Stonewall Jackson Junior High School At 5100 Polk St.

Anyone remember which rival school wore maroon and white?

I have a good feeling it may have been Edison Junior High in Magnolia?

I was going to say Jeff Davis on the near North Side but that was a Senior High. If anyone else can help? Go Leopard's!

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

Anyone remember which rival school wore maroon and white?

new_Jackson_Cheerleaders_I.jpg

The Cullen Bobcats wore Maroon and light gray. I just spoke to one of the ladies in their office. The school is on Scott st. So they would have been one of our rivals. ...Oh wow, check out the pick in post 57. Look at the sign on the fence. It says CULLEN. I just noticed that.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

The Cullen Bobcats wore Maroon and light gray. I just spoke to one of the ladies in their office. The school is on Scott st. So they would have been one of our rivals. ...Oh wow, check out the pick in post 57. Look at the sign on the fence. It says CULLEN. I just noticed that.

Good eye one the sign...I was too busy looking at the building. So if you could find out when they played Cullen in 1970, you would know what day these images were taken.

Here is a aerial shot of the Jeppesen Statium area from that time. Bounded by (N) Holman (E) Cullen (S) Wheeler (W) Scott. The entire area was owned by HISD until 1971 when it was sold to U of H. The road that led to Little Jeppesen is now called Cougar Place and the location of the stadium is now student housing. Unfortunately they took down most of the pine trees that you see on the east side of the stadium

Little_Jeppesen.jpg

Edited by isuredid

I was across the street the other day and noticed the main entrance has 1925 above. Wow! I still want to know what became of those trophies in the cases?

Maybe I should be daring and walk inside! Would be a trip after 30 plus years!

There was a teacher named Mr Barnhill he taught Geography I think? His room was on the 3rd floor next to stairs and next to the cafeteria. The room faced the football field. He used to flirt with all the teachers around the area. We used to laugh when he would pull open his desk drawer and take out his little flask of whisky! Guess he had to cope with the wild students somehow. Now wonder he always sounded so monitone and slurred in speech. Too bad there wasn't video cams then he would have been great on film. There was a Mrs Byrd that was living hell. I was definetly on her doo-doo list. I imagine everyone had one or 2 they despised for one reason or another & vice/versa. :wacko::lol:

I was across the street the other day and noticed the main entrance has 1925 above. Wow! I still want to know what became of those trophies in the cases?

Maybe I should be daring and walk inside! Would be a trip after 30 plus years!

There was a teacher named Mr Barnhill he taught Geography I think? His room was on the 3rd floor next to stairs and next to the cafeteria. The room faced the football field. He used to flirt with all the teachers around the area. We used to laugh when he would pull open his desk drawer and take out his little flask of whisky! Guess he had to cope with the wild students somehow. Now wonder he always sounded so monitone and slurred in speech. Too bad there wasn't video cams then he would have been great on film. There was a Mrs Byrd that was living hell. I was definetly on her doo-doo list. I imagine everyone had one or 2 they despised for one reason or another & vice/versa. :wacko::lol:

I remember those pictures and trophies. They had the same thing at Austin. Old photos of guys wearing leather helmets with no face guards.

I had an English teacher named Mrs. Harris who was on the third floor NE corner room. She was quite old already and so, was probably gone by the time you got there. She was the teacher that had all of the contents of her desk dumped out the window along with everything else in the class that wasn't bolted down. Mrs. Harris got tired of reading the same stories to her various classes several times a day so she would record them on a reel-to-reel tape recorder and just play the stories back for each class. The only problem was the sound quality on the reel-to-reel was so bad that no one could understand a word of what she was saying on the tape but her. Nobody ever said anything about it though because it was a nice break. I remember one of the stories was "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry. She would sit there listening with a rapt look on her face, and would occasionally chuckle when she heard the funny parts of the story. I could understand the title and after that it was just a garbled mess of muffled sounds.

Another thing I remember about her class is that boys would chew paper into paper mache and then throw the wad at a framed picture of George Washington up in the corner of the room (you know the picture). By the end of the semester the picture would be totally obscured.

