The Untapped Potential Of Idylwood

Do a mapquest search for 1508 N MacGregor Way...it actually is in Idylwood, right across the bayou from Forest Park Cemetary. (I always thought this one little "bastard" stretch of N MacGregor was a bit goofy, but it's there)

I think that's one of the most beautiful spots in the whole city.

huh, thanks.

don't worry roberto, I'm not REALLY stalking you...I tried looking for your home on HAR is all.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
huh, thanks.

don't worry roberto, I'm not REALLY stalking you...I tried looking for your home on HAR is all.

The house is in Idylwood ... I wouldn't be able to afford a house like this in the Medical Center!!! LOL Home prices are way too expensive there! Arent' they? We actually looked at one on Palm Street (close to Almeda, it's sold already) but it needed so much work.

The house is right in front of the bayou, no obstructed view, beautiful setting, the park is only

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks!

This is actually the first time I'm going to live inside the loop, I've been in Alief all this time ...

i think you should enjoy idylwood. i've lived in alief my whole life, but have family and friends over in that area - we've been looking at homes in country club place nearby.

i think you should enjoy idylwood. i've lived in alief my whole life, but have family and friends over in that area - we've been looking at homes in country club place nearby.

BTW - does anyone know how i can find out who built the homes in that area? my grandmothers' home is near the convent on Lawndale, and was built in 1940 and i'd like to know more about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the East End. I drove through N Wayside from i-45 to i-10 and i must say i am impressed. The houses have a very distinct flavour. The whole area is so charmful. :sigh:

Compared to the Suburban development, i feel East Houston has alot more to offer. The houses we checked out in the Suburbs dont have as much of an attraction as the houses off I-45 East. Suburban houses look like they were built for the sake of profit. :( On the other hand, you find culture, history and some kind of attraction i cant describe, in the East. The atmosphere and mood of the area is so great!

I especially like the plethora of trees all around the subdivisions.

The only thing i dislike are the feeder roads of I-45. Used Car Shops, abandoned motels, etc - it just looks yucky. But you have to drive past all that and drive into the core of the East.

Eastwood, Idylwood, and Lawndale. My favs.

The streets named after the alphabets (ave A, Ave B. . . etc) remind me of Newark. :)

The only thing i dislike are the feeder roads of I-45. Used Car Shops, abandoned motels, etc - it just looks yucky. But you have to drive past all that and drive into the core of the East.

No doubt! The civic associations and superneighborhood group worked hard to get the motel at the corner of Wayside and 45 torn down. It finally happened in late 2004. Idylwood residents got very excited, as the corner seemed to be a natural for a decent-sized shopping center. Unfortunately, nothing has been developed and the clinic next door closed and turned into something else. No progress at all! The bright side is that the Champion used car lot and Stelaris ballroom properties were sold to a single developer a couple of years ago. I believe the plan is for a shopping center, and that they are just waiting on the lease to expire. At least that is the word on the street. :)

Guest danax
No doubt! The civic associations and superneighborhood group worked hard to get the motel at the corner of Wayside and 45 torn down. It finally happened in late 2004. Idylwood residents got very excited, as the corner seemed to be a natural for a decent-sized shopping center. Unfortunately, nothing has been developed and the clinic next door closed and turned into something else. No progress at all! The bright side is that the Champion used car lot and Stelaris ballroom properties were sold to a single developer a couple of years ago. I believe the plan is for a shopping center, and that they are just waiting on the lease to expire. At least that is the word on the street. :)

An HPD officer told us that that motel was torn down because it had become a drug dealing den. It is potentially a good corner but the transition in the area is still early to expect anything great retail-wise around there.

It does look like something is about to open in the new stripcenter at Lawndale + Wayside though. Small cafe tables and a serving window so it's got to be food or beverages. Someone mentioned a coffee shop earlier in this thread. A taqueria would be more likely because behind the counter is closed for the most part, but we will see.

Good news about the car lot and Stelaris. And, Wulfe has the Oshmans for sale so in a few years we could see a the beginnings of retail rebirth. Stelaris Ballroom is a decent piece of 40s architecture. Perhaps it can be reused.

Danax,

Passing by the end unit looks like it is going to be a Farmers Insurance Agency. They were working on the south side of the building earlier but I can't tell what it will be yet. Nice little center though but tight on parking.

Scharpe St Guy

An HPD officer told us that that motel was torn down because it had become a drug dealing den. It is potentially a good corner but the transition in the area is still early to expect anything great retail-wise around there.

It does look like something is about to open in the new stripcenter at Lawndale + Wayside though. Small cafe tables and a serving window so it's got to be food or beverages. Someone mentioned a coffee shop earlier in this thread. A taqueria would be more likely because behind the counter is closed for the most part, but we will see.

