The Center Serving Persons With Mental Retardation At 3550 West Dallas St.

heights_yankee

On Sunday, April 30th The Center will be holding their annual IceCream Sunday fundraiser. This is a great opportunity to have a lot of fun while helping a great cause in Houston!

If you're not farmiliar with The Center, The Center Serving Persons with Mental Retardation provides services for more than 600 children and adults with mental retardation and other developmental disabilities. The Center offers a wide array of programs including education, vocational training and job placement services, three different residential options representing both urban and rural living environments, special programs designed to meet the needs of older adults, and a variety of therapeutic support services.

You can read more at The Center

This fundraiser is a fun event, especially for families.The admission price for the event goes directly to The Center and includes:

Activities: Pony rides, Bungee Trampoline, Rockwall, Carosel, Velcro Wall, Petting Zoo, Karaoke, Moon Walk, Spin Art and several more...

Food: James Coney Island, plus popcorn, sno-cones, and (obviously) Sundaes!

$35/person OR $120 for a family of 4.

If you're interested in supporting this great cause, please PM me and I'll email you the ticket form! :D

• 11 months later...

It may be early to think about the buildings in question, but one of the buildings in question was designed by Howard Barnstone. There's no mention of the building in the article though, it's more about the "evil money-grubbing city" vs the non-profit orginization that is leasing the land very cheaply...

City officials seek to sell land occupied by mental facility

(4/02/07 - HOUSTON) - A nonprofit home for about 200 mentally retarded people built on prime real estate could lose its land to the city, which says the center's lease is invalid and wants the lucrative property developed to generate more revenue.

http://www.cri-usa.org/en/articles/articles_view.asp

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

City officials, who maintain that selling the property would benefit more people in the long run, say the bid process would take place in the next six to nine months.

Stan Creech, a Houston real estate broker who puts the land's worth at $26 million, thinks the tract is choice for high-rise condominiums largely because of the unobstructed view of downtown.

well, someone is going straight to hell...

edit - here's the chronicle article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4678194.html

Conceivably, the property tax revenue from million dollar high rise units could benefit more people in the long run, depending on what they chose to do with the tax dollars... But everyone knows it doesn't really work that way.

But I posted here for the architecture's sake. If anyone has pictures of the building, this would be a good place to put them.

Jason

City officials, who maintain that selling the property would benefit more people in the long run, say the bid process would take place in the next six to nine months.

Stan Creech, a Houston real estate broker who puts the land's worth at $26 million, thinks the tract is choice for high-rise condominiums largely because of the unobstructed view of downtown.

First off, the initial post should be edited.

I can understand that the legalities of what the former mayor may have done might be in question, but there is a form of morals and ethics that are involved.

I think a compromise should be done, I have had business with the people in that complex and I do believe it is highly necessary for them to have such a facility.

Perhaps if a piece of land can be centrally located and donated/leased to this agency then it would help out both sides. One would a more modern facility, and the other would get a write off.

Maybe the best option would be that the land would be sold to the highest bidder (or whatever they plan on doing) with a stipulation that portion of land be donated for this association with funds being raised/donated by the public and/or people that wish to use this plot of land.

If this is done, then it would be a SERIOUS PR coup:

They would have a major write off, people would see them as an advocate/philanthropist for the "little people".

The city would get a serious boost in tax income and not have to buy/donate a new piece of land for the current tenants.

And finally the possibility of a bigger and better facility that would meet their current needs.

Unbelievable. Situations like this make me embarrassed to admit to anyone that I'm a native Houstonian.

Does anyone think that the annoucement of the Regent Square project and that developer's bullishness on the area including and immediately surrounding Allen House might have anything to do with the City's timing? Looks to me like the City will probably get a very high price for the land, plenty enough to help the mental health center relocate to a less pricey area and still have some money left over in the general fund. By doing this, it also returns high-value property to the tax rolls and makes it very likely to be intensively developed in the near future.

The Barnstone is a sacrifice, but it is clearly to the benefit of the City and its constituents.

• 2 weeks later...
latest is Baker Botts is getting involved and offering their services for free to "The Center." I can't wait to hear the City's response.

For those of us who may not be familiar with "Baker Botts", could you provide more information regarding that and the history of that particular person/firm/Developer?

It would help if you offered a little context.

For those of us who may not be familiar with "Baker Botts", could you provide more information regarding that and the history of that particular person/firm/Developer?

It would help if you offered a little context.

baker botts is a world renown law firm that has been around for over 150 yrs. They have offices all over the world and have offered their services pro bono. If you read the initial post, i'm sure you can determine the context.

• 3 months later...

this came out a while back:

We are pleased to announce that we have reached a preliminary agreement with the City of Houston that will enable the Center to stay at our West Dallas Location for many years to come.

Under the agreement, the Foundation for the Retarded will purchase the land and leases from the City for a price of $6.0 million. The City will also help provide the financing for the purchase. The transaction will be structured to resolve any and all disputes between the Center and the City regarding the legal status of our leases, and will allow the Center to continue operating from this location indefinitely. The closing of the transaction is subject to approval by the City Council of Houston and the Boards of the Center and the Foundation, and is further subject to negotiating mutually agreeable definitive documentation.

http://www.savethecenter.org/en/art/?34

and this was from today...

A center dedicated to helping the mentally handicapped is one step closer to securing its future.

The Center Serving Persons with Mental Retardation sits on 6.7 acre tract of land near downtown Houston.

The city voted to sell the property to the center itself for about $6 million.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...r.142e0b35.html

• The title was changed to The Center Serving Persons With Mental Retardation At 3550 West Dallas St.

Archived