Urban Corridor Planning

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw this from blueprint houston. I know much of their stuff is outdated, but they list a few events that are coming up in December and January. This piece of information is above those listed events which leads me to believe this is recent information. Here it is...

Urban Corridor Planning Update

The City Legal Department is working with an external law firm to draft an Urban Corridor Planning ordinance. This next phase of planning will include many opportunities for public input and comment. The Mixed-Use/Transit-Oriented Development Committee of the Planning Commission has reconvened to provide guidance in shaping the ordinance. After their review and approval the ordinance will go to the Planning Commission and to the City Council committee on Regulation, Neighborhood Protection, and Development, and finally to the full Council. Each step in this process will provide opportunities for community input.

I would think this to be very important to Houstonians since it they're creating an ordiance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this to add to my post. I thought it'd be okay to post the entire thing since it's a blog. Not sure about copyright there. Sorry if it's not in line with the law mods....

<H3>Urban Corridor proposals could make Houston more walkable

A pedestrian friendly central Houston--or at least the parts of it along the rail lines--could be a real possibility if new Urban Corridor standards are adopted by Houston City Council.

While the proposals still have a long road of review and public hearings it does pose an interesting alternative to the way the city has always been developed.

The Houston's Department of Planning and Development spent two years on the Urban Corridor planning process to develop the proposals with multiple public meetings in the neighborhoods surrounding of each of the six Metro rail lines.

So far, proposals exist for the existing Main Street rail corridor and the planned north, southeast, East End and Uptown corridors. The University corridor proposal will be developed later.

According to Mike Snyder's story, the proposals include
"recommendations that cover pedestrian zones, building styles, driveway spacing and other elements of development in corridors served by Metro's light rail lines.

For example,
In all the corridors, the city would require a 15-foot pedestrian zone from the curb to the front of the building. Sidewalks would be on the 5 feet closest to the building, with the other 10 feet set aside for landscaping.

Check out Snyder's story and the P&D Web site for more details of what is included.

So far reaction is mixed.

"It's real progress," said David Crossley, president of the nonprofit Gulf Coast Institute. He serves on an advisory panel working on the proposals.

However, Kendall Miller, president of Houstonians for Responsible Growth, a nonprofit group that seeks to limit new restrictions on real estate development, had a different reaction,
"It would be a mistake to use mandatory building requirements as a means to force Houstonians out of their cars and onto hot sidewalks."

http://blogs.chron.com/centralhouston/2008...sals_could.html

</H3>

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I really hope this concept gets put into action. EaDo has some really horrible sidewalks. Well, the streets that actually do have them currently. It's too patchy right now. When the wife and I want to walk into downtown for a meal or whatever, half of the journey is walking on the street hoping we don't get run over.

• 1 month later...

This is the kind of improvement that is needed for this section of downtown. I hope the ball keeps rolling on these and other projects. Once the LRT is complete, more development will follow.

Archived