Houston Is Fattest City Again

Houston once again has been named the fattest city in the country, according to Men's Fitness magazine, Local 2 reported Wednesday.

It's the fourth time that the Bayou City has received the title. Last year, Houston was ranked second, behind Detroit.

The 2005 rankings are as follows.

Houston

Philadelphia

Detroit

Memphis

Chicago

The magazine said one of the reasons Houston topped the list was because it has more fast food restaurants per capita than any other city in the country.

Houston Mayor Bill White has big plans to move Houston off the fat list. He said our weather could be a big help to help the city shape up.

"It's been in the 70s for the last two weeks. I work out year-round, as do a lot of other Houstonians. This is a great city for year-round weather," White said.

The mayor will announce a physical fitness challenge Monday afternoon at City Hall. Stay tuned to Local 2 and Click2Houston.com for details.

The fittest cities, according to Men's Fitness magazine, are as follows.

Seattle

Honolulu

Colorado Springs

San Francisco

Denver

The 50 largest U.S. cities were assessed in 14 categories, including the number of gyms, fast-food restaurants, the amount of exercise, alcohol consumption, television viewing habits, climate, parks and recreational facilities.

For more information on the specific criteria, visit www.mensfitness.com/rankings/201.

To provide feedback on the Men's Fitness classification, visit www.mensfitness.com/contact.

Houston once again has been named the fattest city in the country, according to Men's Fitness magazine, Local 2 reported Wednesday.

It's the fourth time that the Bayou City has received the title. Last year, Houston was ranked second, behind Detroit.

The 2005 rankings are as follows.

Houston

Philadelphia

Detroit

Memphis

Chicago

The magazine said one of the reasons Houston topped the list was because it has more fast food restaurants per capita than any other city in the country.

Houston Mayor Bill White has big plans to move Houston off the fat list. He said our weather could be a big help to help the city shape up.

"It's been in the 70s for the last two weeks. I work out year-round, as do a lot of other Houstonians. This is a great city for year-round weather," White said.

The mayor will announce a physical fitness challenge Monday afternoon at City Hall. Stay tuned to Local 2 and Click2Houston.com for details.

The fittest cities, according to Men's Fitness magazine, are as follows.

Seattle

Honolulu

Colorado Springs

San Francisco

Denver

The 50 largest U.S. cities were assessed in 14 categories, including the number of gyms, fast-food restaurants, the amount of exercise, alcohol consumption, television viewing habits, climate, parks and recreational facilities.

For more information on the specific criteria, visit www.mensfitness.com/rankings/201.

To provide feedback on the Men's Fitness classification, visit www.mensfitness.com/contact.

He he he :P So I moved from the fittest city to the fattest city! The funny thing is I actually lost weight after moving here! Good I thing I dont go to fast food restuarants.

I'm very optimistic about Mayor Bill White but if he's going to give ANY credence to what Men's Health says about which city is "fatter" then maybe Houstonians should've given Sylvester Turner a stronger lookover as a mayoral candidate.

Men's Health's approach to this is about as credible as me rating the quality of various public schools by the number of pencil sharpeners it has per student.

Ummm, cornbread, mashed potatos and gravy. Streak and fried onions, pork chops and candi yams. green beans and pinto beans, ummmmm. Soul food to fast food. Fast food to seafood, wow i just can't help myself. The best resturants right here in houston, ummmm. Gosh, making me hungry just by typing it.

Alright, back to my senses. Mayor White can not change how people eat, are their lifestyle. Houstonians love to eat out. We're the most eat out city in the nation, an its no way MAyor White could stop that. Everyday, and every nights i see resturants packed, parking lots full like it was a weekend. My girl just called me saying where we going to eat at tomorrow? Pappas it is!

They had a ton of them in San Francisco in their first year as well (I think Houston took the record from them by four or five, can't remember the exact difference).

Meanwhile, I hope through all of this joking that people here also notice that there are hardly any accidents on the LRT anymore. There have been about five (I believe) since the end of October.

well, I agree that Men's health's (is that proper grammar?) rating really doesn't take account of alot of things.

Granted *I* am a little on the tubby side, but I AM losing some tonnage. And lord knows I've met MY fair share of Fat Minnasotans. (??)

Fat Hawaiians? HELLO! Look at the louas (sp)...

:D

according to actionamerica.com we are due to have a ton of more accidents because the chronical (which according to them is the only news source in town) doesn't splash them on the front page anymore.

Ricco