Railroad Along Heights Blvd., Studemont St., Sawyer St.

a friend lives in memorial heights apartments and i thought it was very noticeable. quite a few people here complain about that train.

I wonder if residents that lived about a couple of blocks away, if it would rattle/rumble their windows or apartment?

I wonder if residents that lived about a couple of blocks away, if it would rattle/rumble their windows or apartment?

depends how well the structure is built probably. i know there's a builder here who is building there and evidently people think twice because of the line through there. i think the horn noise really travels.

depends how well the structure is built probably. i know there's a builder here who is building there and evidently people think twice because of the line through there. i think the horn noise really travels.

If you can ask your friend about the frequency of the train going through there, i would appreciate it. If it is like once or twice a week, then not bad to live around there. If it is multiple times everyday, then not so good.

Edited by icanluv2

Ooh. Well, I don't have an exact number for you, but it's definitely more than once or twice a week. I'd say the trains go by at least 5-6 times/day.

I live more than a mile from the tracks in the Heights, and I hear them go by (there's one right now, in fact). There's usually one at around 3-4 in the morning too.

As for noise/rattling, it's definitely going to depend on the building. If you ever shop at the Target on Sawyer, you can hear the train rumble by quite clearly.

Then there's the switching to the sidetrack/loading/unloading business that goes on near the warehouses.

It's a pretty busy rail line, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. Definitely something to keep in mind when buying in the area.

If you can ask your friend about the frequency of the train going through there, i would appreciate it. If it is like once or twice a week, then not bad to live around there. If it is multiple times everyday, then not so good.

like sunsets said..it is more than once or twice a week. i would hear at least 2 when i would go over for a party.

Ooh. Well, I don't have an exact number for you, but it's definitely more than once or twice a week. I'd say the trains go by at least 5-6 times/day.

I live more than a mile from the tracks in the Heights, and I hear them go by (there's one right now, in fact). There's usually one at around 3-4 in the morning too.

As for noise/rattling, it's definitely going to depend on the building. If you ever shop at the Target on Sawyer, you can hear the train rumble by quite clearly.

Then there's the switching to the sidetrack/loading/unloading business that goes on near the warehouses.

It's a pretty busy rail line, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. Definitely something to keep in mind when buying in the area.

I live in the Heights, near Heights and I-10 I can easily hear the horns....I can't imagine living in the new townhomes that are 20 feet from the tracks....like the new ones being built at Heights and Center......

Guest danax

I work in the area and that train line is well used.

Is this an example of one of the downsides to no central municipal planning/zoning? With development allowed to freely take place, any ideas to reconfigure the crossings with grade separations (such as is currently proposed in the TXDOT Rail Study, proposal below) after redevelopment is well underway, such as now when matching retail has followed the residential wave, would involve the destruction of many of those newly established restaurants along Shepherd/Durham. I'm not saying it would necessarily be any different with zoning, but shouldn't converting an area from scattered shacks and light industry to more upscale residential involve more City participation than selling permits to builders?

40pafj8.jpg

Sorry for the slight topic swerve. Apparently trains are no deterrent to paying $300+K for a home in the area.

Same here. I have lived both south and north of the track. It is rare that I even notice the trains, but when I do, it is not offensive...to me. The blasting bass from vibrating cars bothers me more than the trains. If you suffer from insomnia, it might be an issue, but most people tune it out....just one of the sounds of the city.

Granted, I didn't live 2 blocks away. More like 8. But, it can still be heard. Check the windows. Sturdy windows will not rattle. Better yet, try to view the house when the trains are coming.

I live a couple blocks off White Oak, and it doesn't bother me at all. I agree with the frequency estimates above, and only notice the sound late at night - and only then if I don't have music or the TV on. It's far enough away that, when I hear it, it's just a nice noise in the distance.

With regard to the loudness, I think you should talk to people who live in almost the precise area you're looking. I can imagine the noise might be an issue if you lived between Memorial and I-10.

Another Heights resident here. I just moved to the area and this has become a hot topic in the Woodland Heights bulletin board. From all the resources I've come across, it seems as though the trains come at a rate of about 20 per day so yes it is a busy line. There are some parts of the track that are elevated above the street and some that have gate crossings. The horns are blown as they approach gate crossings. Many residents of both the Heights and Rice Military have discussed this with the city and there is preliminary work being done to address the train horns. Many people want it to be a silent zone just like the track that runs thru Highland Village, and I'm sure that will happen, but we're probably 2-3 years away from that right now based on all the approvals needed from the track operators, funding for the gate guards, etc. But honestly the more people that move into the area, the louder the voice is that will get things rolling on this.

http://www.ricemilitary.org/documents/Rice...aryNews0307.pdf (see page 2)

http://camachoassociates.com/1quietzone.htm local lawyer doing pro bono work on train issues

The trains do come by pretty frequently. One night, there were 3 trains in 15 minutes at 10 PM. And there is always 1 or 2 per night (like at 4 AM).

