Thrift Shops & Flea Markets

There's a flea market on SW Freeway and Windswept, but that's the only one I've noticed from driving by. Which ones are you familiar with?

That's absolutely the best one out there, hands down. There is also a cluster of them up on Airline, just south of Gulf Bank, a big indoor one at the southeast corner of Edgebrook & Shaver in Pasadena, one just south of there along the south side of Shaver between Old Galveston Road and Interstate 45, another big enclosed one on the South Loop between MLK and Mykawa, and another one in a former K-Mart at Long Point and Hillendahl. There are at least two along I-45 that are north and south of downtown, and inside the Beltway, but I can't remember where exactly. There is also one along the south side of I-10 in Channelview that has a huge craptastic white elephant mounted on a pole. Baytown also has one, I think along Decker at Goose Creek.

And of course, there's Trader's Village, but that's a different kind of beast.

Don't ask me how I know all these... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
There's a flea market on SW Freeway and Windswept, but that's the only one I've noticed from driving by. Which ones are you familiar with?

There is a huge one in Pearland, I think it's called Coles. Everything from indoor stores with antiques to dusty outdoor booths.

and never underestimate a thrift shop!

One day years ago I went along with some friends to a Salvation Army surplus store on the east side of town. We were merely looking for vintage looking jackets to wear to parties. I was sifting through and a houndstooth jacket caught my eye. It had that mid-60's look so I tried it on and it fit. As I opened the inside to see the lining and pockets I noticed little images of peoples faces and thought it was unusual. I took off the jacket and opened again and each face had George, Paul, Ringo & John written under each little face! The label pocket read Apple Boutique-London, England 1966.

I am still in shock! I wore a few times and said no this sucker is going into the vault! I have saved it since and am considering selling to someone that might be able to display. I want others to be able to enjoy it. Maybe there will be an Antiques Roadshow on Rock N Roll Memorabilia?

So you never know what treasure you might find ...and by the way the jacket was only $2.50 :lol:

There is also the WHite Elephant Flea Market on the Baytown East Frwy near Channelview. There is another Flea Market on Telephone at the Beltway. There is still yet another Flea Market on Hwy.6 in Mission Bend area, but it is very much like the one on Hwy.59 and Westpark.

Katy Christian Ministries is an excellent thrift shop, from what I hear, and it is in Katy proper. Never actually been, and there is a big Thrift Store on Hwy.6 next to the Track 21 just past Cairnway Dr.

Edited by TJones

One day years ago I went along with some friends to a Salvation Army surplus store on the east side of town. We were merely looking for vintage looking jackets to wear to parties. I was sifting through and a houndstooth jacket caught my eye. It had that mid-60's look so I tried it on and it fit. As I opened the inside to see the lining and pockets I noticed little images of peoples faces and thought it was unusual. I took off the jacket and opened again and each face had George, Paul, Ringo & John written under each little face! The label pocket read Apple Boutique-London, England 1966.

I am still in shock! I wore a few times and said no this sucker is going into the vault! I have saved it since and am considering selling to someone that might be able to display. I want others to be able to enjoy it. Maybe there will be an Antiques Roadshow on Rock N Roll Memorabilia?

The Apple Boutique has an interesting history. This site lists some auction prices for Apple Boutique clothing. I noticed that the "mod outfit" description says: "The inside lining of the jacket, has a repeat design of The Beatles heads featured from the 1966 cartoon series."

There is a huge one in Pearland, I think it's called Coles. Everything from indoor stores with antiques to dusty outdoor booths.

Coles USED to be a really good flea market with a wide variety of antiques, interesting junk, better garage sale type stuff, live plants, costume jewelry, etc. When I was there last fall, many of the antique shops were closed or vacant and the stalls were filled with cheap imports, work wear, fake perfume. One dealer told me that the market had changed to reflect the customer base. It was crowded and filthy. I have been in better mercados in small, non-tourist towns in Mexico.

Edited by silverartfox

The Apple Boutique has an interesting history. This site lists some auction prices for Apple Boutique clothing. I noticed that the "mod outfit" description says: "The inside lining of the jacket, has a repeat design of The Beatles heads featured from the 1966 cartoon series."

Oh my God! That must be the one, they are cartoon designs. A simply smashing mod jacket indeed!

Picture this with The Beatles faces all inside... :D

1005co-a.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

If you're looking for thrift stores, I go to http://www.theguildshop.org/ a lot -- on Dunlavy between Westheimer and W. Gray.

Also http://www.thebluebirdcircle.com/ on W. Alabama just east of Montrose.

They both have great furniture, and staggered pricing -- the longer it sits, the cheaper it gets.

For anyone whose interested, Blue Bird has a really cool '70s striped velvet couch -- very long -- for only $110. The background is ivory and the thin strips are shades of blue and green. I bought a similar one from Retropolitan Ballroom last year for $550. I was just there today to buy some other stuff. If I had room for it, I'd buy it.

If you're looking for thrift stores, I go to http://www.theguildshop.org/ a lot -- on Dunlavy between Westheimer and W. Gray.

Also http://www.thebluebirdcircle.com/ on W. Alabama just east of Montrose.

They both have great furniture, and staggered pricing -- the longer it sits, the cheaper it gets.

For anyone whose interested, Blue Bird has a really cool '70s striped velvet couch -- very long -- for only $110. The background is ivory and the thin strips are shades of blue and green. I bought a similar one from Retropolitan Ballroom last year for $550. I was just there today to buy some other stuff. If I had room for it, I'd buy it.

Sounds cool, too bad there isnt a pic to check it out! :closedeyes:

Maybe we should start a topic of great finds at Thrift stores?

Let's not forget about Galveston thrift stores, thats where I find relics that others toss out. Your eyes will pop out :wacko: at some of the unknown treasure's there.

Edited by Vertigo58