Growth In Fulshear/Simonton

KHOU seems to have a keen interest in Houston development stories lately. I'm not sure why. One of their reporters called me earlier this week asking for information about new "master planned" developments going up around the city.

Glad to see Nancy Holland still churning out stories. She's one of the few credible members of that newsroom.

KHOU seems to have a keen interest in Houston development stories lately. I'm not sure why. One of their reporters called me earlier this week asking for information about new "master planned" developments going up around the city.

Glad to see Nancy Holland still churning out stories. She's one of the few credible members of that newsroom.

I've noticed that too. But I didn't know it was just a recent thing.

May I ask what significance you have as to why a reporter called you? All I know is that you're editor of this place.

Doug Miller perhaps? he's always at downing street trying to be a politico

Guest Marty

Maybe because this forum is like The Drudge Report of Houston ;) you know first to break the news on Houston and it's progress. lockmat B)

I've noticed that too. But I didn't know it was just a recent thing.

May I ask what significance you have as to why a reporter called you? All I know is that you're editor of this place.

That was it. They wanted to talk to someone with HAIF. I have no ties to the real estate industry. Heck, I'm only a renter!

Doug Miller perhaps? he's always at downing street trying to be a politico

No, it was a woman. Doug's a great guy even if he is a bit of an odd bird. Here's your Houston trivia for the day: Doug Miller was a Jeopardy champion years ago, back before they made the questions easier. Go figure.

Unless I'm mistaken, this forum is the pre-eminent forum for goings on in Houston.

That's what I hear.

I think Fulshear is more west than southwest. Katy growth is thumping that way, though.

Also, I remember last year, this forum was on the news. I think it was for the River Oaks theater. It was on KHOU, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a few reporters are actually members here.

Saw that video. They expect Fulshear to have 20,000 people in a few years (with its 2000 population at 716). They they say 50,000 a few years after that. Meet the new Katy!

Saw that video. They expect Fulshear to have 20,000 people in a few years (with its 2000 population at 716). They they say 50,000 a few years after that. Meet the new Katy!

Trae, it has also been predicted that within 10-12 years, that katy will be the "center" of Houston.

I think Fulshear is more west than southwest. Katy growth is thumping that way, though.

Also, I remember last year, this forum was on the news. I think it was for the River Oaks theater. It was on KHOU, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a few reporters are actually members here.

At least three that I know of. Probably a lot more.

I remember HAIF was on 39's news last year for something, but I forget what.

Fulshear was a nice, slow drive on FM 359 as I rode with my father to Navasota since 359 ends at 290 in Hempstead....Dozier's BBQ was always a stop I wanted to make...now, it's hard as hell to find that place because it's hard to tell when 1093 (Westheimer) and 359 intersects

No kidding, they contacting you based on this website, or was it something else?

That is pretty sweet they are using you are a reliable refernce, and to think you are based in Chicago! :P

Take a look at this report...

In a way it is kinda of sad, because it is destroying the small town feel. I can sense that in the woman's voice.

Is it really necessary that we invade another small town. <_<

We have so much ghetto in Houston that needs to be redeveloped.

I am tired of land developers buying cheap land and ruining the landscape for future sububarn decay. :angry2:

In a way it is kinda of sad, because it is destroying the small town feel. I can sense that in the woman's voice.

I am tired of land developers buying cheap land and ruining the landscape for future sububarn decay. :angry2:

I agree, I'm not fond of the developers doing this either and it makes me wonder how far people will live from the Houston center.

Even more crucial is the ranch and farm land that is being gobbled up for housing. I just hope that chicken doesn't come home to roost on a townhome.

It will turn into Los Angeles. People will move farther and farther away from the center of Houston, but they wouldn't work there in the first place. Regional "downtowns" will start to spring up.

The existence of ghettos is only a symptom of the root problem, which is poor people. Displace them from one ghetto and they'll create another, and in so doing create a new exodus of middle class folks that fuels the suburban periphery.

I agree, I'm not fond of the developers doing this either and it makes me wonder how far people will live from the Houston center.

Even more crucial is the ranch and farm land that is being gobbled up for housing. I just hope that chicken doesn't come home to roost on a townhome.