However, whether you notice them or not can depend on the house. In the past year, I've lived in 2 different townhouses that were both 1 block from the train tracks - one was in a townhouse community, and I was staying in a bedroom on the first floor - with about 10 houses between me and the tracks... and I noticed the trains at first, but got used to it within a week or 2.

Then I moved 2 blocks east to another townhouse that is still 1 block from the same RR tracks... and now I sleep in a bedroom on the 3rd floor - and there is nothing but AIR (1 story houses) between me and the tracks... and it's considerably more noticeable. The first couple weeks, the trains woke me up every night... Now, 2 months later, the 4 AM sometimes wakes me up... like once/week. But, I'm getting used to it, and you can too.

Another thing... a couple weeks ago, when the weather was nice, we were keeping our patio doors open... and when we were watching TV, the trains would be so loud (with the door open) that we couldn't hear the TV, so we'd pause Tivo and wait for the train to go by. (We don't have that problem with the doors closed.)

The trains do come by pretty frequently. One night, there were 3 trains in 15 minutes at 10 PM. And there is always 1 or 2 per night (like at 4 AM).

However, whether you notice them or not can depend on the house. In the past year, I've lived in 2 different townhouses that were both 1 block from the train tracks - one was in a townhouse community, and I was staying in a bedroom on the first floor - with about 10 houses between me and the tracks... and I noticed the trains at first, but got used to it within a week or 2.

Then I moved 2 blocks east to another townhouse that is still 1 block from the same RR tracks... and now I sleep in a bedroom on the 3rd floor - and there is nothing but AIR (1 story houses) between me and the tracks... and it's considerably more noticeable. The first couple weeks, the trains woke me up every night... Now, 2 months later, the 4 AM sometimes wakes me up... like once/week. But, I'm getting used to it, and you can too.

Another thing... a couple weeks ago, when the weather was nice, we were keeping our patio doors open... and when we were watching TV, the trains would be so loud (with the door open) that we couldn't hear the TV, so we'd pause Tivo and wait for the train to go by. (We don't have that problem with the doors closed.)

Good info here. A co-worker was looking at buying the new lofts on Wichman St. Pretty close to railroad tracks. Thanks.

I now live well north of that line - almost to 18th street - and on certain nights you can hear the trains from my house. Granted, we also hear a lot of the traffic in the Eureka Yard (under the TC Jester overpass) and the BNSF line just north of 34th street, but the UP line that you are referring to is much busier than either of those and there are trains going through at all hours.

That said, I used to live in an old house in the Southdale section of Bellaire that was 1.5 blocks from the train tracks and I hardly ever noticed the trains, even at night. You get used to that kind of stuff.

One thing to keep in mind about the rail line in the OP is that the architecture of some of those old mills and industrial buildings along the route are tall and built right up to the tracks in some places so they act like big echoing canyons. It is especially loud in the Sawyer street area near the new Target store, FWIW.

As everyone is saying... Its well used. I was looking at a place on Bonner and also another location by the same builder further west. I thought it was pretty loud.

Here is what you do. Go over there often enough until you catch the train and decide for yourself. I was in the Air Force so loud noise doesnt bother me. F4s are REALLY loud when you live on the base.

I bought off of Rutland and 6th because of the resale if I ever decide to leave and rental options. Others may not want to rent or buy your property with the train cranking through there.

My $.02

Good info here. A co-worker was looking at buying the new lofts on Wichman St. Pretty close to railroad tracks. Thanks.

I looked at those too. Perfect style for me but the price was hard to swallow. I saved about $50,000 and no train.

I live in the Woodland Heights, closer to I-45 than I-10, and I hear it multiple times during the day. Of course, being that far away means I don't have it as bad as some of the others on here.

My parents used to live along a flight path just west of IAH and eventually they learned to tune out the noise.

• The title was changed to Question On Railroad Along Heights Blvd. , Studemont St. , Sawyer St.
  • The title was changed to Railroad Along Heights Blvd., Studemont St., Sawyer St.