Be careful getting on the Bus

Man fatally shot aboard Metro bus in west Houston

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4668543.html

I guess everyone will be walking gently when they board the bus now.

Careful, you can have an accident in a car as well. I hear they're dangerous.

You can also slip and fall on a bar of soap at home. So just use liquid soap. No...wait, that's even worse!

Puh-leeze. Get over it.

The subject of the discussion is the crime committed so there is no need to be redundant. Besides, I included "etc" to imply there are more factors than what I listed.

No, Red was trying to politely let you know that none of those factors actually matter. Was it a capital crime or not? It was not. Non-Capital Murder = Class 1 Felony = 5 to life.

Red, how about parole? How is that determined?

Ps. How are you going to argue with [Redscare], the un-official HAIF attorney?

Edited by Jeebus

Ralo, I didn't notice that you just signed up a month ago. Sorry, if my penchant for sarcasm blind-sided you.

Jeebus is right. This is "only" a 1st degree felony, since it does not fit the definition of a capital murder. Cap Murder requires a murder during the commission of another felony, such as rape, robbery or burglary. Straight up murder gets you 5 to 99. Depending on his record, he might even be eligible for probation, though I doubt anyone will think a virtually unprovoked killing deserves probation.

Parole eligibility will not occur until half of the prison term is served. Very few are paroled on their first try.

Ralo, I didn't notice that you just signed up a month ago. Sorry, if my penchant for sarcasm blind-sided you.

Jeebus is right. This is "only" a 1st degree felony, since it does not fit the definition of a capital murder. Cap Murder requires a murder during the commission of another felony, such as rape, robbery or burglary. Straight up murder gets you 5 to 99. Depending on his record, he might even be eligible for probation, though I doubt anyone will think a virtually unprovoked killing deserves probation.

Parole eligibility will not occur until half of the prison term is served. Very few are paroled on their first try.

Man.. ain't life peaches and cream?

The most important thing about this crime is the cultural implications. If the two people involved were morally conscious, law-abiding, civil behaving Houstonians, instead of murdering the person, they would have simply said "excuse me, I'm sorry". For whatever reason, this city is becoming populated with increasingly more residents who are fearful of their surroundings and of other people around them, where everything and everyone is a potential threat. This fear is loaded into their general attitude and everyday mindset. Maybe they are criminals by nature, maybe not. Maybe they just belong to the new cultural phenomenon of carrying a gun with you everyone you go. The problem with this is that even non-criminals with the fear mindset, lack of proper moral upbringing and lack awareness of how to be a civilized human being, will pull the trigger on someone if they feel threatened enough and are also emotionally and physically distressed or distraught, making them a "ticking time bomb". I have an idea of what has contributed to the rise of this cultural shift in Houston, and it's not only the flood of illegal immigration which brings Third World cultural and social mentalities to the city, although this is certainly helping to speed up the cultural shift. Basically, for many youth living in Houston, the idea of settling a dispute through verbal communication or by diffusing a potential conflict by simply ignoring it (in the case of bumping into someone while getting on a bus) does not even register into their thinking.

This is one murder. You cannot make a trend out of a singualr event. It is physically impossible. You cannot make implications out of a singular event. The only thing you can make out of a singular event is to say that it happened. That's it.

One idiot out of a population of 2 million does not a cultural phenomenon make.

Then how do you explain online news reports that show a disturbing trend among young Americans to "reach for the gun" at the first sign of a conflict? I don't have a link, but I do remember reading several articles online and in hard print that mention or discuss this. Given that the murderer and the victim on the bus were both young Americans, I'd say that it is possible that this incident reflects the disturbing reality discussed in the reports.

Edited by PureAuteur

Then how do you explain online news reports that show a disturbing trend among young Americans to "reach for the gun" at the first sign of a conflict. I don't have a link, but I do remember reading several articles online and in hard print that mention or discuss this. Given that the murderer and the victim on the bus were both young Americans, I'd say that it is possible that this incident reflects the disturbing reality discussed in the reports.

How can I respond to something that you have not shown me?

The most important thing about this crime is the cultural implications. If the two people involved were morally conscious, law-abiding, civil behaving Houstonians, instead of murdering the person, they would have simply said "excuse me, I'm sorry". For whatever reason, this city is becoming populated with increasingly more residents who are fearful of their surroundings and of other people around them, where everything and everyone is a potential threat. This fear is loaded into their general attitude and everyday mindset. Maybe they are criminals by nature, maybe not. Maybe they just belong to the new cultural phenomenon of carrying a gun with you everyone you go. The problem with this is that even non-criminals with the fear mindset, lack of proper moral upbringing and lack awareness of how to be a civilized human being, will pull the trigger on someone if they feel threatened enough and are also emotionally and physically distressed or distraught, making them a "ticking time bomb". I have an idea of what has contributed to the rise of this cultural shift in Houston, and it's not only the flood of illegal immigration which brings Third World cultural and social mentalities to the city, although this is certainly helping to speed up the cultural shift. Basically, for many youth living in Houston, the idea of settling a dispute through verbal communication or by diffusing a potential conflict by simply ignoring it (in the case of bumping into someone while getting on a bus) does not even register into their thinking.

Topics like this are generally started with the intention to "incite to excite." There is no "cultural phenomenon" regarding concealed handguns. Most people don't carry concealed hanguns. Sensational? Yes? Phenomenon? No. Another example is talk radio which is famous for inciting to excite. Conservatives get all puffed up and brag that MORE people listen to Limbaugh than Air America. No one disputes that. But no one ever mentions that MOST people listen to either. And that is the crux of the problem with threads like this. MOST bus trips don't envolve gun slinging. MOST bus rides are safe. Now if someone wants to start a thread about the most accidents involving Red Line trains striking vehicles I would welcome that. Then we could discuss the fact the trains would have never struck the vehicles if the vehicle drivers had obeyed traffic signs and warnings. Now THAT would be a legitimate discussion. One shooting on a bus is not a cultural phenomenon but I would say private vehicle operators setting themselves up to be hit by trains on a fixed guideway is definatly a topic worth delving into.

Edit: Well that's what I get for sending a reply on my screen created earlier before reading additional postings. So even though Red was more economic with his replys, I've finally gotten something off my chest when it comes to topics created to incite. And I am as guilty as the next in buying in. I will endevour to do better in the future.

B)

Edited by nmainguy