New Earth-like Planet Discovered!

citykid09

I thought this was really cool.

Scientists find most Earth-like planet yet

POSTED: 4:35 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- European astronomers have found the most Earth-like planet outside our solar system, and here's what it might be like to live there:

The "sun" wouldn't burn brightly. It would hang close, large and red in the sky, glowing faintly like a charcoal ember. And it probably would never set if you lived on the sunny side of the planet.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/04/25/h...tion=cnn_latest

I have always wondered about other planets and if there is live in other places besides Earth. I hope that life could be found on another planet within my life time. And if it happens I hope the aliens are friendly and look like somewhat like humans so that they won't scare people. What do you all think?

story.gliese.afp.gi.jpg

two interesting parts about the article are that this planet could be double the size of earth. So if it is like earth, I can only imagine the amount of life on the planet. Secondly, if it is just oceans or does have rocky land. I wonder how advanced the civilization would be? And what that would mean to us?

two interesting parts about the article are that this planet could be double the size of earth. So if it is like earth, I can only imagine the amount of life on the planet. Secondly, if it is just oceans or does have rocky land. I wonder how advanced the civilization would be? And what that would mean to us?

If it's mostly water, they MUST be like the folks from Atlantis.

Waterworld or

like those Sea Monkeys with little crowns :lol:

I'd hope that if there ever were intelligent life discovered outside of the solar system or wherever, that they'd be really cool, friendly, and civilized and not nasty, icky, and out to destroy (and/or eat or maim) us.

If there is somewhat civilized life on that planet, I wonder if they suffer from allergies and how they cope?

If it's a water planet prolly not. However, I wonder if they fight with each other like we do here on planet earth. Like I wonder if they fight over who has the best deep spot or who gets the spot at the warm volcanic vents. LOL

Guest Marty

There is probably several hundred planets in our universe that are like Earth. Your great grandchildren might get a chance to make radio contact one day with another civilized society. :)

Wow, I am often amazed at how many people believe in the proposition of life on other planets. I guess if you believe in a full scientific explanation of the origin of life and our species it is not a huge stretch. But for me it clashes with my thoughts on the origin and complexity of life. Fun to think about though

Wow, I am often amazed at how many people believe in the proposition of life on other planets. I guess if you believe in a full scientific explanation of the origin of life and our species it is not a huge stretch. But for me it clashes with my thoughts on the origin and complexity of life. Fun to think about though

Well westguy, what are you thoughts? How do they clash?

Edited by Montrose1100