Need some HDTV advice

Looks like I'll be hanging the TV by myself. The building wants $150 to do it. For that price, I'll try it myself first.

I'll just have to remember to leave the room and have my wife use the studfinder so it does constantly beep.

Even with you out of the room, expect some false positives! And I cannot stress enough that having a friend assist with the installation will make the job go much smoother. And don't mount it too high, it isn't a picture!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like I'll be hanging the TV by myself. The building wants $150 to do it. For that price, I'll try it myself first.

I'll just have to remember to leave the room and have my wife use the studfinder so it does constantly beep.

Oy Vey! Please leave the comedy to us professionals! :rolleyes::P:lol:

I have to tell ya Wayne, I had some tense moments yesterday when I was hooking the new TV up. I had a FUN time finding the right angle so that the TV would fit in the Armoir. That damn Samsung was messin with me. I got it in there finally with a shoehorn. I didn't account for the space that the speakers were in. It is all done though, with minimal cursing.

ok,ok, it WAS funny.

My Samsung no longer loves me. After having it for just five days it's sick. Not quite dead, but certainly not right.

It works fine for about five minutes, then the picture gets all scrambled for a little bit and then it goes black. The sound continues. It happens no matter the source (cable, antenna, Apple TV through HDMI, etc...)

It seems to me that as the TV is waming up a cable is becoming unseated. Then when I turn it off for a bit it cools enough for the connection to resume.

The TV place is sending someone out Thursday morning to look at it. I hope he brings some tools and fixes it and doesn't just say, "Yup, it's broked. We'll have a new one in six weeks."

My Samsung no longer loves me. After having it for just five days it's sick. Not quite dead, but certainly not right.

It works fine for about five minutes, then the picture gets all scrambled for a little bit and then it goes black. The sound continues. It happens no matter the source (cable, antenna, Apple TV through HDMI, etc...)

It seems to me that as the TV is waming up a cable is becoming unseated. Then when I turn it off for a bit it cools enough for the connection to resume.

The TV place is sending someone out Thursday morning to look at it. I hope he brings some tools and fixes it and doesn't just say, "Yup, it's broked. We'll have a new one in six weeks."

Tell the TV store to have another one loaded up in the truck and ready to go if there is an unfixable problem.

ouch. lcd technology is usually better than that!! good luck

I'm not mad or anything. I know stuff like this happens, especially with new technologies that are in high demand. Heck, when I was a kid I had to return my Commodore 64 to Crazy Eddie's 11 times before I got a good one.

The customer service from the store was excellent. They answered the repair line on the first ring and didn't argue with me about anything. Not what I'm used to. We'll see what happens.

I asked if they'd bring a new one, or try to fix the one I have. They said the tech has to look at the current one and declare it dead before they'll send out a replacement.

I've never heard of Vizio. Olevia, isn't that the brand by Syntax-Brillian? I read an article recently that said the company planned to spend a huge amount of money on advertising this year so people would know who they are. Unfortunately, the article didn't say how good their stuff is.

I do know that Syntax-Brillian is an American company (based in Arizona), so if you're the type who's into that thing, here's your last chance.

I've never heard of Vizio. Olevia, isn't that the brand by Syntax-Brillian? I read an article recently that said the company planned to spend a huge amount of money on advertising this year so people would know who they are. Unfortunately, the article didn't say how good their stuff is.

I do know that Syntax-Brillian is an American company (based in Arizona), so if you're the type who's into that thing, here's your last chance.

In plasma circles, Vizio is known as a good quality value model sold at Costco. They have a number of models, so check out avsforum for some user experiences.

i just set up my girlfriend with HD OTA, bought a Terk non-directional HD antenna from best buy to try it out. we were able to pick up over 20 digital channels when moving it to the right location. if i want to add an individual channel (not using the scan), its asking for RF Channel ID (Westinghouse LCD). i tried putting in the Frequency assignment from antennaweb, as well as the channel number with no luck. any idea what they're asking for?

i just set up my girlfriend with HD OTA, bought a Terk non-directional HD antenna from best buy to try it out. we were able to pick up over 20 digital channels when moving it to the right location. if i want to add an individual channel (not using the scan), its asking for RF Channel ID (Westinghouse LCD). i tried putting in the Frequency assignment from antennaweb, as well as the channel number with no luck. any idea what they're asking for?