Good news about the car lot and Stelaris. And, Wulfe has the Oshmans for sale so in a few years we could see a the beginnings of retail rebirth. Stelaris Ballroom is a decent piece of 40s architecture. Perhaps it can be reused.

• 5 weeks later...

[As a property owner in East End for many years & hubby ol' home place was Eastwood, we're happy to see the new development. How could an area with such a rich history have been unknown for so long?

Reading messages, there is mention of "unknown/untapped potential" areas around Country Club Estates & Idlywood. There are great buys in these areas. I've owned a house in the Sunnylan subdivision area for years & the area just seems to be unknown. There are numerous "unknown/under appreciated" small subdivisions along Lawndale from Telephone to Wayside. They border the Gulf Fwy on the South. Also just across the freeway @ Telephone is more "untapped potential". Being a pioneer is not easy nor is it always profitable unless one is in it for the "long run". I have a house in that area I'm wanting to sell in the near future & hope I can find a buyer who can "appreciate an underdeveloped jewel in the rough" enough to pay me a decent price.

[As a property owner in East End for many years & hubby ol' home place was Eastwood, we're happy to see the new development. How could an area with such a rich history have been unknown for so long?

Reading messages, there is mention of "unknown/untapped potential" areas around Country Club Estates & Idlywood. There are great buys in these areas. I've owned a house in the Sunnylan subdivision area for years & the area just seems to be unknown. There are numerous "unknown/under appreciated" small subdivisions along Lawndale from Telephone to Wayside. They border the Gulf Fwy on the South. Also just across the freeway @ Telephone is more "untapped potential". Being a pioneer is not easy nor is it always profitable unless one is in it for the "long run". I have a house in that area I'm wanting to sell in the near future & hope I can find a buyer who can "appreciate an underdeveloped jewel in the rough" enough to pay me a decent price.

i'm just gettin into real estate investing. this is the area i'm concentrating on. i believe this area is prime for growth.

• 4 months later...
Guest andriasfault
Sorry to burst your bubble, but these are only half-truths. Yes there are definitely people who moved into the area looking to make quick profits, but for the most part that isn't the case as people move into the area to actually set up a home and live in it. And yes, while many homes in the neighborhood need a lot of work, they are also priced significantly less than those in very good shape. Which beings me to my next point: It is very simplistic to compare a 10% decrease in market value year-over-year and say that values are declining. In old neighborhoods it is all about the quality of housing stock. The majority of homes that sold last year where not remodeled (or were badly remodeled) and so in need of quite a bit of work to bring them to standard. That was reflected in their selling price. In old neighborhoods you have to compare comparables.

And Idylwood homes not having enough closet space? I'm confused. You do realize these are 30's and 40's-era homes, right? Many homes still have one bathroom too! :D

Finally, the deed restrictions aren't yet fully approved, though there is no reason to think they won't be as support from the majority of homes is strong. Garage apartments are OK, just as long as they aren't rented out--single family only. No parking on the lawn, but parking in the street is fine as the streets are public and can't be regulated. And I'm not sure what you mean about the old round of restrictions being too strict. There was no previous round, only surveys to see what people were interested in seeing in the new restrictions. The new restrictions are on their website at http://www.idylwood-houston.org

I know this is an old post but whoever mentioned the restrictive nature of old deed restrictions may have been referring to the "caucasian clause." For many years, the deed restrictions in Idylwood stated that only caucasians could reside in Idylwood. That terminology was still in the deed restrictions, although no longer legally enforceable, until recently. I live in Idylwood and, no, I am not caucasian.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone mentioned Idylwood a while ago and it reminded me of some thoughts I had from last week when I was there visiting a friend. Nice, historica area surrounded by nice landscaping and natural scenery. However, with that, it seems as if it is detached from some of the other nearby areas, areas that aren't quite as impressive but are far from dicey.

It also looks as if it could be the catalyst for a larger resurgence of the area in general if someone invested in amenities such as expanded retail, roads (both Wayside and Lawdale are in pretty rough shape).

Brays Bayou could be rehabbed into quite a jewel, given the green and tree-lined surroundings.

Culturally and commercially, there could be more connectivity between Idylwood and some of the other areas to the immediate east and west. Some of the empty parcels along I-45 just south of the area could be replaced by new housing or businesses (the old Quality Inn Hotel has been demolished but I have no idea if there will be anything to replace it).

Anyone else familiar with the area?

