Eastwood Civic Group

Its "East End" related so here we go!

(Directly across the street from Cage Elementary)

Please join us Monday, May 7th, for our monthly Eastwood Civic Meeting.

We

will meet at 6:30 PM at the Cape Center at 4501 Leeland.

We will also cover updates of events in our community, including recent

urban corridor planning meetings.

If you are a resident homeowner in the Eastwood neighborhood, and ave

not

signed our deed restriction renewal, please stop by to sign.

We look forward to seeing you Monday.

I attended yesterday and couldn't help but notice that there was mention of the latest news on Gus Wortham Golfcourse and the new stadium.

This group seems to be in the know that this facility is going to be placed at Gus Wortham.

If memory serves well (or not) I thought it was decided this was not going to happen?

Seems they indicated that the golfcourse hadn't been taken care of too well lately so the decision was made to do the Dynamo deal there?

Correct me if mistaken.

PS, There is going to be a Super Neighborhood meeting tonight at Vila de Matel Convent 6:30. There should be more on the subject and more I hope!

See ya there! :P

there's a small group of people who are sending out flyers/notifications etc that the stadium deal is still go. I know the councilmember is getting pissed as are a few neighborhood activists who are trying to preserve the golf course.

there's a small group of people who are sending out flyers/notifications etc that the stadium deal is still go. I know the councilmember is getting pissed as are a few neighborhood activists who are trying to preserve the golf course.

I was quite surprised to hear of this and most in attendance were all for it. Eastwood is going to be far enough away that traffic wont be an issue for them.

Idlywood, Country Club Place, Sunnyland and is it Forest Park sub? will all be affected hardcore! Traffic from 45/Wayside is already hellish. The place is going to become hell period.

On a positive note someone better get with the program and start building up Lawndale Avenue all the way to 75th! I mean with gas stations, Banks, restauraunts and strip joints >:) kidding. The calm before the storm. Somethings blowing in the wind....

FYI,

Tonight at the Magnolia Multi-Service Center, 7037 Capitol street

there will be an update on the Gus Wortham Golf Course status.

Just thought some of you might be interested. :P

FYI,

Tonight at the Magnolia Multi-Service Center, 7037 Capitol street

there will be an update on the Gus Wortham Golf Course status.

Just thought some of you might be interested. :P

should be very interesting.

Please keep us updated. The future of Idylwood, Country Club Place, and Sunnylan(d) is directly related to the fate of the golf course.

well....looks like it will definitely remain a golf course. there was an interesting amalgamation of groups this evening. all want the golf course saved, but each has its own ideas. i will try and summarize what i remember.

The City wants to redo the course should funding become available. they are going to the private sector to try and get help like they did at memorial/hermann courses. at the minimum it will remain as is. one improvement to be made sounds like the driving range will have lights installed. the lights are recycled from memorial which is replacing theirs.

long term, sounds like the city wants to move the club house to s. wayside. and they also want to expand the clubhouse so it can be used for rental space. Residents weren't too thrilled about the move but the club house replacement was nice.

sounds like the city will being promoting the course to the downtown business people since it is only 10 mins or so. seems memorial and hermann get promotion but gus wortham doesn't.

there were quite a few whose preference is to leave it as is so that fees aren't raised to 47 like they are at memorial. there were quite a few people there who said that you can't get a tee time at memorial because the internet site is poor so they don't want gus wortham to change in that manner. i personally haven't played golf since i was a kid so i don't know how they've changed. i guess the green fees at wortham are 25. the numbers are what the people were saying.

one other juicy tidbit, seems there are two groups wanting to save gus wortham and they are already at odds. i've known the leader of one of the groups for a long time. she always wants to be in charge. i met the leader of the other group recently and she seems to be strongwilled herself.

if you have any specific questions, ask and maybe it will jog my memory

This is definitely good news! Personally, I would like to see the landscaping around the course improved, and I would like to see that chain-link fence around the course permanently removed, or replaced with something more attractive. A split-rail fence might look nice... Do you know where I could find a rendering of the proposed clubhouse?

