I'm Looking For Piano Stores

I bought my Yamaha Clavinova from Brook Mays on the Southwest Fwy.

They had pretty good service... Let you try out and play on as many pianos for as long as ya want without pressuring you.

I don't know if better prices can be found elsewhere, but they certainly didn't over-charge either. It seems I ended up paying right about what I expected going in.

Yes, Brook Mays PianoMax is the local Yamaha dealer.

Brook Mays PianoMax

3133 Southwest Fwy

Houston, TX 77098

713-942-8484

Brook Mays PianoMax

4530 F M 1960 W

Houston, TX 77070

281-890-6951

Brook Mays Pianomax

20225 Katy Freeway

Katy, TX 77450

281-492-9791

Forshey Piano, which used to be on Kirby near Alabama, has a new store on 59 near Park Place Mercedes. They are the local Steinway dealer but they carry no Yamaha pianos nor any electronic keyboards (unless they do a few electronic organs for the church market.)

marmer

Well a digital piano is like combining a computer with a piano. You get the true sound of a grand piano, plus hundreds of different sounds and musical accompaniments that you can arrange. On a digital piano, you can also record on a Floppy Disk or through your computer into Midi files. :)

Do you play? if so what type of music?

Yes, I've been playing for 10 years. I have a Yamaha Clavinova here at home, but when I move over there for college, I'll need something to play.

Yes, I play anything from classical to pop and rock n' roll. I arrange the sounds and accompaniments so it sounds like an actual band or orchestra. I really like to play AC/DC songs.

Edited by Rio Grande Valley

Yes, I've been playing for 10 years. I have a Yamaha Clavinova here at home, but when I move over there for college, I'll need something to play.

Yes, I play anything from classical to pop and rock n' roll. I arrange the sounds and accompaniments so it sounds like an actual band or orchestra. I really like to play AC/DC songs.

i always recommend the real thing, but if you're doing this for your enjoyment, get whatever your preference is. i play classical about 95% and i prefer a real piano. At UH they have plenty of practice rooms with pianos in case the clavinova doesn't pan out quickly. Rice also has some nice practice rooms.

i always recommend the real thing, but if you're doing this for your enjoyment, get whatever your preference is. i play classical about 95% and i prefer a real piano. At UH they have plenty of practice rooms with pianos in case the clavinova doesn't pan out quickly. Rice also has some nice practice rooms.

You're right, its not as good as the real thing... but its also a good holdover for people that can't afford the real thing that want to keep their fingers in shape until they can.

Having roomies, i figured it would be a good to have so I can play and not disturb them.

Also.. when i was searching, I priced pianos... anything I found for less $ than the Clavichord actually didnt sound better becasue you're talking uprights in poor condition or so old their sound is very degraded.

I figure in another 2 years when I don't live with roomies and my car is paid off, a baby grand will be my '2nd car'....

When I started grad school at UH, the first week there I went over to the Music school to see about pratice rooms. They shooed me out.. said that the few they had were for music students only.

Far cry from A&M when practice rooms for anyone could always be found.

OK. In real life I am the facilities manager of the music school at Rice. I appreciate the compliment on the pianos and practice rooms, but they are for Rice students. Not necessarily just music majors, but music majors have priority. The people who are using them are using them for coursework, just like labs for science majors, studios for archi majors, etc.

marmer

When I started grad school at UH, the first week there I went over to the Music school to see about pratice rooms. They shooed me out.. said that the few they had were for music students only.

Far cry from A&M when practice rooms for anyone could always be found.

guess you didn't look liberal enough. ;) I never had problems using them while i was there. but i do understand that the music students do have priority. i befriended a music major while I was there and she's now a prof of music pedagogy. i'm sure she could give you approval of some sorts.

and to marmer, i didn't know where hiway6 was going to school but i had to mention Rice's facilities because i thought they were nice as well.

guess you didn't look liberal enough. ;) I never had problems using them while i was there. but i do understand that the music students do have priority. i befriended a music major while I was there and she's now a prof of music pedagogy. i'm sure she could give you approval of some sorts.

and to marmer, i didn't know where hiway6 was going to school but i had to mention Rice's facilities because i thought they were nice as well.

Well, I've been out of school for a few years, so while that info would have been good to know had I been a liberal looking music major, it doesnt really effect me so much now.

Plus, if i get the inkling to play and my Chlavichord just won't cut it, i have a piano access at my old church.

musicman: no offense taken, thanks for the compliment.

RioGrande: I would strongly recommend you go the Clavinova route. They have great feel and are very reliable, not to mention the MIDI interface. Also, with a real piano you will have moving, tuning, regulation and climate control issues which can be a big hassle and cost you big bucks. We use nine Clavinovas in our class piano lab and are very happy with them.

marmer

musicman: no offense taken, thanks for the compliment.

RioGrande: I would strongly recommend you go the Clavinova route. They have great feel and are very reliable, not to mention the MIDI interface. Also, with a real piano you will have moving, tuning, regulation and climate control issues which can be a big hassle and cost you big bucks. We use nine Clavinovas in our class piano lab and are very happy with them.

marmer

How does the action compare with an acoustic piano's? Is the 'touch' as subtle?

My exposure to modern digital pianos has been limited. Most of my playing has been done on worn-out uprights, which has restricted me mostly to whorehouse music. ;)

How does the action compare with an acoustic piano's? Is the 'touch' as subtle?

My exposure to modern digital pianos has been limited. Most of my playing has been done on worn-out uprights, which has restricted me mostly to whorehouse music. ;)

Yamaha makes a lot of normal acoustic pianos as well. I believe their higher end digital keyboards use key designs and technology sourced from their acoustic pianos. This is a big advantage for Yamaha as opposed to the synthesizer makers like Roland, Korg, or Casio. As far as the subtlety of touch, well, it's pretty good. It is not as good as a brand new concert grand but in my opinion it's as good or better than any upright piano, even a brand new one. Also, unless you abuse it, the touch will stay consistent longer.

Unfortunately, there's no "honky-tonk" or "saloon" setting, so whorehouse music will not sound right. :)

marmer

Yeah the advantages of a Yamaha digital piano over an acoustic piano are:

• Indistinguishable piano sound
  • the feel of the keys is that of an acoustic with the option of adjustment
  • NO TUNING
  • I think the Yamaha Clavinova does have a honky-tonk sound :lol:
  • Lasts longer than an acoustic
  • can connect to an amplifier for concert settings
  • can record music on a diskette or through your computer into MIDI files

Edited by Rio Grande Valley

not sure if i'd agree with this one in particular.

Yes, exactly. In terms of short term need for maintenance, the Clavinova wins. But assuming you make the long term commitment to environmental control and maintenance, the acoustic piano has no projected end of lifespan barring accident or vandalism. We have several pre-1930 Steinways in regular use and we have faculty members who often give concerts using pianos from the 1800s. The oldest is an 1810 Rosenberger fortepiano, there's also an 1845 Conrad Graf which is unrestored (!) except for strings, hammer felts, and dampers.

marmer

• The title was changed to I'm Looking For Piano Stores