Broadway St. At Harrisburg Blvd.

I lived on Magnolia street for a couple of months. What was on broadway before the 90's? Past the underground rr crossing near gordons(which appears to have closed.) I know a majority of the area has been leveled. The way the buildings look it appears there was a bunch of stores in the area. I had a friend that live in one of the "stores" after they closed. It was weird.

I lived on Magnolia street for a couple of months. What was on broadway before the 90's? Past the underground rr crossing near gordons(which appears to have closed.) I know a majority of the area has been leveled. The way the buildings look it appears there was a bunch of stores in the area. I had a friend that live in one of the "stores" after they closed. It was weird.

some of the long time stores were there a few years ago such as the plumbing supply place and the clothing store. the clothing store owner was killed during a robbery maybe 3 yrs ago.

• 1 year later...
some of the long time stores were there a few years ago such as the plumbing supply place and the clothing store. the clothing store owner was killed during a robbery maybe 3 yrs ago.

Heard that robbery story too. That's too bad...I have a good memory of that location. My dad once showed us a submarine that was docked across from those stores. He also worked in those ship yards when he was young.

This stretch of Broadway Street that you are referring to was the main street for the town of Harrisburg, Texas. Growing up in that area during the 60s and 70s, I remember that there was also a post office there too.

The vacant lot next to the underpass was the site of the Milby mansion. I understand that this mansion was razed in the late 1950s. During the 70s, I remember that there was a Texas historical marker placed there for the Milby mansion but it has since disappeared. Anyone know of its whereabouts?

This stretch of Broadway Street that you are referring to was the main street for the town of Harrisburg, Texas. Growing up in that area during the 60s and 70s, I remember that there was also a post office there too.

The vacant lot next to the underpass was the site of the Milby mansion. I understand that this mansion was razed in the late 1950s. During the 70s, I remember that there was a Texas historical marker placed there for the Milby mansion but it has since disappeared. Anyone know of its whereabouts?

That area is cool to look at in aerial maps, the original plots that were subdivided are huge, compared to what we are used to. They are very obvious when you view them.(They are south of the businesses talked about above). That whole area is soooo olddd, some people have no idea. I remember the post office. My g-mother knew of the Milby daughter, said she was so pretty. I asked her about the house one time, told me it was rt. where you describe, by the underpass. Read several things about the disappearance of the marker, too bad. It disappeared a long time ago. Thought it had disappeared before my time, it was one of those things that would have caught my eye, even at a young age. I went through there so many times.

There was a fire at that funeral home across the street from the Burger King near Lawndale. I think it was Morales Funeral Home?

I vaguely recall going to a rosary there over 35 years ago as a kid.

I am not sure if it was still in business when this fire occurred? This whole stretch is so desolate I am surprised there is a flea market there on weekends. If it werent for Brady's I doubt most people would dare to venture around here. Wait until dark. :o:lol:

PS, Compean has the brand spanking NEW place further down past Milby HS. Looks like a Courtyard Marriott. About 3 months ago they had a grand opening celebration. It was awesome, never would think you were in a funeral home? It was a guilty pleasure. :blush:

Had to go to confession next day. Ja ja

There was a fire at that funeral home across the street from the Burger King near Lawndale.

There was an R&B store @ there, and a beautiful bank, Harrisburg Bank. Long glass panels all around, with floor to ceiling drapes. There is one like it at the corner of OST & Kirby (by Reliant). I can't place that Funeral home. Is it where the Furniture Store was?

There was an R&B store @ there, and a beautiful bank, Harrisburg Bank. Long glass panels all around, with floor to ceiling drapes. There is one like it at the corner of OST & Kirby (by Reliant). I can't place that Funeral home. Is it where the Furniture Store was?

What's R &B store? There was a "friendly furniture" across where the conoco now stands. They used to put a carnival up where it is now. The funeral home was a Guillen And Sons. On the north side by broadway across from the bank's sign. The Scoreboard at Deady MS still says "Harrisburg bank" The gordon's still has clothes inside...I wonder what will happen to it.

