AT&T U-verse

I've punched in myriad addresses in 77018 into the online service locator tool, and most all of them come back with no service. Its more than just the east side that's spotty.

My sister has it on Sue Barnett but her sister in law a couple of blocks away can't get it.

• 3 months later...

So I'm supposed to have access to over 17,000 wi-fi hot spots, including the Starbucks ones. Do I just use my u-verse login when I try to connect there, or is there some other setup that is going to be required?

I've been wondering that too... they gave us a pamphlet about it but I haven't read it yet. I'm guessing you use your internet password. Though mine is a random string of numbers. Have you figured out how to change that?

We got u-verse a couple of weeks ago and I like it better than Comcast. Better picture, more HD channels, better guide, and DVR is included.

Get a TIVO.

I LOVE mine.

Not to bash, but I have AT&T U-verse as well, and here are a couple of my observations:

1. Their service really stunk when I first moved in, but now everything seems to be running pretty much as promised. I have had a few bad boxes that they replaced and whenever it is a problem that requires more than a reboot, I call them up and they are pretty prompt
  2. Part of the problem with the DVR (and this is not to bash) is that it is running Windows CE. I mean, that software was barely usable on a PDA and they have it running an entire PDA ... I think it's simply not made for that
  3. My ONE complaint is in programming. I hate when a show moves to a different night and I have it programmed for another night. I mean, is it really so hard to ask that the software be smart enough to keep up with shows that move (heck, I can't keep up which is the reason I bought a DVR system in the first place!

Okay, that's all, I think.

How does U-Verse service 1.) Connect to your house, from the outside and 2.) Distribution inside of your home?

Right now, I'm remodeling my house and I have RG-6 coax and cat5e/6 distributed to every room. The RG-6 "network" and the cat5e/6 "network" hubs are run to a central closet in my home. If you had Comcast or satellite TV... this would allow you to run service to the closet... and then from the closet, redistribute throughout the house, where ever you wanted TV and/or internet service. All in one spot.

The existing telephone service comes in from the outside of my house, direct to the kitchen and to one additional phone jack in the master bedroom. That's it. Because land line phone service is a dying technology (so I thought), I left it alone. I didn't run telephone wire all over the house (like I did with RG-6 and Ethernet).

How would AT&T deal with this setup, as-is?

Do I need to run telephone wire every where? Or just one line to my closet? - and then from there the U-Verse box can use RG-6 or Ethernet? Do I need a telephone wire in my living room, where the DVR gets plugged into? So confusing. I've looked online and what people talk about is their service - once it is installed. I'm trying to figure out what the optimal wiring configuration needs to be vs. what the service offers... just in case I decide to get U-Verse, should it ever come to my area.

Uverse can be installed over Cat-6 as well. Just be sure you watch over the installer so he doesnt do something stupid to your internal wiring. I have seen installers (not just Uverse) undo your home-run lines and just run a direct line to the TV's you need today. I always warn installers that they are not to change the internal wiring of my house... get the system working where the line comes into the house, and Ill take it from there.

1. My ONE complaint is in programming. I hate when a show moves to a different night and I have it programmed for another night. I mean, is it really so hard to ask that the software be smart enough to keep up with shows that move (heck, I can't keep up which is the reason I bought a DVR system in the first place!

Seriously? Do others have this issue? That is core functionality of a DVR... I dont care what channel it comes on, or what time... If a new episode of "whatever show you want" comes on, the DVR should be able to record it.

Well ... there is a way around it. You can override the base setting when setting up a program and select ANY DAY, ANY TIME. But if there are re-runs it will pick them up to.

Not a perfect solution.

Seriously? Do others have this issue? That is core functionality of a DVR... I dont care what channel it comes on, or what time... If a new episode of "whatever show you want" comes on, the DVR should be able to record it.

Not to bash, but I have AT&T U-verse as well, and here are a couple of my observations:

1. Their service really stunk when I first moved in, but now everything seems to be running pretty much as promised. I have had a few bad boxes that they replaced and whenever it is a problem that requires more than a reboot, I call them up and they are pretty prompt
  2. Part of the problem with the DVR (and this is not to bash) is that it is running Windows CE. I mean, that software was barely usable on a PDA and they have it running an entire PDA ... I think it's simply not made for that
  3. My ONE complaint is in programming. I hate when a show moves to a different night and I have it programmed for another night. I mean, is it really so hard to ask that the software be smart enough to keep up with shows that move (heck, I can't keep up which is the reason I bought a DVR system in the first place!

Okay, that's all, I think.

Well, my humble Tivo will keep up with most programming changes unless its a last minute one; like Obama running past his allotted talk time on TV and the talking head putting intheir .02 worth before going back to normal programming.

My current issue with Comcast is now I NEED a converter box to see the cartoon network instead of relying on their cable cards.

I'm debating if Robot chicken and Family guy is worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Postscript: a few weeks after dropping Comcast and getting Uverse, I received a bill from Comcast... for $800!

Several hundred for equipment, plus a completely invented past due amount. I went and returned the equipment, they checked their records, and it turned out they owed me over $100. Gotta love that math.

I hate Comcast even more now. Bastards.

Not that AT&T are the best thing ever...be prepared to chase down your rebate (mine was $250 so I chased quickly). They are pretty passive about the whole thing. I called them 2 months after we were hooked up, and they kind of acted like, oh, you wanted the rebate? Yeah, we can do that. Then they tried to give me $100, I said no, it's $250 suckas, and for some reason they said well they can't do cash back but we can give you two of those Visa gift cards that work anywhere. Ok fine, just do it! Came pretty quickly after that.

I hate Comcast even more now. Bastards.

Not that AT&T are the best thing ever...be prepared to chase down your rebate (mine was $250 so I chased quickly). They are pretty passive about the whole thing. I called them 2 months after we were hooked up, and they kind of acted like, oh, you wanted the rebate? Yeah, we can do that. Then they tried to give me $100, I said no, it's $250 suckas, and for some reason they said well they can't do cash back but we can give you two of those Visa gift cards that work anywhere. Ok fine, just do it! Came pretty quickly after that.

That's odd, because I got a similar amount for a rebate that I wasn't even expecting. Talk about a pleasant surprise.

Archived