Edited by isuredid

I had Mrs. Smart for homeroom. She would get so mad if anyone was chewing gum. She said we looked like cows chewing our cud. I had Mrs. Fife for music and also Mr. Crabb. I still have an old autograph book where he signed his name and drew a crab. He was a nice guy.

I had Mrs. Smart for homeroom. She would get so mad if anyone was chewing gum. She said we looked like cows chewing our cud. I had Mrs. Fife for music and also Mr. Crabb. I still have an old autograph book where he signed his name and drew a crab. He was a nice guy.

Lord! I had or recall all of these teachers. I think Mrs Smart had dark bags under her eyes too. Man were the kids that bad! :wacko:

After gym we would sit on top of the metal grating above the air shaft above the swimming pool. One day either there was a prank or some custodian was plastered and put way too much chlorine in the pool and the fumes went straight up to us dopes sitting there and it spread like a mushroom cloud and everyone got real sick including me! Couldnt breath. I get a migraine just thinking of it! There were so many dumb pranks in them there days. Trash cans set on fire, etc.

The school riots were the most outragious. One day after lunch as we walked out from the 3rd floor, there were what seemed like hundreds of kids just fighting and kicking and pulling hair and tossing boks at each other and Coach Herman couldnt control it. Just like out of a movie! No joke! Fights were normally because the kids that lived on the other side of the frwy couldnt ever get along with everyone from our nabe. Some things never change. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Last night on Channel 39 they did a story on how dilapidated the building has become.

They said it was 86 years old?

These were the 1st interior shots I had seen in over 35 years. Rain water seeps in through many of the frames of the windows and mildew and mold are at an alarming rate. HISD is asking for thousands from the city to renovate, etc. This place was OLD when we all went there and we had to tolerate it. Kids these days are soooooo lucky to get publicity and $ from the city. I just don't recall any hoopla at all in those days. We just accepted it and went to school. :wacko: IMO they should just demolish and build brand new. Why not? in other upscale nabes thats what they would do. I hate when they just do a bandaid/cosmetic job.

Then again, this part of town normally settles for whatever crumbs they through their way.

Last night on Channel 39 they did a story on how dilapidated the building has become.

They said it was 86 years old?

These were the 1st interior shots I had seen in over 35 years. Rain water seeps in through many of the frames of the windows and mildew and mold are at an alarming rate. HISD is asking for thousands from the city to renovate, etc. This place was OLD when we all went there and we had to tolerate it. Kids these days are soooooo lucky to get publicity and $ from the city. I just don't recall any hoopla at all in those days. We just accepted it and went to school. :wacko: IMO they should just demolish and build brand new. Why not? in other upscale nabes thats what they would do. I hate when they just do a bandaid/cosmetic job.

Then again, this part of town normally settles for whatever crumbs they through their way.

My calculation from the date it was built over the front door makes it 82. Remember Vert.. They are channel 39 reporters, not REAL reporters. :P I saw the same report. It was the first time I had seen those halls in 35 years. But when I last saw it it was two tone prison green, not gray. I must say I had forgotten all about the many pipes that ran overhead in the halls. I wish they would fix the old school up. The windows were replaced the year after I left because thats the year they got air conditioning and the old windows leaked way too much to hold in any cool air.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Am I wrong or did Jackson start out a HS and become a Jr. High when RHS was built?

Not sure what RHS stands for but Jackson has always (or was) a Junior High School as far as I know.

Oddly enough that after 35 years or so the scene surrounding the football field has gone virtually untouched. Most of the large brick homes are all still there. Most of the wooden shacks ie; the music room, other homerooms including my old one, have all been removed. There was no fence surrounding the field or front but I think there is now.

This old school resembles 2 others I know of, the HS in the Heights and the one on Almeda near DT. Built in 1920's??? Still wonder what became of all of those great old trophies in the huge glass cases at front entrance at Jackson? Landfill? :angry2:

• 4 weeks later...

Former Jackson Jr High alumni. Here is a pic of Jaime Davila & family. He is mentioned every now & then when the names of EE notables topics arise. My big bro played baseball with him at EE Little League circa 1972. Was a very easy going guy.

