From The Woodlands To Katy

NativeTexan

Here in The Woodlands people can tend to have a bit of an "oh my gosh" attitude if you don't live in The Woodlands but maybe outside the area. Any attitudes like that with the Katy area.....is Cinco Ranch reign supreme or anything like that or is it more like oh we live here and we live here so be it. Just curious....

If you had to choose where would you choose and why?

7 Meadows

Cinco Ranch West

Westheimer Lakes

Grand Lakes

I think I would narrow it down to 7 Meadows or Grand Lakes maybe cinco ranch west.

It is hard to quantify but I would choose either based on...

1. proximity to the grand parkway.

this sounds odd but this is a very nicely designed stretch of road between 1093 and i-10 with no feeders and nice landscape berms shielding housing and development.

2. related to the above, location. both neighborhoods are centrally located in the "south katy area" far enough away from the ugly strip centers closer to I-10 and just far enough away from 1093 westpark tollway. (which may prove to be an economic dividing line. but certainly is the boundary between KISD and Lamar Consolidated ISD.

3. To exclude westheimer lakes I would say that it is just outside the location circle I would prefer, a little to west and a little to close to 1093. possible future traffic problems could arise with out multiple arteries out of the development.

4. to exclude cinco ranch west is harder. I like this one too. association fees may be higher? I live in cinco ranch i think they are about 800 a year, but lots of ammenities to use.

5. grand lakes is nice. nice pocket parks and street layouts condusive to neighborhood interaction. nicely landscaaped nice choice of good homebuilders and good schools.

6. seven meadows is very nice too. I think this would be my number 1 choice for new construction here. nice development. new schools, nice landscape, hardscape. quality home builders.

this is all just my opinion living in the area for the last 3 years. i think i would rank them 1. seven meadows 2. cinco ranch west. 3. grand lakes. 4. westheimer lakes north. you will enjoy the communitty likely in any of these developments just pick a home you can live with and love for a while. homes are not short term investments in this area. obviously not new construction. good luck

Wonderful Information!!! Thank you!!

I think we are looking mainly at 7 Meadows but also in Cinco West too. I'll have to look into Grand Lakes a little more.

Can you explain the divisions to me in Cinco.....I just came to realize that there is Cinco West but now a Cinco Southwest is coming in or is newly in?? I guess these are general areas and then on the website it breaks it down into subdivisions I'm guessing?? like Wren's Creek, Logan Hollow, Somer Glen....

Are the pools crowded in the summer? Is there a total of three?

Thank you so much for your great information as we make this huge decision!!!!

I understand the culture you are referencing....I grew up in Kingwood and the attitude was definetly opposed to anyone not living in "Kingwood" THE neighborhood. Surrounding neighborhoods were frowned upon.

I expected to experience that in Katy, that is why I chose to live in Cinco Ranch. Surprisingly now that I have been out here for a couple years, I've noticed that is not the attitude at all. I suppose because all neighborhoods mentioned above have really nice homes and amenities, it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

I think (I don't actually live there) that Cinco Ranch is like The Woodlands - if you live there you get access to all the different pools, amenities etc (they also have a waterpark and beach club), not just the one for that neighborhood like elsewhere. I am pretty sure you would have access to more than 3 pools.

I don't think it's so much whether or not you specifically live in Cinco Ranch, but whether you live in a certain area in a master-planned community. The area I'm referring to is South Katy generally from Falcon Point Estates east down Bayhill Dr./Highland Knolls thru Cinco Ranch (but not past Mason Rd.), then south to 1093/Westpark Tollway including neighborhoods of Cinco Ranch, Grand Lakes, and Seven Meadows, and the areas far west including Firethorne and Grayson Lakes. There are so many nice areas out here, that mentality cannot prevail. Although, there is a distinct difference in perception between North of I-10 neighborhoods and South of I-10 generally speaking.

I understand the culture you are referencing....I grew up in Kingwood and the attitude was definetly opposed to anyone not living in "Kingwood" THE neighborhood. Surrounding neighborhoods were frowned upon.

I expected to experience that in Katy, that is why I chose to live in Cinco Ranch. Surprisingly now that I have been out here for a couple years, I've noticed that is not the attitude at all. I suppose because all neighborhoods mentioned above have really nice homes and amenities, it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hey MortgagePIG (lol @ name :lol: ) I grew up in KW too! What year did you graduate? I was '89.

I don't think it's so much whether or not you specifically live in Cinco Ranch, but whether you live in a certain area in a master-planned community. The area I'm referring to is South Katy generally from Falcon Point Estates east down Bayhill Dr./Highland Knolls thru Cinco Ranch (but not past Mason Rd.), then south to 1093/Westpark Tollway including neighborhoods of Cinco Ranch, Grand Lakes, and Seven Meadows, and the areas far west including Firethorne and Grayson Lakes. There are so many nice areas out here, that mentality cannot prevail. Although, there is a distinct difference in perception between North of I-10 neighborhoods and South of I-10 generally speaking.

I would say anything south of Highland Knolls would be good, except for Fry Road. The good communites there start just after the hospital.

Then there are those of us who actually live in Katy (Katy Proper) that despise every master-planned community out here whichever side of the freeway it's on. :)

Then there are those of us who actually live in Katy (Katy Proper) that despise every master-planned community out here whichever side of the freeway it's on. :)

[/quote

To be true, I think cinco ranch is the only "master planned community" in the area. Your point is made, but to each his own. Thats one of the things about this country a man or woman is free to choose what is best for him and his family as far as housing and many other things.

I think the point of this post was just to compare these neighborhoods/area to the woodlands and give some insight to someone who wanted to know the advantages to one over the other.

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but...

I have a question for relocation, maybe you guys can help.I am looking to relocate to houston-sugarland metro, manly because there is big business and water(raised on the beach), and the neighborhoods/towns seem decent and normal fit demographically to where I am from. Do you have any suggestions that fits atleast 2 of the 3 criteria for a good area for jobs, demographics, or water? Also, what is my best bet for jobs for new grads? I have a service at school, but I am not sure the connections are best, and I have read a lot of bad or not so good things about online agencies. Thanks.

I have been in Katy for a year and a half now, and I am surprised at how down to earth everyone seems to be even though this area (South Katy) is an affluent community. I waited for a while to buy a home, because I wanted to make sure I selected the right neighborhood for me. For the most part, it is hard to go wrong in South Katy, but as I have gotten to know the area, I decided to narrow my selection to either Seven Meadows or Cinco Ranch. My daughter is entering high school next year, and all of her friends are going to Seven Lakes, that did limit my choices, but happily, all of Seven Meadows, Cinco SW and Cinco West below Buffalo Bayou fall in the SL district.

For me, it was a matter of floorplan. My daughter and I both fell in love with a home in Cinco West.

I did look at Westheimer Lakes North. My concerns there are that 1) it is a new community without a history of home value, community, etc. 2) DR Horton is selling homes from the $120's in WLN. That concerns me because I would be worried that investors might buy those up for rental properties - I'm not paying $100+/sq ft to only have my home devalued later. I have the same concerns about another new community - Pine Mills Ranch.

Having a teenage daughter, all of the amenities offered by Cinco are a plus. With 7 pools (including waterpark and beach), parks, etc. I know there will plenty for her to do within this community.

For me I'd rank Seven Meadows and Cinco tops. Grand Lakes and Grayson Lakes next. I am not familiar with some of the other communities, like Firethorne, b/c for the last year I have been looking at homes within the Cinco Ranch HS and Seven Lakes HS districts.

• The title was changed to From The Woodlands To Katy

Archived