Mean Streets of Houston?

Today's Chronicle contains an editorial regarding HPD's shortage of officers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editor...ok/4619267.html

The editorial makes the case for more officers and offers suggestions on how to increase the size of the force. I have no disagreement with these suggestions. I believe the force has been depleted by massive retirement, and a concerted effort must be made to bring it up to the national averages.

My gripe is the disingenuous use of statistics by the authors. Specifically, I take umbrage at the use of New York City as some sort of equal comparison. The article states that you are 2.28 times as likely to be murdered in Houston as NYC. On a per capita basis, this is correct. But, so what? New York City is a collection of islands, versus Houston's vast prairie. NYC has 27,000 people per square mile, versus Houston's 3,500. What kind of comparison is that?

While blaming Houston's murders on Katrina evacuees, the author's conveniently ignored the fact that NYC's murder rate went up the SAME percentage as Houston's in 2006. What caused NYC's rise. NYC has twice as many cops per 100,000 people as Houston. Why couldn't they stop the increase in murders? And, what about other cities that are a better comparison, such as Southern cities, or post World War II cities? Why did they ignore the obvious better comparisons?

Let's look at NYC and Houston murder statistics in a different way. NYC has 8.1 million people living in 303 square miles. Houston's 2.32 million residents are spread over 630 square miles. NYC's 579 murders equate to 1.91 murders per square mile. Houston's 379 murders equate to .6 per square mile. That's TRIPLE the murder rate on a land based basis! Does it make you feel safer that someone was murdered on your street, as opposed to 2 miles away, just because your neighbors live closer to you?

As I stated before, I agree with the call for more officers. Overtime increases fatigue, which increases mistakes. But, these editorialists are lazy and fear mongering. If they would be honest in their use of statistics, and compare apples to apples, maybe their argument would sound better. For that matter, New York has gun control, whereas Houston does not. Do they want to argue that point?

The ever-growing problem with today's journalism, it seems, is that when they attempt to make quantitatively-based comparisons they often use qualitative points. And if not, then the statistical comparisons are sloppy or incomplete. Is this on purpose or is it more an indictment of how journalism as an academic discipline is handled in college these days?

Let me also point out, however, that this is an editorial piece from a couple of local businesspersons and not an actual "investigative piece" but my point remains.

Anyway, I do appreciate the effort in this editorial to actually offer some suggestions as to how to go about expanding the city's police force (and to improve its overall performance). There may be reason to disagree with soem of those points but at least it goes much further than the old method of pointing out the obvious problem routine and yet offer no solutions.

As I stated before, I agree with the call for more officers. Overtime increases fatigue, which increases mistakes.

bingo. this is only a short time solution. HPD is STILL losing more officers to retirement then they are hiring. a bell should go off and make the police chief say that hiring more officers should be the TOP priority.

bingo. this is only a short time solution. HPD is STILL losing more officers to retirement then they are hiring. a bell should go off and make the police chief say that hiring more officers should be the TOP priority.

The only problem with trying to hire as many officers as possible, is the fact that you don't want a bunch of rookies without a veteran mentoring them. If the FNG's don't have someone to look after, then they'll likely make crucial mistakes later on in their careers.

You also run into the problem of a limited number of qualified applicants. Hiring too many recruits at one time can allow the dregs in, which is worse than not having the officers in the first place. The suggestion to hire retired officers, while still a stopgap solution, gives the Department time to spread the hiring out over several years.

You also run into the problem of a limited number of qualified applicants. Hiring too many recruits at one time can allow the dregs in, which is worse than not having the officers in the first place. The suggestion to hire retired officers, while still a stopgap solution, gives the Department time to spread the hiring out over several years.

unfortunately they can't even fill a class to capacity which is what makes it bad. they are already spending the money to have the class at least make a good effort to fill it. they are flying to detroit, puerto rico etc for applicants. i know quite a few sheriff's people who've been rejected....which makes me wonder about the sheriff's dept.

Red, you tend to like to argue that black is white and white is black.

HPD's estimates may even be a tad on the conservative side with regards to violent crime. Houston's a far more dangerous place today than it was just three years ago.

HPD's estimates may even be a tad on the conservative side with regards to violent crime. Houston's a far more dangerous place today than it was just three years ago.

HPD's spindoctors are definitely at work. comparing total crime vs. crime/capita, etc. i think comparisons should be the same yr to yr and not choose the one that results in a lesser number. IMO, HPD has definitely become less effective over the last 5 yrs. an officer in our area told me that certain "complaints" are too low level to get a response from HPD now. resolving these "low level" complaints would sure improve the quality of life for Houstonians.