maybe the signal for that particular channel is weak and that is why you aren't able to tune it. there are many unknowns.

maybe the signal for that particular channel is weak and that is why you aren't able to tune it. there are many unknowns.

i know that's the case, when i do the master scan the signal is too weak for a particular channel, so it doesn't pick it up. what i want to do as try to scan for an individual channel, without doing the whole scan which erases all the channels. that way i can move the antenna slightly, and try to get the single channel i'm looking for.

i know that's the case, when i do the master scan the signal is too weak for a particular channel, so it doesn't pick it up. what i want to do as try to scan for an individual channel, without doing the whole scan which erases all the channels. that way i can move the antenna slightly, and try to get the single channel i'm looking for.

on mine there is a parameter for signal strength. bring that parameter up and move the antenna to different positions til you get a better signal. otherwise you might need a signal booster.

on mine there is a parameter for signal strength. bring that parameter up and move the antenna to different positions til you get a better signal. otherwise you might need a signal booster.

cool thanks. the signal strength shows up when the scan is in progress, but didn't see it otherwise. i'll look around. i just looked at the manual online and it wasn't very helpful. i'll play around this weekend.

i was pretty excited to get as many channels as we did. last time i tried it was 3 years ago in Seabrook, and barely got anything. I've been with TW since then, but now that i'm in midtown i may revert to OTA. though i don't think i could live with ESPN and Fox Sports.

cool thanks. the signal strength shows up when the scan is in progress, but didn't see it otherwise. i'll look around. i just looked at the manual online and it wasn't very helpful. i'll play around this weekend.

i was pretty excited to get as many channels as we did. last time i tried it was 3 years ago in Seabrook, and barely got anything. I've been with TW since then, but now that i'm in midtown i may revert to OTA. though i don't think i could live with ESPN and Fox Sports.

FYI if you still have cable, many of the digital channels are also avail for free. i believe ch 13 is 88.7 on TW.

Editor, what's the verdict on your new Boobtube ?

It's not fixed yet, but I'm still really pleased with the service.

The guy called at 7:08am to tell me he'd be here between 8:30am and 10:30am. He arrived at 9am.

After a little twiddling with the remote control he said I needed a part. He explained why, but he had a seriously thick Japanese accent so I'm still not sure exactly what's wrong with it. Anyway, he said that part would take two weeks to come in, and I told him that is unacceptable because I'm moving in a few days, which explains the mountain of cardboard boxes in the living room.

Here's where the good customer service comes in..

Instead of telling me too bad, I just have to wait two weeks for the part, he gets on his phone and calls the store. He calls the sales department to verify that there's another TV in stock, then he gets transferred to service and tells them the TV is entirely dead and must be replaced. He then schedules a replacement TV delivery for Monday morning.

So, instead of waiting two weeks for the part, I'm getting a whole new TV on Monday, in time for my move.

THAT's what I call customer service.

Here's the update:

• 7:56am - I get a call from the delivery guys in the truck saying they'll arrive between 9:30am and 11:30am.
  • 10:59am - I call the guys in the truck to see if they're going to be here soon because I have to take a shower and go to work. The call goes to their cell phone which immediately hangs up. That's a good sign that they might be close because cell reception in my corner of the city is crap.
  • 11:39am - I get a call from the delivery guys. They claim to be outside my door. I check, and they're not there. Turns out they're at 400 East Randolph Street instead of 400 East South Water Street. No big deal, it's only a block away.
  • 11:43am - I get a call from the delivery guys. They claim to be outside my building, but it's only an empty field. Turns out they're at 400 East North Water Street instead of 400 East South Water Street. They're on the other side of the river at the future site of the Chicago Spire.
  • 11:49am - I get a call from my doorman. The delivery guys are here. I tell him to send them up.
  • 12:00pm - I have to leave for work, so I plug the TV in, turn it on and leave it on when I go. Since the last TV lasted two days, I hope that leaving it on all day today will make any problems evident by the time I get home.

Latest update:

It's been running Apple TV for about 30 hours now. Hopefully that means this one is a good one. But the last one crapped out after two days, so there's still a chance something will go wrong.

• 4 months later...

It looks like broadcasters have been taking steps to encourage the switch to HDTV.