A very promising career cut short by trajedy... -_-

and chron article:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

UT_Law_Grad_DavilaFamily[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am currently living in the East End region my family has been living here since 1980 or 79 I have been living here since of course 89'. I went to Burnet Elementary school and Jackson Middle school and fortunately graduated from a recognized exemplerary preparatory school, Eastwood Academy Charter High school. I am fascinated with this blog because I dig the history that surrounds me and what it's become. I entered Jackson Middle school 2002-2004 two years the seventh and eight grade. My homeroom class in the seventh grade was in the second floor on the northeast side of the building by the main enterance on the right. My teachers name was Mrs. Lacy and she was the tallest lady, the english teacher, in the bunch,staff, gigantic with a strong and powerful character. This is them.

jackson-1.jpg?t=1219608788

jackson-3.jpg?t=1219609859

This was the evil bunch, starting with Rosana on the right, Melanie, Balbina, and ??? on the left

jackson-2.jpg?t=1219609904

Edited by LiveEastEnd

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

When I was at Jackson Jr. High, 1963-1966, I believe the band director was Frederick J. Barto. He was, in fact, a very skilled jazz musician, mostly flute, I found out later. As someone else mentioned, the 'band shack' was in one of the temporary buildings (nothing so permanent as a temporary building at a school...) off to the left of the main building when you stood on Polk (you could walk out onto Baird St - there was no fence back then of course).

• 2 months later...

Thanks -- a great photo that really brings back memories. I lived a couple of blocks away from Jackson and spent grades 7, 8 and 9 there with Mrs. Dorrill as my homeroom teacher. After school and on weekends, a bunch of my neighborhood pals and I would ride our bicycles to the school for the sheer joy of zooming in and out of the front entrance arches and then down the steps, all the way to the street. Those old Schwinns with coaster brakes and big tires were really sturdy!

• 2 months later...

I attended Jackson from 1969-72, then went on for a year to attend SFA High, finally moving on to Pasadena High, where I spent a year prior to moving on to an almost 25-year career with the U.S. Air Force. I finally retired from the AF back in 2000, opting then to relocate to Phoenix, AZ., where I remain to this day.

When I Googled Jackson Junior High this morning I sort of stumbled across this site. My God! This is so nice! Looking at the various pics, especially the one of Susan standing in front and off to the side of the campus on the last day of school in 1972 almost brings me to tears of joy. Now I'm not a guy who's prone to a lot of sentiment, but I have to say--that REALLY tugged at the ol' heart strings.

My name is Robert Sikes, and I played on the football team (Leopards!) for Coach Hermann all three years of my attendance. God, I feel like Al Bundy right about now--remembering all the fun times, hard times, competition, girlfriends, good guy friends, teachers, laughter and tears, the pain of trying to fit in with certain groups but frequently unable to do so...and on and on!

A few years back I returned to Houston in order to make the arrangements necessary to bury my Mom. Despite all of the pain that was involved with making that horrible trip, I knew I had to include a trip to the old neighborhood. I was a bit shocked at just how the East End looks after so many years away, but there were a few aspects of the area around Jackson's campus that had remained intact just enough to make the ol' nostalgia juices flow like a river. I even saw an old friend who I barely recognized from back then. Sadly, he had turned into a street person, an alcoholic, and had little recognition of me.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I hope to hear at least one reply from someone who might remember me. If not, oh well...it's still great reminiscing with everyone here. Thanks again.

Rob

• Like 2

Looking once again at some of the pictures posted here, and seeing the one of the neatly manicured front lawn of Jackson, I noticed what seems to be a monument, or structure, adjacent to steps (not sure what this type of structure is called) of sorts. It also appears to be directly in front of the old tree that is about 20 yards or so (?) in front of the main entrance. While looking around at the picture and observing the steps, I couldn't help but reminisce about my first kiss. That kiss took place directly underneath that same tree. The girl that I kissed was Barbara (last name omitted) and I can still remember the events like they were last week.

Funny how something as simple and seemingly as innocent as a photograph can spark such a myriad of memories and emotions. Thanks for the memories.

I attended Jackson from 1969-72, then went on for a year to attend SFA High, finally moving on to Pasadena High, where I spent a year prior to moving on to an almost 25-year career with the U.S. Air Force. I finally retired from the AF back in 2000, opting then to relocate to Phoenix, AZ., where I remain to this day.

