Vicinity Where Texas Southern University Now Stands

Does anyone know they ripped up the railroad tracks (HBT) that used to split TSU? I know they just demolished the remnants of the bridge that crossed Brays Bayou, butt when did the tracks go? They still have RR crossing markings on the pavement ob Cleburne St.

I think JLWM might know. I know if you drive along Wheeler and cross over to Dowling, you can still see where the tracks used to go too. Not sure when (year) they stopped the train from passing through.

There were many bungalow houses for sale over by the edge of the frwy (45) and had some moving company sign on them. I wanted to buy one and move to my property before they demolished them but they are all gone now? No one ever would answer the phone when I called. What a shame those were still in good shape (at least on the outside). All were identical with a nice little porch. I wanted to raise the house and lay on pilings like the ones in Galveston and add a winding staircase. It would have been soooo cool! Its a shame. Seems like every other day something else (historical in this area) is coming down.

Does anyone know they ripped up the railroad tracks (HBT) that used to split TSU? I know they just demolished the remnants of the bridge that crossed Brays Bayou, butt when did the tracks go? They still have RR crossing markings on the pavement ob Cleburne St.
I think JLWM might know. I know if you drive along Wheeler and cross over to Dowling, you can still see where the tracks used to go too. Not sure when (year) they stopped the train from passing through.

The tracks were ripped up on the stretch from the Gulf Fwy to Shenandoah St. in 1985 (shows how long it's been since Cleburne has been repaved :blink: ). Sections of track north of the Gulf Fwy and between Shenandoah and Dixie Dr. were ripped up in the mid 90's. So now, the track now stops just short of Dixie Dr. at the Grocers Supply facility. My family tells me the train used to come around 4AM, and the house would shake. If you were on the phone you'd have to say "hold on" because the engine noise and vibration would drown the call. I was born in 1986, so I wasn't "fortunate" enough to experience those locomotive wonders. The bridge over Brays Bayou was finally demolished in June of this year. TxDOT is going to put the new Hike and Bike trail bridge there later this year.

The city of Houston is putting in a concrete bike way, which will travel from near N Macgregor Way and through 3rd Ward to Buffalo Bayou. The Bike way will be landscaped and will have barriers along it's route to prevent automobiles from entering

Wow! They had that track on Houston maps until the late 1990s. I wonder how TSU students felt to have a train splitting their campus back in those times.

I don't think too many trains ran through during the day. Though in "Brewster McCloud", a train is shown going down those tracks in the daytime. Keep in mind though, these trains weren't long trains like you see going through West U, these trains were pretty short, and slow. I wouldn't have wanted to be late for class and a train shows up in my path though, no matter how short!

Wow! They had that track on Houston maps until the late 1990s. I wonder how TSU students felt to have a train splitting their campus back in those times.

Where I went to college in Pennsylvania we had a freight line that ran through the middle of campus. It wasn't unusual to be late for class because a train got stuck. A lot of students would crawl under the stopped ones. For as drunk as they were, remarkably no one died in the two years I was there.

Where I went to college in Pennsylvania we had a freight line that ran through the middle of campus. It wasn't unusual to be late for class because a train got stuck. A lot of students would crawl under the stopped ones. For as drunk as they were, remarkably no one died in the two years I was there.

Why didn't the university build a bridge? HISD's R. P. Harris Elementary has a bridge stretching across Interstate 10 from the Fiesta to the school.

• 2 months later...

It's a shame things like this happen just when the area starting to show promise. Riverside Park is of several nicely/planned/made parks in that area. Drive around one day and see how unusual this spot is.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/14605939/detail.html

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...;geodiff=1#east

They're putting a rails-to-trails trail through Riverside Terrace. Should be great.

• The title was changed to Vicinity Where Texas Southern University Now Stands

Archived