Has anyone else noticed that newscasters have started wearing a lot of diagonally striped neckties in the past few months? On non-HD TVs, this causes 'strobing' and Moire' patterns. This cannot be accidental; broadcasters and wardrobe consultants have been aware of this problem for many years.

Perhaps creating distracting elements will prompt people to upgrade.

Gosh, things are sure different depending on where you live! We have Directv and they install a special dish for HDTV. and give you a special HD Tuner Box. The Vizio is a Walmart brand and is great. We bought the Sanyo 42" LCD HDTV,with a little Vizio logo on the top left. We love the picture and with Direct TV, you get lots of HD Programming. We have Comcast in town, but nobody likes it.

It looks like broadcasters have been taking steps to encourage the switch to HDTV.

Has anyone else noticed that newscasters have started wearing a lot of diagonally striped neckties in the past few months? On non-HD TVs, this causes 'strobing' and Moire' patterns. This cannot be accidental; broadcasters and wardrobe consultants have been aware of this problem for many years.

It's not intentional. Unfortunately, that much thought isn't put into newscasts these days.

The reason it is happening is because most TV stations in the country have done away with their wardrobe and makeup people. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10 TV stations in the entire country that still have makeup and wardrobe people. I remember KHOU did away with its makeup person before 2000. The makeup room is now a hallway.

Strictly speaking, the producers of the shows should talk to the anchors about this, but they're all very young these days and don't notice it (it usually doesn't show up inside the building), and they're far too busy doing the jobs ten other people to worry about clothing. They just hope the anchors can figure it out for themselves.

Perhaps creating distracting elements will prompt people to upgrade.

The TV stations have no incentive for people to go HD. In fact, the stations resisted it for years. You can blame congress and the electronics industry for everyone having to get new sets. Don't blame the TV people -- the last thing they wanted to do is spend money in a down market.

It's not intentional. Unfortunately, that much thought isn't put into newscasts these days.

The reason it is happening is because most TV stations in the country have done away with their wardrobe and makeup people. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10 TV stations in the entire country that still have makeup and wardrobe people. I remember KHOU did away with its makeup person before 2000. The makeup room is now a hallway.

I first noticed it on the Today show; Matt Lauer has been consistantly wearing 'strobing' neckties for about six months. Never used to, and I doubt if they're skimping on makeup, wardrobe or hair for ol' Matt.

It's been more recently that I've noticed local newscasters with the wacky neckties - it seems like a trend.

I bought a TERK amplified hdtv indoor antenna from a radio shack going out of business for 22 bucks. It is amplified, but a bit bulky. i keep it on a window sill and get pretty much all the local HD channels save for a few spanish ones (boo hoo).

Its worked out well for me, and the price was right. Also, it pairs up great with my media center PC, in case you were thinking of going that route in the future.

Official Site

Here it is at RadioShack for 39 bucks

**oops, forgot to mention i CANNOT pick up magnum PI reruns on digtial channel 51 no matter what, so, if that you want to see magnum PI, this antenna is not for you...

thank you

• 1 month later...

FYI, MicroCenter will have great deals on HDTVs again like they did last year. They will sell Olevia Syntax HDTVs. These incredible deals will be on Black Friday. You will have to get in line early(around 2am) at the store. If you plan on buying a 42" or 37", it should be ok. Most people don't spend that much, so less buyers, but the 32" ones will sell fast!!

Olevia Syntax isn't a name people in America are familiar with, but from what I've read the parent company is very well respected in electronics in its home markets. It's using the HD changeover as its excuse to get into the U.S. market and it's trying to undercut the other TV manufacturers on price in order to spread its name into more households. I've not heard anything bad about the TVs, so this might be a good chance to try out a new compay.

Olevia Syntax isn't a name people in America are familiar with, but from what I've read the parent company is very well respected in electronics in its home markets. It's using the HD changeover as its excuse to get into the U.S. market and it's trying to undercut the other TV manufacturers on price in order to spread its name into more households. I've not heard anything bad about the TVs, so this might be a good chance to try out a new compay.

I bought one last year from Microcenter on Black Friday and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Just an awesome tv. You are correct in their price undercutting to get their name out. Vizio also has been getting their name out. That is the reason why Sharp Aquos has dropped its price also. Sharp had a friends and family deal going on last month by cutting their 42" sets for like 49% off. Nowdays, you can find good deals just about anywhere if you are vigilant, but the great deals still are on Black Friday.

Archived