New Bars/Clubs/Restaurants In Midtown

Its next door to Taxi taxi - haven't been yet but I think the people who own it used to work at The Next Door or Rudyards or something

Ahh I see. I'd heard some of the younger crowd from Rud's had moved over to it. I saw inside. Pretty much a average shotgun retail-space with a 'S' shaped bar and a few pinball machines in the back.

Has Rud's changed much lately? Someone said more laid back or something.

escobar is great on Saturday nights and the dj is pretty good. he'll throw in some random stuff but everyone digs it. I heard Sundays they get a lot of strippers in there and strip club managers. Not sure about other nights, give them a chance. I know they have grander plans for the place to expand and such as they can.

Also, is light bar open yet? Do they have a website?

Light bar has not started construction. They have applied for their Mixed Beverage Permit, but that is it so far. They are probably working on the plans. Just looking at that place it is not going to be able to fit more than 40 people.

escobar is great on Saturday nights and the dj is pretty good. he'll throw in some random stuff but everyone digs it. I heard Sundays they get a lot of strippers in there and strip club managers. Not sure about other nights, give them a chance. I know they have grander plans for the place to expand and such as they can.

Had some friends that went to escobar after La Strada on Sunday. Said it was a blast....great crowd, a lot of fun and that esco is beginning to really become the new Sunday spot. I also heard Thursdays they get a good crowd. Did hear that they are pretty strict at the door and to go early or risk being turned away when the line piles up. Of course going in a group of both guys and girls helps. Anyone know their DJ line up or web address?

• 2 weeks later...
Had some friends that went to escobar after La Strada on Sunday.  Said it was a blast....great crowd, a lot of fun and that esco is beginning to really become the new Sunday spot.  I also heard Thursdays they get a good crowd.  Did hear that they are pretty strict at the door and to go early or risk being turned away when the line piles up.  Of course going in a group of both guys and girls helps.  Anyone know their DJ line up or web address?

Panorama,

I have only been once on a Thursday, but I like the place...cool design and good music. I think their web site is www.escobarhouston.com and they have events and DJ's listed.

Woudl like to try it on Sat and Sun, I have heard mostly good things about the place and the crowd. Anybody else been to escobar or other cool places in Midtown?

SK

Escobar on a Thursday is dead. Then they turn people away for something trivial about thier Prada shoes...

Well.....sounds like someone was turned away and a tad bit bitter? I don't know what Thursday you went, but when I was there is was a good time. To be honest I don't see a whole lot of people going out on Thursdays or other week nights until the weather gets warmer.

What about other new places in Midtown, I heard Komodos has some potential?

SK

• 2 weeks later...
That will be too bad if a lot of bars start opening in Midtown.  That really isn't the kind of development that neighborhood needs.  Sometimes it seems Midtown sure has a lot going against it.  :(

I could not agree more. On the weekends I am seeing more and more suburban kids hitting the Midtown bars. Most of the posers who hit these bars can not afford to live in Midtown. I am not happy with all the new bars going up. Midtown needs more retail not bars for twenty-somethings to binge drink and hook up at. :(

• 4 weeks later...
Escobar on a Thursday is dead. Then they turn people away for something trivial about thier Prada shoes...

FYI. try out Moksa @ Licor Lounge every Thurs.

This place is starting to pick up. I'll give it a month.

It's located in Midtown.

Sorry to hear about the Escobar incident. Escobar is only decent, if that, I think on Sat. Too small and not a joint I wanna spend my whole night if you ask me.

FYI.  try out Moksa @ Licor Lounge every Thurs. 

This place is starting to pick up.  I'll give it a month.

It's located in Midtown. 

Sorry to hear about the Escobar incident. Escobar is only decent, if that, I think on Sat.  Too small and not a joint I wanna spend my whole night if you ask me.

How about this we got a club promoter going crazy on here........I think we got the message the first two times about Licor Lounge.

Guess i'm an 80's child...........

Only good thing i'll say about Red Door......my cousin and I were walking back to her apartment on Bagby and we passed Red Door. Someone had dropped $80 on the sidewalk off of the balcony of the Red Door. Of course it quickly went in my pocket.

I received Pub Fiction's first newsletter yesterday:

PUB FICTION BREAKS GROUND ON CONSTRUCTION

On February 9, 2005, we began renovating the 2303 Smith Street Building, which will be the future home of Pub Fiction. If you don't remember, Pub Fiction is the first collaboration of Michael Paolucci and Blini Hoxha, both formerly of BAR Houston. Pub Fiction will be Midtown

• 1 month later...
FYI----  Thursdays Moksa @ Licor Lounge Midtown

Figured you might want to know about some of the Thursday venues that are up and coming and keeping steady..

Here are the details......

LICOR LOUNGE!

Edited to eliminate the advertising content, and eliminated duplicate post.

Although we're not up-to-date with the latest bars, we try to keep a good listing on our website, onemorebeer.com. The latest bars tend to not stick around so it's unusual that we will list a bar or pub unless they've lasted a year. If you want a bar listed on the site, as the bar to send us an invite and we'll come over and check it out. We also have some good info for travelers and new Houstonians, like liquor laws and such. We're pretty proud of it and hope you can find it useful.

Cheers,

Chris

mrbeer@onemorebeer.com

Cheers!

Although we're not up-to-date with the latest bars, we try to keep a good listing on our website, onemorebeer.com. The latest bars tend to not stick around so it's unusual that we will list a bar or pub unless they've lasted a year.  If you want a bar listed on the site, as the bar to send us an invite and we'll come over and check it out. We also have some good info for travelers and new Houstonians, like liquor laws and such. We're pretty proud of it and hope you can find it useful.

Cheers,

Chris

mrbeer@onemorebeer.com

Cheers!

Oops! I didn't see the Licor Lounge thing until after I posted. I was really just looking at the posts and thought I'd chime in. We make NO MONEY so please don't think we're spamming. It's just me and my wife and our friend taking photographs and we REALLY LIKE BEER!

• The title was changed to New Bars/Clubs/Restaurants In Midtown

Archived