What's R &B store? There was a "friendly furniture" across where the conoco now stands. They used to put a carnival up where it is now. The funeral home was a Guillen And Sons. On the north side by broadway across from the bank's sign. The Scoreboard at Deady MS still says "Harrisburg bank" The gordon's still has clothes inside...I wonder what will happen to it.

The R&B was a clothing store, a brick bldg. next to the "friendly furniture store" on the corner, if memory serves me well. It would have been down from the Broadway movie theater, east of where the Burger King is now.

Does anyone remember Shanghi Reds, the restaurant/nightclub, that sat next to Brady's Landing? In the 60's, my father used to work for Parker Brothers and I believe they had a location down next to the future location of Brady's Landing and Shangi Reds. I was with him one day while he ran an errand at his job there at Parker Brothers. I remember seeing an old run down building that looked like the Shanghi Reds building. Does anybody know whether Shanghi Reds was put in an old existing building or was it just made to look like that? Either way, it was a fun club.

Does anyone remember Shanghi Reds, the restaurant/nightclub, that sat next to Brady's Landing? In the 60's, my father used to work for Parker Brothers and I believe they had a location down next to the future location of Brady's Landing and Shangi Reds. I was with him one day while he ran an errand at his job there at Parker Brothers. I remember seeing an old run down building that looked like the Shanghi Reds building. Does anybody know whether Shanghi Reds was put in an old existing building or was it just made to look like that? Either way, it was a fun club.

I am almost certain Shanghai's was discussed in length under Magnolia Park topic. Our downtown company always had Bday parties at Shanghai's circa 1990-91? That place was fun. The dance floor was sort of lower than the seating which made it interesting to see everyone dancing slightly below level. Not sure why they decided to close it. Crowd starting changing for the worse I guess. Same old story. There is a Brady's Landing website to see and that place still packs them in! :)

I am pretty sure it was built to look old, looked like a fire-trap to me. I know the fire dept. had boats on the water, just in case. See our other posts, as Vertigo suggested.

The funeral home was Guillien and Sons. The sons were Nick and Steve. I graduated from Milby with them in 1977. I understand they had sold to Service Corp International which owns about 75% of the funeral homes in America.

The funeral home was Guillien and Sons. The sons were Nick and Steve. I graduated from Milby with them in 1977. I understand they had sold to Service Corp International which owns about 75% of the funeral homes in America.

That's it! Just couldn't conjure up the proper name.

Then there is that obscure neigborhood behind Guillen & Son's Funeral Home. Never knew if it even had a name. I would imagine that in the old days mostly service men or ship channel waterfront workers lived in these old homes? room and board? Scary old beer joints, Mob scene, :ph34r: etc.

Whole new topic I guess. Maybe call "On The Waterfront".

Bye the way, there are a set of old clapboard (wooden) little homes, off one of those streets going to Buffalo Bayou, behind the bank, that are mentioned in one of the AIA Houston Architectural Guides.

I think they are referred to as the "Hilltop", set of three. Who would know? :) They are small, like the ones in the old moter hotels.

Bye the way, there are a set of old clapboard (wooden) little homes, off one of those streets going to Buffalo Bayou, behind the bank, that are mentioned in one of the AIA Houston Architectural Guides.

I think they are referred to as the "Hilltop", set of three. Who would know? :) They are small, like the ones in the old moter hotels.

That is incredible! and thats just it no one will ever know, up until now that is! Thanks to HAIF. You win this weeks award for lost and found treaures of old East End! Applause meter please!

Now for a picture of these little homes we hope. :D

That is incredible! and thats just it no one will ever know, up until now that is! Thanks to HAIF. You win this weeks award for lost and found treaures of old East End! Applause meter please!

Now for a picture of these little homes we hope. :D

I haven't had much luck scanning the guides, comes out too small. Can anyone help me out here, any tips?

The address for the Hill Top Village Apartments (c. 1943) is 915 Broadway. (From AIA Houston Architectural Guide) 1990, Stephen Fox

Couriously, the older Houston Architectural Guide by Peter Papademetriou (1972), lists the same little structures (simply referred to as "Residences") at 8115-8121 1/2 Channelside St. - circa 1930. :huh:

• The title was changed to Broadway St. At Harrisburg Blvd.

Archived