Why don't they take a third or half of the officers in the traffic division and transfer them to the patrol division? Let the Constable's office, Sheriff's office, or Metro pd. worry about speeders. Let HPD stick to the criminal element.

Also, they need to get those ranking officers on the streets. The only time I see ranking officers (Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains) on the streets is when they are directing traffic out of a parking garage - which is an extra income gig.

Finally, I refuse to believe that there is not a line out the door of guys wanting to be HPD officers. I think (as mentioned above) HPD is turning away too many guys based on minor disqualifications (like not enough military experience, college hours, or age).

an officer in our area told me that certain "complaints" are too low level to get a response from HPD now. resolving these "low level" complaints would sure improve the quality of life for Houstonians.

HPD came out each of three times that I've had windows broken and on the third time decided to send patrol cars around the property three times per night. If there is anyone in the yard, they arrest them immediately. If my back porch light is burned out or I left the gate open, they get out, walk the perimeter of the lot, and shine flashlights everywhere, then knock on the door and inform the occupant.

It probably won't dissuade kids from doing it again in the future, but it does make the occupant feel much more safe.

Why don't they take a third or half of the officers in the traffic division and transfer them to the patrol division? Let the Constable's office, Sheriff's office, or Metro pd. worry about speeders. Let HPD stick to the criminal element.

they have to meet their ticket quota

Also, they need to get those ranking officers on the streets. The only time I see ranking officers (Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains) on the streets is when they are directing traffic out of a parking garage - which is an extra income gig.

some of the ones they've promoted were ineffective as peon officers and they are just as ineffective as ranked officers. it is all about a youthful appearance.

Finally, I refuse to believe that there is not a line out the door of guys wanting to be HPD officers. I think (as mentioned above) HPD is turning away too many guys based on minor disqualifications (like not enough military experience, college hours, or age).

I understand about qualifications and a minimum standard. i don't see not having military experience as something that should disqualify a person. age could be a factor esp if the person can't pass a physical agility test. i'd leave the college requirement in myself (but i don't think in reality that produces a "better" officer)

HPD came out each of three times that I've had windows broken and on the third time decided to send patrol cars around the property three times per night. If there is anyone in the yard, they arrest them immediately. If my back porch light is burned out or I left the gate open, they get out, walk the perimeter of the lot, and shine flashlights everywhere, then knock on the door and inform the occupant.

It probably won't dissuade kids from doing it again in the future, but it does make the occupant feel much more safe.

i hope it solves your problem. if it does i'm sure you won't see them again.

they have to meet their ticket quota

some of the ones they've promoted were ineffective as peon officers and they are just as ineffective as ranked officers. it is all about a youthful appearance.

I understand about qualifications and a minimum standard. i don't see not having military experience as something that should disqualify a person. age could be a factor esp if the person can't pass a physical agility test. i'd leave the college requirement in myself (but i don't think in reality that produces a "better" officer)

These are all excuses. The taxpayers already pay for the police department. The ticket quotas are for additional income. The ticket quotas could easily be lowered to match a reduced traffic division. Camping out under freeway u-turns to check vehicle inspections is a waste of valuable resources. The same goes for speed traps in non-school zones during non-school zone hours. If you're going to go after speeders, go for the ones that could hurt someone - the ones speeding in school zones during posted hours - and not random boulevards in the middle of commercial districts.

As for ineffective officers being promoted, that's civil service at its best. Everyone gets a fair chance based on a written test. Still, if they were ineffective "peons" as officers, then they should have been held accountable then. Waiting until they promote to rid the department of the problem is not the answer. Accountability is the answer.

I just looked at the HPD website. Starting pay as a cadet with a bachelor's degree is 33.7k a year. That might not be as much as other departments, but its still a lot for starting pay. It looks like they've eased up on the age requirement from 35 to 45, so that's a start. You still need 60 hours of college or an honorable discharge with the military. The only factor I could see them bending somemore would be the college & military requirement and making it easier for pre-qualified officers to get hired.

These are all excuses. The taxpayers already pay for the police department. The ticket quotas are for additional income. The ticket quotas could easily be lowered to match a reduced traffic division. Camping out under freeway u-turns to check vehicle inspections is a waste of valuable resources. The same goes for speed traps in non-school zones during non-school zone hours. If you're going to go after speeders, go for the ones that could hurt someone - the ones speeding in school zones during posted hours - and not random boulevards in the middle of commercial districts.

In other words, who cares about the safety of anyone but schoolchildren (except evenings and weekends, when it's OK to run over the little darlings)?

In other words, who cares about the safety of anyone but schoolchildren (except evenings and weekends, when it's OK to run over the little darlings)?

No no, of course not. I'm just saying the efforts of HPD's Traffic division should be better focused.

Archived