Shots Fired Inside NASA

From CNN.com:

Gunman opened fire at NASA building, police say

NASA evacuated a building at the Johnson Space Center in Houston after a person with a gun was seen and a shot was fired, a NASA spokeswoman said Friday. Brandi Dean said it was not yet known if anyone was hurt. Local police were on the scene, she said. NASA spokesperson, James Hartfield, told CNN there were gunshots heard in the building. He added NASA security rules do not allow weapons on the property.

i'm in mission control now and they won't let us leave. i know that a friend works in the security area and she said they were investigating two incidents. one was someone barricaded and someone with a gun. i guess they are the same.

Oh, an insider, be safe.

I have a friend that works their too, I hope everyone is safe.

Edited by Pumapayam

i'm in mission control now and they won't let us leave. i know that a friend works in the security area and she said they were investigating two incidents. one was someone barricaded and someone with a gun. i guess they are the same.

Maybe you should keep communicating via Haif if you cant reach family????

Maybe we can do something if you need us!

Maybe you should keep communicating via Haif if you cant reach family????

Maybe we can do something if you need us!

Love it, like Justice League, only the HAIF version.

Team HAIF to the rescue! :D

Is it a disgruntled employee?

Any of y'all at JSC, stay safe. Let us know if we can do anything.

This is what the Chronicle has up:

Authorities have evacuated Building 44 at the Johnson Space Center because of reports of a man with a weapon, according to a JSC spokeswoman.

KPRC was reporting that Jacobs Engineering, a contract employee, is confirming that the alleged gunman works for them.

There were reports that several shots were fired, but NASA spokesman Bill Jeffs would not confirm that.

Authorities received reports that a gun shot was fired at Johnson Space Center building 44 in Clear Lake at 1:59 p.m. today.

Houston Police including a SWAT team were at the scene, as well as NASA security.

It was not immediately clear whether anyone was missing or injured.

NASA spokesman Kelly Humphries said the incident appears confined to Building 44.

``Other than that, it doesn't seem to have affected our activities out here,'' Humphries said.

NASA security got a phone call at 1:40 p.m. about a person with a weapon at Building 44, an office building where engineers work on communications systems.

People were told to leave Building 44, and workers in other buildings were told to remain there.

Building 44, which sits in the middle of the 1,600-acre Johnson Space Center campus, includes offices and two labs. It is an engineering facility for communications and tracking involved in space shuttle work.

From television helicopter camera shots on Channel 11, many Houston Police cars were seen around the building.

Clear Creek ISD's Space Center Intermediate School, with about 900 students, is currently on lockdown status. No injuries have been reported.

NASA spokesman James Hartsfield said the building was ``one of the smaller'' office buildings on the JSC campus, where Mission Control is based. He declined to speculate on how a person would get a gun inside NASA security or what his motives would be.

The identity of the armed man is not yet known. Evacuated employees were outside the building, and moved to the east side of nearby Building 25, which is a safety barrier. Some of the employees were sitting under trees and talking.

Anyone who comes on to JSC property has to have an employee badge or a visitor badge. Visitors must show a drivers license or some other form of identification to be cleared to be on the property.

there was just an announcement in mission control that everyone can now leave.

News just said that the man has a hostage and had targeted one person. He knew what he was doing and where he was going. They are in a conference room.

Well, at least you are not in harms way. What is your job over there?

engineer. evidently the guy's name is bill phillips and he went into a conference room and asked everyone to leave except for one person. supposedly 3 are unaccounted for...but they may have left early or something.

Edited by musicman

I heard on the news that the guy was a white male, age 50-60.

That being said, I am now fearing a backlash against the white male community.

he's dead and so is hostage. another escaped supposedly.

Edited by musicman

Why did he do it?

The guy who got killed is supposedly David Beverly. David was a NASA lead to the shooter Bill Phillips. Bill was supposed to be building some additions to a computer docking station with certain specifications. David evidently had to repeatedly tell him he was not building to specification and evidently over time the stress built. He lady was a person who did configuration management for the group. David is the only person that people can't contact so that's why they think he was the hostage who was killed.