The Oil Town Booms Again

That's not negative. That's Chicken Little logic.

Halliburton leaving is an opportunity.

"Big Oil" is only one part of Houston's "Energy Economy".

Liquids, gas, chemicals and their trasnportation play just as big of a role but everybody is caugt up on sexy oil.

I only had to see that Loren Steffy wrote that Chron article to know that it would be full of half-logic and innuendo. He is absolutely the worst business columnist I have ever seen. Just terrible.

Exactly right!! Unbelievable... Sadly, any possible good point he might have made is entirely lost because he destroys his credibility with the half-logic and innuendo, not to mention hyperbole.

it's amazing to hear, on one hand, that halliburton is opening "a" corporate office in dubai, one exec is moving and they are keeping their US incorporation. on the other hand, the national media has run with the story that halliburton is MOVING ITS HEADQUARTERS. people are all in a tizzy......"it's to avoid taxes!!!" some are saying. to top it off, our own houston paper has jumped on the misinformation bandwagon so as to have a catchy headline.

truly sad. :blink:

I still don't know why people think that Halliburton is moving its HQ to Dubai, when really they are just making a Middle Eastern HQ. Almost like Royal Dutch Shell having their U.S. HQ here in Houston, but their main HQ in Europe.

"I don't remember any Chicken Little articles in the DMN when Hailburton left Dallas."

The DMN > The Chronic

But most of us already knew that

doesn't the DMN have an architecture critic? i haven't read the DMN for years, but i seem to remember an architecture critic when i was working as an outside contractor for halliburton in carrolton/n. dallas.

Time magazine is also in a panic: While you weren't looking, the center of the oil world shifted several thousand miles to the east.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/...1598917,00.html

From now on, the "bidness" discussions at the Petroleum Club are more likely to focus on new energy technologies like carbon sequestration than wildcatting.

This is all very entertaining.

The reality is that a Houston-based company is expanding its global presence -- that's nothing but a positive for Houston.

Did anyone say Saudi Arabia's status in the oil world was on the decline when Saudi Aramco located its U.S. Headquarters in Houston??

(Granted, Aramco's CEO didn't move here...)

Time magazine is also in a panic: While you weren't looking, the center of the oil world shifted several thousand miles to the east.

Oh...you mean like how we were going to be owned by the Japanese back in the 90s?

• 2 weeks later...

Dubai is hot right now. Not only does Halliburton want its presence there, so do a lot of firms. The firm I work for is planning a Dubai office. No, we're lot leaving Houston's Headquarters, just getting a piece of the action like the rest of corporate America does.

Archived