New Mod Listing

flipper

Actually, I'm glad you let me know that this is zoned to Westbury. I am surprised that the price is that high if it's zoned to Westbury. Willow Meadows of course is more expensive than Willowbend, but I think they may be asking a little high unless the place has been totally restored.

This house is a William Jenkins design. The carport is not original, but most of the house was pretty original last time I was in it. I don't know what they might have done to it in the past year. The landscaping in the front is beautiful. and I love the front room which is all glass, but private due to the carport wall. I also believe there was a covered patio in the back that was taken out. There's a pool too. It's a quiet area, though that's the street I usually use to get through the neighborhood to get to Randall's.

I remember some friends telling me they looked at it last time it was on the market and they said they passed on it because it had roof troubles. It would be good to know if that was fixed well or just patched up.

I have a xerox copy of Jenkins' drawing of the front of the house that I should scan in...

I hope it goes to good owners.

Jason

UNGH. Is THAT what you wanted the address for?

I have word that the roof has been well repaired, but it might be something to check out. My neighbors told me that street is the "hot street" in the neighborhood and that prices have always been higher on Willowgrove, so maybe $400K is not too far off base, despite Westbury High.

Jason

I have word that the roof has been well repaired, but it might be something to check out. My neighbors told me that street is the "hot street" in the neighborhood and that prices have always been higher on Willowgrove, so maybe $400K is not too far off base, despite Westbury High.

Jason

Surprisingly, by looking at the comps, people are not taking a discount to be in the non-bellaire high section of Willow Meadows. Some of the highest sales have been south of bellfort. Although, I doubt there is a high percentage of people in the area buying 400k houses sending their kids to HISD schools.

I too use willowgrove as a cut-through to Randalls and Sherwin Williams. I don't think I'd want to live on that street personally.

flipper

It appears from the outside that they have accomplished a lot of remodeling with this house in the last year.

It must have been a real showplace when first built. Good overall lines and lots of windows in the main living areas. Plentiful skylights. Terrazzo.

The floor plan is unique with the master suite on one side and the other bedrooms on the opposite.

In the last year, looks like they added some new cabinet fronts and knobs in the kitchen and on other built-ins, replaced all of the light fixtures with rifts on 1990s modern or "mission style" and then dipped the entire house into a large bucket of beige paint.

The new look is neither Jenkins nor Meier . Perhaps the goal was to make it less mid-century (1956) and more just 90's / 2000's modern. I guess that will increase its appeal?

I've liked this house for a while. It's good to see that the car on the trailer is no longer under the carport. That was weird.

Yeah, I noticed that around the same time they were packing up. I also seem to remember a painting crew in there once they moved out also. I need to get over and look at the house.

I can't believe the house originally looked like those pictures Jason put up. Amazing!

flipper

I personally think the gate up there really detracts from the otherwise inviting nature of the house, but this is 2007, not 1957, so I guess there's no getting around it.

I would guess the original arches were in bad shape, but too bad they didn't go back with the same look. The new look is not terrible though. The house has a lot of potential, and we'd be on it in a minute if I wasn't knee deep into the house we have and love. I don't think it's really too expensive, at least from talking to my neighbors who have friends over there and say they could get $350K for several years now, but at the same time, I couldn't afford it at $400K. Amazing price, considering the hcad appraisal is $210K. Not anymore after it sells, I guess.

As I said before, I have high hopes that some good owners move in and along with the other Jenkins' house owners we can have some kind of fellowship.

Jason

Yeah, I noticed that around the same time they were packing up. I also seem to remember a painting crew in there once they moved out also. I need to get over and look at the house.

I can't believe the house originally looked like those pictures Jason put up. Amazing!

flipper

I recall looking at it back in late 2000 when it was for sale in the low 300's. I ended up with a house around the corner because, as much as I loved this one, couldn't justify the extra expense (it still needed a lot of updates and that flat roof was/is scary). I think it is the most intriguing house on the street.

