nissan versa

musicman

i'm thinking of purchasing one and want to know whether anyone has anything bad to say about the car. i test drove one and thought it was solidly built.

I have something bad to say about it....they're pretty ugly.

Have you looked at the Mazda 3 hatchback? I think its a smidge smaller than the Versa, but a great little car, with lots of high end options for not a lot of $$

I have something bad to say about it....they're pretty f*(&ing ugly.

Have you looked at the Mazda 3 hatchback? I think its a smidge smaller than the Versa, but a great little car, with lots of high end options for not a lot of $$

the sedan wasn't something i liked but the hatchback i found interesting. if it was that ugly, i probably wouldn't even consider it. i'm making an attempt to try and buy an economical car. i set a hard limit of 30 mpg city. 20 yrs ago i drove a 4 cyl car and it had NO pickup. this has a 6 speed transmission that really surprised me with its pep.

i did look at the madza online but the mileage was lower. i think 26. the engine in it causes the price to be higher.

Edited by musicman

While I appreciate the Versa's European small car style (the Renault influence can be seen all over it), I find the Honda Fit to be a more compelling choice. A friend of mine has the sport model and, even though I drive the much larger Passat, I am constantly amazed at how much room that little car has. It's very Japanese looking, but strong resale and a sporty drive are pretty much guaranteed.

While I appreciate the Versa's European small car style (the Renault influence can be seen all over it), I find the Honda Fit to be a more compelling choice. A friend of mine has the sport model and, even though I drive the much larger Passat, I am constantly amazed at how much room that little car has. It's very Japanese looking, but strong resale and a sporty drive are pretty much guaranteed.

i test drove with my bro who commented that the foot room was considerably tighter on the Fit. he's 6' and said he felt squeezed.

I have something bad to say about it....they're pretty ugly.

I like it's edgy look, here are some options from Wikipedia.com

250px-07-Nissan-Versa-hatch.jpg

they look better than the common Mazda 3, which looks like a poor mans version of a BMW 3 series, whose styling is pretty old now, (I think 3 or 4 years)

250px-Mazda3_5door.jpg

and the Honda Fit, which was an old carry over from Japan.

250px-2007-Honda-Fit-Sport.jpg

Some other good tiny hatchbacks are the Scion xD and the Toyota Yaris. The xD is basically a 5 version of the 3 door Yaris.

250px-Toyota-Yaris-hatchback.jpg

250px-Scion_xD_at_Chicago_Auto_Show,_2007.JPG

If you want to spend a bit more though, I'd hold off for the 2009 Corolla, or get yourself a 2007 Civic.

250px-CorollaAxio.jpg

250px-06-07_Honda_Civic_EX_sedan.jpg

I know they are not hatchback, but they are way nicer!

We may eventually get a Civic hatchback again, which looks amazing!

250px-2006_Honda_Civic_5-door.jpg

i did look at the madza online but the mileage was lower. i think 26. the engine in it causes the price to be higher.

You should go drive one. Life is too short to drive something boring and pedestrian because of 4 mpg.

You should go drive one. Life is too short to drive something boring and pedestrian because of 4 mpg.

to be honest, i don't get into cars. i need to get to work with a some pep and a cd player. i know people that get bored and move on yrly or every 2 yrs to another one. i will go later and look at the mazda. from the picture, it looks pretty boring too.

i did drive the corolla and it was ok but the automatic didn't really give me hope of at least some power. maybe all the cars in the segment are boring.

puma as for the civic, i don't like the look. too bubbly or like a log splitter.

Edited by musicman

The Versa looks pretty nice. I think read that it has as much rear room as a Camry. It does show that Renault influence. The Honda Fit might be worth looking at also. Four-door hatchbacks are so practical, it's surprising in a way that so few are available. I can't believe they don't sell that Civic 4-door hatchback here - the sedan the US gets is so dowdy compared to it.

The Versa looks pretty nice. I think read that it has as much rear room as a Camry. It does show that Renault influence. The Honda Fit might be worth looking at also. Four-door hatchbacks are so practical, it's surprising in a way that so few are available. I can't believe they don't sell that Civic 4-door hatchback here - the sedan the US gets is so dowdy compared to it.

i ended up getting a corolla with standard transmission and dealt directly with the manager of the dealership. he was the only one who would give me numbers (not ranges of numbers) without having to wait. 32 mpg city is a dream come true for me!

Edited by musicman

Yeah puma, You'll like that Civic until something from the road bounces up into the engine compartment and destroys the ABS or flies into the fanbelts because the car has NO WHEELWELLS. Way to save a dime Honda. :wacko:

EDIT: I cannot believe the amount of errors in this one little post, it is like somebody else was controlling my fingers. ARGH!