When I Googled Jackson Junior High this morning I sort of stumbled across this site. My God! This is so nice! Looking at the various pics, especially the one of Susan standing in front and off to the side of the campus on the last day of school in 1972 almost brings me to tears of joy. Now I'm not a guy who's prone to a lot of sentiment, but I have to say--that REALLY tugged at the ol' heart strings.

My name is Robert Sikes, and I played on the football team (Leopards!) for Coach Hermann all three years of my attendance. God, I feel like Al Bundy right about now--remembering all the fun times, hard times, competition, girlfriends, good guy friends, teachers, laughter and tears, the pain of trying to fit in with certain groups but frequently unable to do so...and on and on!

A few years back I returned to Houston in order to make the arrangements necessary to bury my Mom. Despite all of the pain that was involved with making that horrible trip, I knew I had to include a trip to the old neighborhood. I was a bit shocked at just how the East End looks after so many years away, but there were a few aspects of the area around Jackson's campus that had remained intact just enough to make the ol' nostalgia juices flow like a river. I even saw an old friend who I barely recognized from back then. Sadly, he had turned into a street person, an alcoholic, and had little recognition of me.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I hope to hear at least one reply from someone who might remember me. If not, oh well...it's still great reminiscing with everyone here. Thanks again.

Rob

Everybody will remember you, Robert. Glad you found us.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My mothers' parents went there around 1930/1934, both of my parents went there, my brother and I went there (1990's) briefly before moving to Austin HS. My uncle has a bunch of report cards from my grandparents which I would love to scan...but he won't part with them. I used to skip class and go shoot pool and play video games at UH- can't get away with that anymore. :(

• 1 year later...

I attended Jackson Jr. High from 1975 to '76 for 7th grade.  It was indeed a dangerous school.  There were frequent fights involving girls, boys.  There was this unwritten rule of safety:  never hang out by yourself (or you risked being bullied, threatened.)  My parents had no idea how scary this school was.

Some of you have mentioned a woman named Olga Campos.  The name sounds familiar and I wonder if someone can tell me what years she attended.  I remember I had a friend named Sophia who lived across the street and was very close to her father.  I had another friend named Bridget, I believe, who wore braces and had long red hair.  Anyone know these girls/ladies? 

I also remember this really tough Latina named Deena who used to smoke on campus.  One day, the teacher walked out, probably to the restroom and Deena broke out the Marlboro's and smoked right there, inside the classroom.  Anyone remember her? 

I also recall this other girl named Mary Bean.  She was always in trouble for smoking and I remember the principal, (Principal Morgan?) yelling at her in his office one day and he screamed out her name, 'Mary Bean!'  She walked out of his office with a tissue in her hand, crying, muttering something about why she smoked.  It sounded like she was telling him she had a broken home or something and just didn't care so why should he, something to that effect.  She was blond with long hair.

Also, there were two gym teachers I remember.  One was African American and all the girls loved her.  I don't remember her name.  All the girls, however, didn't care for this other teacher whose last name was Theofilu.  The kids pronounced her name Theofilia.  Can anyone tell me anything about her?

I went by Magdalena at the time but my name is Maya.  Thanks in advance for your comments!

• 3 weeks later...

While the Warehouse District/EaDo was recently rezoned from E. O. Smith (Smith was turned into the HISD school for boys) to Jackson, I don't think too many students were added considering the gentrification that has happened there.

• 1 year later...

I went to Jackson about 1970-1972. I knew Mrs Fortenberry, and I was her daughter Tracy's friend growing up on Auburndale.

I went to Jackson about 1970-1972. I knew Mrs Fortenberry, and I was her daughter Tracy's friend growing up on Auburndale. Before I went to that school I had been at J P Henderson on Telephone Rd. But Tracy and I had been close friends , we always played over at her grandmothers Mrs. Culver on Auburndale. It was a life time ago but I never forgot Tracy. :)

Edited by vicki

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Stonewall Jackson High School On Polk St.
  • The title was changed to Stonewall Jackson High School At 5100 Polk St.