This is definitely good news! Personally, I would like to see the landscaping around the course improved, and I would like to see that chain-link fence around the course permanently removed, or replaced with something more attractive. A split-rail fence might look nice... Do you know where I could find a rendering of the proposed clubhouse?

the plan isn't developed yet so there really are no specific renderings. at least that were available that night. this is all in the preliminary stage only.

i know there was a comment concerning the fence....replace it with a concrete wall.

the plan isn't developed yet so there really are no specific renderings. at least that were available that night. this is all in the preliminary stage only.

i know there was a comment concerning the fence....replace it with a concrete wall.

Screeeching halt. Concrete wall? Although I am sure that will look really nice and luxurious, I believe graffitee will be an onging dilemma. Bus stops run all along the Golf course and some jerks will have nothing better to do.

On the other hand I am eager to see what this Clubhouse will look like too. Its sad that the original is gone. It would be great if they tried to make it seem as original as the original. See photo in Mansions of East End I think? It was so elegant I remember.

That school across the street was one of the worse ideas they ever had. The area is so crammed as is then they add this school complete madness. No room and dangerous.

Screeeching halt. Concrete wall? Although I am sure that will look really nice and luxurious, I believe graffitee will be an onging dilemma. Bus stops run all along the Golf course and some jerks will have nothing better to do.

On the other hand I am eager to see what this Clubhouse will look like too. Its sad that the original is gone. It would be great if they tried to make it seem as original as the original. See photo in Mansions of East End I think? It was so elegant I remember.

That school across the street was one of the worse ideas they ever had. The area is so crammed as is then they add this school complete madness. No room and dangerous.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the concrete wall, myself. But with the new clubhouse, I personally hope that they go with a design that is really avant-garde. There is nothing more pathetic than when people try to build new old stuff. Restoration is one thing, but if we're going to build from scratch, build for today.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the concrete wall, myself. But with the new clubhouse, I personally hope that they go with a design that is really avant-garde. There is nothing more pathetic than when people try to build new old stuff. Restoration is one thing, but if we're going to build from scratch, build for today.

Nice new and modern is fine. Hopefully the one that designs the clubhouse will make positively sure that its elevated high enough to get the great views of downtown and beyond.

This could be their one and only chance to make this place bedazzle attendees. This area has so much beauty beyond our imaginations we can't let it sift through our hands. My home has great views of the wooded area on the east and DT skyline to the West and that's because I wanted to make sure I got the best bang for my buck. You would be surprised what a world away it is to see the Near East End from a second or third floor level. Even the sounds below go away. Gus Wortham can rival River Oaks Country Club or Woodlands golf areas if positive ideas and enthusiam prevail! :D

A concrete wall?! I'd rather have the existing chain link fence, as it allows one to actually see the golf course. The golf course contributes to the natural beauty and slightly rural feel of the area, a solid wall, be it made of concrete, stone, brick, wood slats, etc. would totally destroy this effect. Plus, Vertigo brings up a good point about a potential graffiti problem. Come to think of it, does the course even need a fence? The courses at Hermann Park and Memorial park don't have fences...

I also agree with Niche's opinion that it would be better to build an ultra modern clubhouse, rather than try to relplicate the original Sanguinet & Staats building. I imagine that this renovation will have a limited budget, and a good re-creation of the original building would be insanely expensive. Most likely, we would end up with a mediocre knock-off. As Ben Koush stated in his recent Cite article, the Wayside corridor has its fair share of good Modernism. Therefore, a well-designed Modern clubhouse at Gus Wortham would be in keeping with the area.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm adding to this kind of late, but I haven't looked at this site in a while...

I regularly attend Eastwood's civic meetings, and let me say in response to Vertigo's comments that, to my knowledge, the Eastwood civic group has always been opposed to the idea that Wortham be turned into a practice facility for the Dynamo. I've been to several meetings where the course's future was discussed, and the tone was always that the community wanted to preserve the course for natural and historic reasons.

I went to the Wortham meeting hosted by Alvarado a few weeks ago, and it seemed to me the idea of putting a soccer facility on the site was off the table.

Just getting that out there.

• 2 months later...
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a Lawndale Civic Association (website would be helpful)? And what is the major delineating line between Lawndale and Eastwood (or even Broadmoor)?

Thanks.

Broadmoor is covered by the Eastwood Civic Assn. Don't know about Lawndale.

Broadmoor is covered by the Eastwood Civic Assn. Don't know about Lawndale.

I believe Lawndale is also included.

from their newsletter - these are the covered subdivisions:

Eastwood

Archived