Gyms In The Heights

Hello,

I am getting ready to move to the Heights and was wondering what is the most convenient gym in the area?

I know that the Heights is very active outdoors, but I have not seen any gyms in the area?

A friend of mine works out at the Y down town, but said it is not that convenient.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

I am getting ready to move to the Heights and was wondering what is the most convenient gym in the area?

I know that the Heights is very active outdoors, but I have not seen any gyms in the area?

A friend of mine works out at the Y down town, but said it is not that convenient.

Any thoughts?

Houston Gym

The Bally's on N Shepard is, in my opinion, the best option. It's easiest to get to (if you live in the north end of the heights esp), very cheap if you pay upfront and the gym is a decent size though the free-weights are little out dated. Houston gym is very hip feeling but you definitely want to see the inside of the place especially if you are planning to workout around 5. The price seems ok, but the place is TINY and that's no exaggeration. I'd love to see someone put a good gym in the heights somewhere. Seems like we could definitely support one.

Edited by Urbannomad

There is a nice YMCA on 34th between Shepherd and Ella (just N of the Heights in Garden Oaks), plus they're renovating the old YWCA on Waugh. I think there are a couple of women-only locations on Yale and 19th.

Fitness Exchange is moving from the Montrose area to Washington & Shepherd later this summer.

http://www.fitnessexchangehouston.com/default.htm

Yea... that's my gym... looks like it's going to be in a nice place right on Washington... and closer to my home so that's good. I was at first surprised that they were moving out of Montrose since they have such a large gay clientele (not all gay... a lot of str8 people work out there, also)... but I wonder if it's because so many in the gay community now also live in the Heights... most of my gay friends live in the Heights as opposed to Montrose. Of course, maybe this was the only place they could find... who knows.

There is a new small gym on West Gray called River Oaks Gym (not the same as River Oaks Fitness). It is on the second floor of the building next to Pier One. I think there some type of rug store on the first floor. It has all new equipment, great trainers, and really nice locker rooms. The entrance is the street south of West Gray - I think it is Peden.

• The title was changed to Gyms In The Heights