The Wash Allen Show

JLWM8609

I couldn't sleep last night, so I watched some TV. At about 2AM on certain weeknights on KTRK, 'The Wash Allen Show" comes on. For those of you who aren't familiar with Mr. Allen, he's a radio/TV personality with a radio show on KCOH-AM 1430 called "Secrets" or "Confessions". I've never met the man, but I have seen him in person once walking to his car when I was at the Pilgrim Cleaners across the street from the station, and I hope I never get "accosted" for an interview by him. This is his manner. You're at some function, usually a black tie "gala" or something, and he approaches you with his mike and camera. "Hello......... I'm Wash Allen! And we're here at the Jack and Jackal Beautillion, and I am talking with (proceeds to stick mike almost in your mouth). After you give your name, he assaults with more questions like "And what do you do?" "Are you having a good time?" "What do you think of this organization?"

Professional interviewers usually know who the person is before they start asking them questions. And he does all of this while some cheesy old music plays in the background. He does the same "and who are you?" thing with everyone, even with folks he already knows personally, he even did the same thing to Lee Brown. There are also some commercials for his "Wash Allen's Pecan Pralines" in every show, I've seen them at the Kroger on OST, but that's the ONLY place I've seen them. I guess that's why his show comes on at 2AM, cheap airtime. :rolleyes:

I couldn't sleep last night, so I watched some TV. At about 2AM on certain weeknights on KTRK, 'The Wash Allen Show" comes on. For those of you who aren't familiar with Mr. Allen, he's a radio/TV personality with a radio show on KCOH-AM 1430 called "Secrets" or "Confessions". I've never met the man, but I have seen him in person once walking to his car when I was at the Pilgrim Cleaners across the street from the station, and I hope I never get "accosted" for an interview by him. This is his manner. You're at some function, usually a black tie "gala" or something, and he approaches you with his mike and camera. "Hello......... I'm Wash Allen! And we're here at the Jack and Jackal Beautillion, and I am talking with (proceeds to stick mike almost in your mouth). After you give your name, he assaults with more questions like "And what do you do?" "Are you having a good time?" "What do you think of this organization?"

Professional interviewers usually know who the person is before they start asking them questions. And he does all of this while some cheesy old music plays in the background. He does the same "and who are you?" thing with everyone, even with folks he already knows personally, he even did the same thing to Lee Brown. There are also some commercials for his "Wash Allen's Pecan Pralines" in every show, I've seen them at the Kroger on OST, but that's the ONLY place I've seen them. I guess that's why his show comes on at 2AM, cheap airtime. :rolleyes:

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing his buffoonery in person, but as an infrequent listener to his show, it is apparent that he raises topics (much like Rush, and others) to illicit a response.

As I have done with so many others ... I just turn them off.

I thought they killed that a few years back! haha... Every Friday morning after the 10PM rebroadcast, I think.

What's sad (oh where to start on this...) is that the "Confessions" TV show they've interspersed with his mingling/Happy Feet Dance/Variety Club festivities is from at least 15 years ago. KHTV produced it at one point it seems since during the first airings they left the station logo from that era on the "Write To Wash" info. I saw that they cut much of that out in favor of Wash doing a poor Alvin Van Black impression as he "meets" the people at the festivities.

I just want some of that Frenchy's Chicken now, just for the "Seasonized" flavor the owner goes on about. They've actually added a few locations since that commercial was made a few years back. moo.

Getting off topic (I can do this since I started this thread :D ) the new locations they've added for Frenchy's Chicken that I know of happen to be on the north side on I-45 and Tidwell, and Little York just west of N. Shepherd. I expect there to be a rise in diabetes, obesity, heart disease and cholesterol rates on the north side. Thanks Percy Cruzeot! j/k

I love Frenchy's, I don't eat it often though. I happen to attend Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church which is right behind Frenchy's. It's a wonder how I resist going into that eatery every sunday with that smell lingering!

Be prepared to wait in line until Jesus comes! That place is always crowded :lol::lol:

I also remember seeing one down around 59 and either W. Airport Blvd or Willcrest on my last trip... so they really are getting out there. The only reason I didn't stop was because I was in a hurry on each pass! Damn. Kinda regret it now.

Hey, my only remotely close connection to such chicken here is a Popeye's in the Maine Turnpike Service area in Kennebunk. I'm deprived at the moment.

Anyway, we'll get back OT eventually.

Those Frenchy's aren't Percy's (who's cheap by the way)....Aaron Glenn owns them after being led blindly into purchasing those nasty Williams Chicken Franchises from Dallas...Williams barely lasted in Houston before they went under and Glenn approached Frenchy's about converting them

When Frenchy's did expand in the 80s...those were Percy's

All the money Percy had made off of Scott he has refused to put money back into the restaurant for things to make it run smoothly...I mean..a damn computer for employees to look at instead of writing down on a bag would be nice...and in typical fashion, they are cutting their desserts smaller...

as for Wash...TV isn't made for him....stick to AM and the Happy Feet Dances

Those Frenchy's aren't Percy's (who's cheap by the way)....Aaron Glenn owns them after being led blindly into purchasing those nasty Williams Chicken Franchises from Dallas...Williams barely lasted in Houston before they went under and Glenn approached Frenchy's about converting them

When Frenchy's did expand in the 80s...those were Percy's

All the money Percy had made off of Scott he has refused to put money back into the restaurant for things to make it run smoothly...I mean..a damn computer for employees to look at instead of writing down on a bag would be nice...and in typical fashion, they are cutting their desserts smaller...

as for Wash...TV isn't made for him....stick to AM and the Happy Feet Dances

And what's up with the spelling. I thought it was Frenchey's (with an E)?

I also remember seeing one down around 59 and either W. Airport Blvd or Willcrest on my last trip... so they really are getting out there. The only reason I didn't stop was because I was in a hurry on each pass! Damn. Kinda regret it now.

Hey, my only remotely close connection to such chicken here is a Popeye's in the Maine Turnpike Service area in Kennebunk. I'm deprived at the moment.

Anyway, we'll get back OT eventually.

Yeah, I think --if memory serves me correctly-- it is right around 59 and BW8, either right past (or right before) Frye's...?

Yeah, it seems there were two branches (one a knock-off?) with one spelled Frenchy's and the others spelled Frenchey's. But they all used the same logo and style of lettering so I was unsure if it was like a bad divorce or upset kids that inherited the name and wanted to break away...?

I've never met the man, but I have seen him in person once walking to his car when I was at the Pilgrim Cleaners across the street from the station, and I hope I never get "accosted" for an interview by him. This is his manner. You're at some function, usually a black tie "gala" or something, and he approaches you with his mike and camera. "Hello......... I'm Wash Allen! And we're here at the Jack and Jackal Beautillion, and I am talking with (proceeds to stick mike almost in your mouth). After you give your name, he assaults with more questions like "And what do you do?" "Are you having a good time?" "What do you think of this organization?"

I was at a black tie event last year sitting eating when we popped out! No one was expecting him since we were all eating and chatting. He was asking us questions even though we still had food in our mouths. Caught me off guard big time. It's his style I guess. The thing I do like is he retains the old style of TV personality you just dont see anymore.

Hopefully next time I meet him I wont be stuffing my face but he is know for "popping out" like a jack-in-the-box! :P