Edited by TJones

Yeah puma, You'll like that Civic until something form the road bounces up into the engine comparment and destroys the ABS or flys into the fanbelts becaus ethe car has NO WHEELWELLS. Way to save a dime Honda. :wacko:

It doesn't appear to be unsafe at all. The 5-door Civic has an NCAP rating of 4/5 for occupant protection.

i ended up getting a corolla with standard transmission and dealt directly with the manager of the dealership. he was the only one who would give me numbers (not ranges of numbers) without having to wait. 32 mpg city is a dream come true for me!

You already bought something? OMFG. It takes me months to find the right car at the right price....

It doesn't appear to be unsafe at all. The 5-door Civic has an NCAP rating of 4/5 for occupant protection.

Never said the car didn't have a firewall to protect passengers, just no wheelwells, the engine compartment won't be safe from debris on the road.

Edited by TJones

You already bought something? OMFG. It takes me months to find the right car at the right price....

i don't live in my car i just want something reliable. i knew i was going to shoot for 30 mpg. who ever had the guts to offer me real numbers then i knew i could deal. i'm a numbers person.i just took a friend from work out for cinco de mayo to celebrate the purchase and to thank her for the pain i put her through yesterday. i've known her 10 years and she's a sweetie. when we were at the first dealership, she was in disbelief in what the people were telling us. she's black and her mom (who i like too and was talking to on the phone) said "lee are they black?" and i said yeah...and she said don't give into them! LOL we went out with another black person for the late lunch and he was offended by the comment. i have good friends is all i can say!!

JM1fd...take us with you......i'm sure we can get you a deal!!

Edited by musicman

JM1fd...take us with you......i'm sure we can get you a deal!!

Yes...but it probably won't be a good enough deal. :) I paid $15,000 under sticker for my most recent purchase. I sold the car before that for $900 less than I paid for it after 2.5 years and 30k miles of use.

Yes...but it probably won't be a good enough deal. :) I paid $15,000 under sticker for my most recent purchase. I sold the car before that for $900 less than I paid for it after 2.5 years and 30k miles of use.

What kind of car was that $15k under sticker jm1 ?

I dont know anything about the Versa and the Honda Fit looks tiny. My choice for econo crusier is the Scion. I perfer the XB. Great looks (I like the box and mods), great mileage, roomy, toyota reliability, INSANE resale value. Used is almost the same price as new???!!!

I dont know anything about the Versa and the Honda Fit looks tiny. My choice for econo crusier is the Scion. I perfer the XB. Great looks (I like the box and mods), great mileage, roomy, toyota reliability, INSANE resale value. Used is almost the same price as new???!!!

yeah...they are saturn=esque...no price haggling. the sticker IS the price.

I test drove a Scion tC with my sister recently....neither of us were impressed. You can get a whole lot more car for the money elsewhere. I guess that's the price you pay to look trendy.

I agree with what was already said above. For a small, economical car, the mazda 3 cannot be beat. Take one for a drive and you will see why.

the person i went with just rode in one last weekend and she said don't buy it. back seat room was too tight for her and she's not a big person.

*sigh* Too late. He already bought a snoozemobile Corolla.

and i'm snoozing at 32 mpg city. so far so good.

I really like the mazda 3's especially the Mazdaspeed 3's as well as the Mazdaspeed 6's and regular 6's.

Next weekend hopefully I will be able to pick up a Mazda 6 GT that I have been talking to the sales guys about quite a bit lately.

the person i went with just rode in one last weekend and she said don't buy it. back seat room was too tight for her and she's not a big person.

She's full of crap. My mother has a 3 hatchback, and I'm a BIG BOY and I have no issues with the back seat.

I really like the mazda 3's especially the Mazdaspeed 3's as well as the Mazdaspeed 6's and regular 6's.

I was very disappointed with the Mazdaspeed 3. I was hoping it would be all wheel drive...in fact I was planning on buying one if they made it AWD...but no. ~263hp to the front wheels is just sillyness.

wow, i'm late coming into this thread....but since u just want something reliable i think u made a good choise.

i personally like Honda's and quite frankly I'm a mod person...other car enthusiasts know once u get the mod bug ur addicted, lol. anyway, unfortunately Honda's reliabilty has hindered a bit, mostly known for having tranny problems on there newer models and lacking in some amenities.

since ur just looking for something reliable to get u to from point a to b corollas will do the job, but i'm assuming u got the 4 cyl? that's gonna take some getting use to, either way congrats on the purchase :)

Edited by TexasArchitect

since ur just looking for something reliable to get u to from point a to b corollas will do the job, but i'm assuming u got the 4 cyl? that's gonna take some getting use to, either way congrats on the purchase :)

there is only a 4 cyl available. i got standard though so i would have more pickup. it's doing fine so far. i've already gone over 200 miles and still have more than 1/2 tank of gas. that just amazes me.