Sao Paolo goes billboad-free

This will be a very interesting experiment. The law apparently only outlaws large signs, not all signs. Billboards can be quite pricey -- I wonder where the advertisers will spend that money now. Internet? probably. Newspapers? probably not. Radio/TV? maybe (thank God for DVRs).

Guest danax

The law is "a rare victory of the public interest over private, of order over disorder, aesthetics over ugliness, of cleanliness over trash," Roberto Pompeu de Toledo, a columnist and author of a history of S

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but having worked in advertising for several years I am a bit partial to it. I admit it can get out of hand (1960 area horrible) but if minimal it can be pleasing to the eye. There was a recent article about illuminated mobil truck advertising which I find quite cool. With a bit of imagination this form of advertising could really reach new heights!

ca9.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but having worked in advertising for several years I am a bit partial to it. I admit it can get out of hand (1960 area horrible) but if minimal it can be pleasing to the eye. There was a recent article about illuminated mobil truck advertising which I find quite cool. With a bit of imagination this form of advertising could really reach new heights!

ca9.jpg

They have those around here, and I have mixed feelings about them.

- I think they're an innovative way to distribute a message to a large number of people

- Because they're trying to reach as many people as possible, they're attracted to high-traffic areas. And when you're stuck behind someone's rolling ad in traffic or are unable to make a right turn, you get angry.

So far the only advertisers I've seen use them are strip clubs and Hummer dealers.

In the winter there are plexiglass-sided trucks filled with heat lamps and sand and fake palm trees and tanned bikini-clad women and Speedo-wearing men that drive tossing beach balls and waving to people outside in the snow advertising vacations in Mexico. I don't know how successful they are, but they're at least creative. They must work somewhat because they've been back every winter for the last three years.

I admit it can get out of hand (1960 area horrible) but if minimal it can be pleasing to the eye.

I think the Sao Paolo law is a move to get rid of what's gotten "out of hand." I'm in marketing and I love good advertising, too -- I think it's definitely an art form. But so much of it is not "minimal" -- a lot of it screams at you -- either visually or audibly. Billboards are no exception.

Perhaps if Houston got rid of billboards, we'd notice how awful most of our freeways actually look, and there would be more beautification of the roadways. Wishful thinking, I know.

They have those around here, and I have mixed feelings about them.

Your right,

and coincidentally there was media coverage on Houston's approach to billboards. They said there haven't been any real noticable billboards built here since an ordinance was passed in 1980. Sounds about right. The story was directed on how various business' rely so heavily on this 24/7 (there I go) advertising and how it works great for them. The downfall was the seedier more risque' types of advertising which are more annoying than anything. Example: Adult themed business's and liquor ads. In case people forget cigarette ads on billboards were banned years ago. I could swear I saw one recently though? :ph34r:

I think advertising can be done tastefully, and I am an avid fan of such "tasteful" advertising. But I'm happy for Sao Paulo, if only we could get I-45 billboard free... or atleast the one that has Team Mobile on one sida saying "Fewest dropped calls in Houston!", and on the other; Sprint: "Most reliable network in Houston". :wacko:

I think the Sao Paolo law is a move to get rid of what's gotten "out of hand." I'm in marketing and I love good advertising, too -- I think it's definitely an art form. But so much of it is not "minimal" -- a lot of it screams at you -- either visually or audibly. Billboards are no exception.

Perhaps if Houston got rid of billboards, we'd notice how awful most of our freeways actually look, and there would be more beautification of the roadways. Wishful thinking, I know.

In a city of 14m --largest in this hemisphere I believe-- you have got to have some sort of control. I applaud them.