There are many great remarks/truths responding to your questions. Too long to read them all. In case no one mentioned, the taxes are very expensive here, no surprise. I have lived around there since a kid, had friends that owned homes there. Only real drawback you should think about is FLOODING. Stay away from that bayou unless you don't mind cleaning up every few years. Another obstacle, those pain in the rear low-low-income apartments next door (Sylvan street area). That dump produces the worse element you can imagine. My brother made a big mistake of buying his house on that street. There is a steady flow of vagrants and recent parolees going up & down Sylvan st to that disgusting store on the corner at Wayside. Everyone carries booze under their arm. The party never stops. Homeless crowd party out on the side 24/7. Cops cant handle the overload. There are also many sewage problems because of the bayou. Along the edge of that bayou there is a steady homeless population and recent newcomers (guess what border). Sure ain't Canada!

I know people want to sell these homes but consider the angst, getting in and out of there can be hellish too with the hardcore backups from Wayside to get to 45.

Sorry to be honest, but I wouldn't want someone to sugarcoat the truth to me. Been here since 1968 seen it all!

There are many great remarks/truths responding to your questions. Too long to read them all. In case no one mentioned, the taxes are very expensive here, no surprise. I have lived around there since a kid, had friends that owned homes there. Only real drawback you should think about is FLOODING. Stay away from that bayou unless you don't mind cleaning up every few years. Another obstacle, those pain in the rear low-low-income apartments next door (Sylvan street area). That dump produces the worse element you can imagine. My brother made a big mistake of buying his house on that street. There is a steady flow of vagrants and recent parolees going up & down Sylvan st to that disgusting store on the corner at Wayside. Everyone carries booze under their arm. The party never stops. Homeless crowd party out on the side 24/7. Cops cant handle the overload. There are also many sewage problems because of the bayou. Along the edge of that bayou there is a steady homeless population and recent newcomers (guess what border). Sure ain't Canada!

I know people want to sell these homes but consider the angst, getting in and out of there can be hellish too with the hardcore backups from Wayside to get to 45.

Sorry to be honest, but I wouldn't want someone to sugarcoat the truth to me. Been here since 1968 seen it all!

Some of the houses closest to the bayou flood, thats it. A "steady flow" of vagrants thru Idylwood's western edge? Partys "24/7"? I don't think so.

Some of the houses closest to the bayou flood, thats it. A "steady flow" of vagrants thru Idylwood's western edge? Partys "24/7"? I don't think so.

Well along the bayou across lawndale from idylwood there were little tents in the woods because i used to ride the bike trail prior to the bayou widening.

Well along the bayou across lawndale from idylwood there were little tents in the woods because i used to ride the bike trail prior to the bayou widening.

Correct,

We knew (scary) the person that lived in that home that was demolished at the eastern end of Sylvan street as it curved around to the park. He resembled Charlie Manson. Unfortunatly, he let the house go beyond repair, his marbles also went as years passed sad to say and he allowed vagrants to live there free, one had a trailor parked on the edge of the bayou. There may have been more later not sure. It got so bad the place resembled a hippie commune of the 60's. I assure that majority of folks were convicts, etc. It's hard to believe that the house once apppeared in "House Beautiful" magazine back in the mid 1950's due to it's innovative moderne appearance. Over the years it had lost its patios, detail, & huge entertaiment area due to flooding. Foundation washed out by the water over the years. When I realized the owner was not dealing with reality I basically went away. I was referring to the other end of Sylvan by that crummy little store when I meant steady flow of freaks. Drive (or walk) by and try to count the bottles of alcohol. I also know a lady at the corner and she and others there have had stolen cars crash into thier homes on several occasions. That is a real dead man's curve. I am not exxagerating just go to a Super neighborhhod town hall meeting, coincidentally there is one tonight at Vila de matel convent. They have photos & documents on the subject. It's those ravaged apartments too. Just take a peek, I mean in the late evening. Great filming location for cops & America's Most Wanted.

I am about to move in to Idylwood. By the end of the month McGregor will be my new home street and I am excited to be in that neighborhood ... I so much looked for a house there and I am glad! I love the area! I found it amazing that lots of people do not know about Idylwood!

Who else in this forum lives in Idylwood? I'd like to have new friends!

Let me know ...

Roberto

Robert,

In case you havent seen the latest: Here is a bite of reality. Kind od like when dirt is swept under the rug...

