residential works of the architect through architectural drawings, photographs, models, and renderings. Thoroughly examined in the exhibition is Neuhaus' own house, which he designed and built in 1950, and is considered to be one of the finest examples of Miesian Architecture in Texas. The Friday closing event will feature food and beverages. The exhibition catalog will be available for $20.00. All openings are free and open to the public.

Architecture Center Houston

315 Capitol, Suite 120

Houston, Texas 77002

713-520-0155

Parking is available across the street in the Hobby Center garage.

yAGv-1gVuM7yZ5M3sQCYj9GDV7jojd4M0300.jpg

htr8sXRGFWTL6xSEKHwTUAREdeazHCns0300.jpg

Photo3

Photo4

sFf-CY6OHQ5iRdhbiY5HZzKuroXsu44n0300.jpg

Photo6

Photographs by Eric Hester

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again to everyone who came to the exhibit! Any more comments? The closing party was great and I got to meet Preston Bolton and walk around the exhibit with him as he talked about the original owners of the houses that he knew.

Jason

Definitely a memorable exhibit. I read the book regularly and still have a bunch of photos from the opening. Thanks to Don for curating as well. Hopefully Jenkins or Bolton & Barnstone next time.

Archived