It's too easy to buy all that land, divide it into smaller pieces and sucker someone into paying more for their postage stamp that lacks adequate roads and emergency services. Developers must be the richest people in the state, which is why this cycle will continue.

Guest danax

It's just the same thing that's been going on here since the beginning.

I was talking to a guy today who grew up in my nabe in the 40s, and the house he just sold and has owned for many years (lives in Pearland now) was owned by a guy who owned most of the land out here, and had a farm (milk barn concrete pad still exists). This man told me a story of how the City asked ihim f he would let them pave his dirt road on his land since it was a shortcut to Downtown (6 miles away) instead of having to all the way up to Harrisburg Road. He agreed, but then regretted it, complaining about all of the traffic (early 1900s) and so went and closed off both ends. When he died the family sold his pecan tree-filled land and it became Pecan Park. If he hadn't already died, it sounds like seeing what happened to his land probably would've killed him.

Figure with the edge cities developing and job decentralization, Fulshear might be considered a suburb of Katy in the future, not Houston, and so the suburban stretch will keeping stretching.

It's too easy to buy all that land, divide it into smaller pieces and sucker someone into paying more for their postage stamp that lacks adequate roads and emergency services. Developers must be the richest people in the state, which is why this cycle will continue.

Fulshear is an incorporated town, so it has SOME municipal services... unlike Fresno, TX.

There was a Chronicle article two years back that focused on exburbs....the trend like most are saying is developing smaller areas outside of larger metropolitan areas...Willis is on the drawing board for a neighborhood and the rationale is that the Woodlands workers want to live close but not in a congested area....lake Conroe is not a resort neighborhood anymore also...

as for 359...I remember Weston Lakes being the turnoff for 359 and 1093...when I went out there 2 years ago it was harder to spot familiar sites

You have no idea what you're talking about. :wacko:

I whole heartedly agree.

Fulshear does not need generic brick and hardi plank homes. The lady in the cafe wants to drive to Fulshear to experience small town life. Not have it be ruined by traffic and crowds.

The existence of ghettos is only a symptom of the root problem, which is poor people. Displace them from one ghetto and they'll create another, and in so doing create a new exodus of middle class folks that fuels the suburban periphery.

Poor people are attracted to those cheap homes selling "FROM the LOWER 110's"

The look nice for about a year, and look like @ss thereafter.

I whole heartedly agree.

Fulshear does not need generic brick and hardi plank homes. The lady in the cafe wants to drive to Fulshear to experience small town life. Not have it be ruined by traffic and crowds.

Well the issue then is that a whole lot of people are similar to the lady. Say it were possible to put a quota on new the number of new residents to that area. How do you decide who gets the priviledge? Money. So basically, the only solution to that which you gripe about is to enforce by governmental action that Fulshear becomes a playground for the rich. Is that fair?

Poor people are attracted to those cheap homes selling "FROM the LOWER 110's"

The look nice for about a year, and look like @ss thereafter.

Yep, that is typical of affordable housing. If they were built with a great deal of quality and craftsmanship, they wouldn't be affordable. Does that mean that they shouldn't be built? Should new construction be something that is reserved for the affluent? Should poor people be relegated to crappy apartment complexes and tiny bungalows and cottages (except that they're being displaced from those even as we speak)? Should they be made to cluster, all in the crappy school districts, all reinforcing the culture of poverty?

Well the issue then is that a whole lot of people are similar to the lady. Say it were possible to put a quota on new the number of new residents to that area. How do you decide who gets the priviledge? Money. So basically, the only solution to that which you gripe about is to enforce by governmental action that Fulshear becomes a playground for the rich. Is that fair?

I think enforcement should be from the local government residence who want to preserve their way of living before the new neighborhood developers. Small towns have gotten rid of Wal-Marts before, why not this too.

Yep, that is typical of affordable housing. If they were built with a great deal of quality and craftsmanship, they wouldn't be affordable. Does that mean that they shouldn't be built? Should new construction be something that is reserved for the affluent? Should poor people be relegated to crappy apartment complexes and tiny bungalows and cottages (except that they're being displaced from those even as we speak)? Should they be made to cluster, all in the crappy school districts, all reinforcing the culture of poverty?

Poor people should live in duplexes and other types of moderate to high density buildings.

Cheap home that destroy arable land and waster material resources is a bad investment, with only the developer coming out on top.

Archived