Correct,

We knew (scary) the person that lived in that home that was demolished at the eastern end of Sylvan street as it curved around to the park. He resembled Charlie Manson. Unfortunately, he let the house go beyond repair, his marbles also went as years passed sad to say and he allowed vagrants to live there free, one had a trailor parked on the edge of the bayou. There may have been more later not sure. It got so bad the place resembled a hippie commune of the 60's. I assure that majority of folks were convicts, etc. It's hard to believe that the house once apppeared in "House Beautiful" magazine back in the mid 1950's due to it's innovative moderne appearance. Over the years it had lost its patios, detail, & huge entertaiment area due to flooding. Foundation washed out by the water over the years. When I realized the owner was not dealing with reality I basically went away. I was referring to the other end of Sylvan by that crummy little store when I meant steady flow of freaks. Drive (or walk) by and try to count the bottles of alcohol. I also know a lady at the corner and she and others there have had stolen cars crash into thier homes on several occasions. That is a real dead man's curve. I am not exxagerating just go to a Super neighborhhod town hall meeting, coincidentally there is one tonight at Vila de matel convent. They have photos & documents on the subject. It's those ravaged apartments too. Just take a peek, I mean in the late evening. Great filming location for cops & America's Most Wanted. John Walsh where are you?!

Robert,

In case you havent seen the latest: Here is a bite of reality. Kind od like when dirt is swept under the rug...

Correct,

We knew (scary) the person that lived in that home that was demolished at the eastern end of Sylvan street as it curved around to the park. He resembled Charlie Manson. Unfortunately, he let the house go beyond repair, his marbles also went as years passed sad to say and he allowed vagrants to live there free, one had a trailor parked on the edge of the bayou. There may have been more later not sure. It got so bad the place resembled a hippie commune of the 60's. I assure that majority of folks were convicts, etc. It's hard to believe that the house once apppeared in "House Beautiful" magazine back in the mid 1950's due to it's innovative moderne appearance. Over the years it had lost its patios, detail, & huge entertaiment area due to flooding. Foundation washed out by the water over the years. When I realized the owner was not dealing with reality I basically went away. I was referring to the other end of Sylvan by that crummy little store when I meant steady flow of freaks. Drive (or walk) by and try to count the bottles of alcohol. I also know a lady at the corner and she and others there have had stolen cars crash into thier homes on several occasions. That is a real dead man's curve. I am not exxagerating just go to a Super neighborhhod town hall meeting, coincidentally there is one tonight at Vila de matel convent. They have photos & documents on the subject. It's those ravaged apartments too. Just take a peek, I mean in the late evening. Great filming location for cops & America's Most Wanted. John Walsh where are you?!

Oh please, Idylwood is about as tame as it gets anywhere. Doesn't mean nothing ever happens, but it is not the zoo your description paints of it. There aren't that many apartment units even over there near Sylvan. If there are tents across lawndale back off by the cemetery and golf course, thats not in Idylwood, that's across Lawndale. You always see people out in Idylwood walking their dogs, jogging, etc. I see that all the time in there. I have never seen what you describe down in there. It may exist to some small degree, but it exists to some small degree almost everywhere. its the reality of living in the 4th largest city in the US. Not just the east end. Read the Woodlands threads on here and even out there they have some issues.

I get the impression you are very down about the whole area. But, the whole area is transitioning, I think you have seen rock bottom. Once those townhomes in the warehouse district really get rolling, and they will, things are going to continue to gain steam all through there. We will probably all be complaining that we miss the days before it became too much like suburbia!

I completely agree. If I had the money laying around I'd buy everything in 77023 that was 150k and under.

flipper

Oh please, Idylwood is about as tame as it gets anywhere. Doesn't mean nothing ever happens, but it is not the zoo your description paints of it. There aren't that many apartment units even over there near Sylvan. If there are tents across lawndale back off by the cemetery and golf course, thats not in Idylwood, that's across Lawndale. You always see people out in Idylwood walking their dogs, jogging, etc. I see that all the time in there. I have never seen what you describe down in there. It may exist to some small degree, but it exists to some small degree almost everywhere. its the reality of living in the 4th largest city in the US. Not just the east end. Read the Woodlands threads on here and even out there they have some issues.

I get the impression you are very down about the whole area. But, the whole area is transitioning, I think you have seen rock bottom. Once those townhomes in the warehouse district really get rolling, and they will, things are going to continue to gain steam all through there. We will probably all be complaining that we miss the days before it became too much like suburbia!

In all fairness, when I was scoping out the East End, a realtor told me about how a mailman in Idylwood had been robbed at gunpoint and forced to strip naked as they stole the truck just a few weeks before. That's pretty bad.

But having said that, and I'll also grant that Sylvan Street is used by many folks in nearby neighborhoods to get to the trails and parks on the bayou, Idylwood is otherwise a very nice place. My only real complaint was the propensity of yuppies. I can't stand them in large numbers. They are the reason why I can't stand the Eastwood Civic Assn. meetings.