Was the new carport up at that time? Just trying to figure out the timeline...

I know the old carport was still there for the Houston Architectural Guide Picture, which was published in '99.

Jason

I recall looking at it back in late 2000 when it was for sale in the low 300's. I ended up with a house around the corner because, as much as I loved this one, couldn't justify the extra expense (it still needed a lot of updates and that flat roof was/is scary). I think it is the most intriguing house on the street.

Was the new carport up at that time? Just trying to figure out the timeline...

I know the old carport was still there for the Houston Architectural Guide Picture, which was published in '99.

Jason

I started visiting Willow Meadows in the late 90's when I first moved to Houston. By then, it already looked as you see it today.

My understanding of the history is that it is one of a number of homes on Willowgrove that were remodeled in the 90's. There was a gentlemen who live(d) in the neighborhood who did a bunch of them on that street in order to show the rest of the neighborhood what could be done with old ranchers and mods--it became the premiere street in the neighborhood commanding the highest prices. About the same time, people were rediscovering the Meyerland area and prices started to rise, spurring a lot of remodeling in the area in the same theme as Willowgrove. If you drive around Willow Meadows, you will see a lot of ranchers with front-facing french doors, elaborate (but similar) tropical landscaping, painted brick, etc. I recall that many of these were done by the same guy (I want to say he is a past president of the HOA, but that might not be true).

Thanks a lot. I had heard some of that, but you filled in a lot more of the story.

I guess the pic in the guide is older. At some point I will need to contact Gerald Moorhead and purchase prints of all the Jenkins' designed homes from him.

When my friends saw the house it was only $130K. That's when "the guy" bought it. Well, I really think it's a great house.

Feel free to drop by Willowisp and say hi.

Jason

I started visiting Willow Meadows in the late 90's when I first moved to Houston. By then, it already looked as you see it today.

My understanding of the history is that it is one of a number of homes on Willowgrove that were remodeled in the 90's. There was a gentlemen who live(d) in the neighborhood who did a bunch of them on that street in order to show the rest of the neighborhood what could be done with old ranchers and mods--it became the premiere street in the neighborhood commanding the highest prices. About the same time, people were rediscovering the Meyerland area and prices started to rise, spurring a lot of remodeling in the area in the same theme as Willowgrove. If you drive around Willow Meadows, you will see a lot of ranchers with front-facing french doors, elaborate (but similar) tropical landscaping, painted brick, etc. I recall that many of these were done by the same guy (I want to say he is a past president of the HOA, but that might not be true).

What a mixed blessing. On one hand he increased values and gave people reason to maintain their homes. On the other, some significant MCMs have been bastardized beyond recognition.

If anyone cares to gaze into his crystal ball, what are the chances that these 'improvements' might someday be undone on a large scale? I'm hoping that MCMs will someday be more widely appreciated. A trend I've noticed lately is that many advertisers are using MCMs on TV ads, which is encouraging.

Once you go one way with a house it is really hard to go back, at least without a lot of money.

That carport, for example, is completely functional. It's not original, but what kind of special person is going to rip that out and put an original carport back in just for the look? Only a very passionate person with some extra money on their hands.

For me, it's the kitchen. I don't have my original kitchen. Most of the work I did on the house was necessary, structural, painting, new flooring where the flooring was wiped out old, furniture. When it got down to having some functional things like the kitchen I was grateful to not have to spend more money, though still not completely satisfied with the look of it. Maybe someday, I keep telling myself. But now whenever small expenses come up, they hurt a lot more than that one big one 2 years ago.

Jason

What a mixed blessing. On one hand he increased values and gave people reason to maintain their homes. On the other, some significant MCMs have been bastardized beyond recognition.

If anyone cares to gaze into his crystal ball, what are the chances that these 'improvements' might someday be undone on a large scale? I'm hoping that MCMs will someday be more widely appreciated. A trend I've noticed lately is that many advertisers are using MCMs on TV ads, which is encouraging.

Archived