Houston to Dallas in 40 Minutes

RedScare

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read this thread and noticed an idea that someone else mentioned that I think would work well - trains that carry cars. Actually I was driving north on I-95 once and read billbords advertising this same concept. If the high speed trains were built with this in mind then one could drive onto the train in Houston, sit in a safe air-conditioned compartment (not in the car they drove in on) and drive off in DFW. It would put a new spin on going to watch the Cowboys/Texans game. I bet the airlines and rental car companies would hate this idea. I have traveled quite a bit and have been on trains in The UK, Japan and Continental Europe and while their system works for them, as Texans I doubt we'll ever give up our percieved freedom of private vehicular transportation. Really, a Texan will drive accross the street before being seperated from his truck (yeah truck), nobody walks anywhere. (I know, I do it too.)

Actually, I ride a motorcycle just about everywhere. I can't pass up 44+ mpg. But you know it is true, we don't walk. And most people I know that come here from out of state can't help but comment on the fact that most "cars" on the road here are pick-ups and SUV's.

The signs you saw on I-95 were probably for Amtrak's auto train, which runs from the DC area down to Florida. You can load your car on the train, then ride Amtrak to Florida, and then have your own car to get around in while on vacation.

• 2 months later...
I just read this thread and noticed an idea that someone else mentioned that I think would work well - trains that carry cars.

I just read this thread as well and I also thought that would be a good idea. Perhaps it could be modeled after the Eurotunnel Shuttle.

Open.jpg

ETunnelhoch.jpg

Closed.jpg

I

• 1 month later...
The French TGV set a new speed record of over 357 mph.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11668535/

The record was still shy of the record set by a Japenese mag-lev at 360 mph. At these speeds, a commuter could leave downtown Houston and arrive in downtown Dallas 40 minutes later. No wonder Herb Kelleher used his connections to kill the Texas TGV.

This article just proves that a train could travel between Dallas and Houston in approx. 40 minutes. Does anyone care?? And, both cities would have to recruit big private money to make this work and would they even try?? Since this is actually possible, it is not just a pipe dream. Great things can happen if the will is there and a profit to be made is evident.

This article just proves that a train could travel between Dallas and Houston in approx. 40 minutes. Does anyone care?? And, both cities would have to recruit big private money to make this work and would they even try?? Since this is actually possible, it is not just a pipe dream. Great things can happen if the will is there and a profit to be made is evident.

Just a couple of problems: The train reached a high speed of 357.2 mph at a particular point on the test run. That is quite different than being able to make the entire run at that speed.

Bigger problem: "Great things can happen if the will is there and a profit to be made is evident." There is no evident profit to be made. This cannot be done without large government assistance of one kind or another.

large government investment? Like want the airlines get fromthe government? Government must invest in infrastructure, and then private companies can make money.

Perhaps so, and paid for through usage fees and ticket taxes, just like with the airlines... PERHAPS that could make it feasible.

The point is, it cannot be done by private investment alone.

• 2 months later...

It is amazing that people are seriously considering this high speed train in Texas. And, why not, the large texas cities can use this mode of transport as well as the northeast U.S. Isn't this just the greatest idea??

It is amazing that people are seriously considering this high speed train in Texas. And, why not, the large texas cities can use this mode of transport as well as the northeast U.S. Isn't this just the greatest idea??

It is. I fully agree. I want a Texan Shinkansen. These people seem to think it'd be a good idea, and they seem awful smart.

http://www.rpa.org/pdf/temp/America%202050...as_pp_21-36.pdf

Anyone who wants to whine about the cost should take a look at subsidies for airlines and freeways. Greater mobility options are the bottom line. Let's get with the program here, folks. This is a great idea in so many ways that if I try to think of them all my brain will explode.

Edit: After rereading the epic battle between Houston19514 and TheNiche, I will perhaps limit my statement to subsidies for freeways. I am sure (or I think I am sure) that the government still subsidizes freeways. Phew. Scary.

Some people question high speed rail in Texas based on the pitiful state of public transportation. They obviously haven't thought car rental companies would clamber to open branches at the rail terminals, just as they do at airports. Downtown-to-downtown, quiet, hassle-free, delay-free transportation that spares the environment, with car rentals at the destination? I'm in.

Some people question high speed rail in Texas based on the pitiful state of public transportation. They obviously haven't thought car rental companies would clamber to open branches at the rail terminals, just as they do at airports. Downtown-to-downtown, quiet, hassle-free, delay-free transportation that spares the environment, with car rentals at the destination? I'm in.

i second that! :)

Archived