In all fairness, when I was scoping out the East End, a realtor told me about how a mailman in Idylwood had been robbed at gunpoint and forced to strip naked as they stole the truck just a few weeks before. That's pretty bad.

Yes, then I guess in all fairness you better stear clear of Spring because some kids might sodomize you with a pvc pipe, watch out in Kingwood or your neighbor might kill you and steal your car if you complain about their dog, so on and so forth. Those are all pretty bad, worse in fact, but weird isolated incidents are not representative of areas.

I'm sure they have a few issues over there, but nothing worse than some of the more so-called desirable areas of Houston Metro. Its a quiet area and on the bell curve, pretty safe.

Yes, then I guess in all fairness you better stear clear of Spring because some kids might sodomize you with a pvc pipe, watch out in Kingwood or your neighbor might kill you and steal your car if you complain about their dog, so on and so forth. Those are all pretty bad, worse in fact, but weird isolated incidents are not representative of areas.

I'm sure they have a few issues over there, but nothing worse than some of the more so-called desirable areas of Houston Metro. Its a quiet area and on the bell curve, pretty safe.

I'd have to think that some of the examples you noted are probably more indicative of "weird isolated incidents", whereas Idylwood and surrounding neighborhoods probably get it at a more frequent rate, but your point is well taken. No place is immune to crime.

LOL, i've heard the rose-colored glasses are common.

Haha, no. Look at the cars in Idylwood. Look at the sale prices in Idylwood. They're yuppies. Eastwood is on it's way too.

Seriously, I could never live in Montrose, Heights, Bellaire, West U., etc. I'm just not a good match for those neighborhoods. But I'm also not a good fit in the burbs. I just kind of want to do my own thing and not be bothered, and I know that I'll never find that kind of freedom in a place populated by an excessive number of yuppies.

My only real complaint was the propensity of yuppies. I can't stand them in large numbers. They are the reason why I can't stand the Eastwood Civic Assn. meetings.

Yeah, well, at least it's better than having NO civic association! The ECA Board does have members from neighborhoods adjacent to Eastwood proper, I'm happy to say. One of my main complaints is that the civic ass'n. newsletter is published so infrequently. If I were more computer-savvy, I would offer to produce it on a more regular basis. Right now, with all the work on my house, I just don't have the time to learn desktop publishing skills.

Outside of the small apartment buildings on Sylvan and the now-demolished house at Sylvan and MacGregor, Idylwood is a great neighborhood. We tried for years to get the apartments on Sylvan torn down or sold, but the owner pulled the 'disabled' card, and the County's law firm said that the County wouldn't take the property for its back taxes.

If you check out HPD's crime stats (which honestly are the best indication we have as to the problems of any area), you will see issues in Idylwood proper are very low. When I lived there, the worst we had were auto burglaries and that poor woman's cat that was killed. HPD and the Constables keep a pretty good eye on the place (I would leave my car on the street any night in Idylwood versus dowtown where I live now!).

Given some of the surrounding areas, I'm amazed that Idylwood doesn't have more crime.

Guest andriasfault
Haha, no. Look at the cars in Idylwood. Look at the sale prices in Idylwood. They're yuppies. Eastwood is on it's way too.

Seriously, I could never live in Montrose, Heights, Bellaire, West U., etc. I'm just not a good match for those neighborhoods. But I'm also not a good fit in the burbs. I just kind of want to do my own thing and not be bothered, and I know that I'll never find that kind of freedom in a place populated by an excessive number of yuppies.

I guess Idylwood is safe but not immune from crime. In the five years I have lived there, my vehicle has been broken into one time and that is because I parked it on the street while kids were out for the summer. I don't do that anymore. My house was also egged twice - probably by kids.

As far as the "yuppie" complaint I am not sure it is entirely accurate although it is certainly headed in that direction. It seems that the folks in Idylwood are either older folks who have been there for decades (and seem to be dying off) or the young families and young couples who have recently moved it and, yes, they tend to be yuppies.

Guest andriasfault
What is the definition of Yuppie in the context of this thread?

flipper

The way I understood it and on which I based my response was the "generic" young urban professional.

What is the definition of Yuppie in the context of this thread?

flipper

Consumption-minded individuals with a drive to be hip or trendy, and that seem to have more dollars than sense. There are plenty of variants of yuppies, though. A fair number of them have a high need for power and control. They are my personal nemesis, as I just want autonomy.

Having said that, they also comprise my primary target market for most urban projects that I work on, so they're directly and indirectly the source of my dollars and basis for my own consumption. So I might be a self-loathing hypocrite...possibly. I'm not sure.

Archived