Lake Jackson Developments

robdog

I haven't been to Lake Jackson much in the last ten years.  Funny that the article says the lows were never that bad - when I was dealing with my Dad's estate in 03-04 the market was so depressed because of lay-offs I had a hard time selling the house and got a lot less than I expected and the estate sale brought in pennies.  I still have a storage room full of my mother's antiques that wouldn't sell and I refused to just put out on the curb.

What the city has allowed to happen to its historic legacy is depressing to me, the sad state 'Carriage Square' was allowed to deteriorate to before it was almost completely razed and the sad state of most of the rest of the original downtown laid out by Alden Dow.    The historic Lake Theater is derelict with the roof caved in.  And I know the 'government duplexes' weren't any sort of architectural wonder but, dammit, that was a neat neighborhood with winding streets like Trumpet Vine, Coral Vine and Grapevine Turn. It just became a slum right on the edge of downtown and now it's going to be an HEB parking lot.  Lake Jackson was a very unique town to grow up in in the 40s and 50s.  I can get intellectually upset over the loss of Houston history but Lake Jackson hits me in the gut.

Freeport, hated rival that it was, is even sadder.  Downtown Freeport has been a ghost town for decades.

But thanks for posting about all this.  Maybe someday I'll get psyched up and go take a look at the old burg again.

interesting. i dont recall the market being that bad in 03-04, but then again i was all of 15 years old back then.

what is "Carriage Square"? google searches seem to indicate it is the historic Alden Dow Office building, which is preserved and serves as a museum. as for the sad state of downtown, the city recently spent like $26 million revitalizing downtown with nice brick pavers and landscaping, along with updated signage and what not. now, depending on what day/time you are downtown, it can be hard to find a parking spot due to all the people. if you "haven't been down much in the last ten years", it might be worth a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to this party.  Born in Freeport 1961, grew up in Lake Jackson, Brazoswood High School Class of 1980.  Lived in Houston since graduation, but inherited my family home in 2011.  Currently completing a book about the mid-century architecture of the area, hoping to be published by Houston Mod for Christmas 2015, funding permitting.

Carriage Square was the block-long low series of office buildings on South Parking Place.  This was one of the first Alden-Dow-designed Lake Jackson buildings, with an oversailing front awning.  It did deteriorate into unsalvageable condition and was demolished about 2005.  However, the Alden Dow office at the north end was donated to the city by the owner and the Lake Jackson Historical Association restored it beautifully.  That section, still standing, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

While the Oakwood Housing Development is gone now (and its loss was hotly debated in the community) a great deal of the historic fabric, particularly houses, remains.  Preservation, beyond the ABD office and the archaeological site at the Lake, hasn't needed to be a priority up until now.  Oak Drive, Oyster Creek Drive, Plantation Court, Azalea, and Magnolia, to name a few, still display several well-kept architect-designed mid-century houses.  I fear with all this growth that there will be teardown pressure on the desirable creekside lots of Oak Drive and Oyster Creek Drive and on the modest single family Alden Dow houses west of Yaupon and along Winding Way.

All is not bleak for downtown: the Rainbow Center, Lake Jackson Clinic, and Lake Jackson Professional Building are still standing in decent condition and there has been a major revitalization effort, which to its credit emphasizes mid-century design over Plantation-style details.   Word is that the Lake Theatre will become a restaurant although I understand the project has been delayed by city inspectors.  The building does have roof issues but it is not caved in.

There is actually some new development in Freeport and some effort to spruce up the historic downtown area near Park Avenue.

• 4 months later...

been a while since I've updated this thread.

Lake Jackson is "booming", in the most suburban sense.. heh.

heres a few newer revelations.. gotta love small town news.

http://thefacts.com/free_share/article_148be3a8-bce3-5ed5-9454-770f24257331.html

La Quinta "Del Sol" concept (2nd in the state) to be built behind the Hobby Lobby shopping center.

new retail strip popped up in front of Khols with a relocated AT&T store and the areas first Panera Bread.

two new retail plots rezoned from Targets parking lot along 332. one will be a Raisin Canes.

new retail building in front of Ryans, at 332/288.

dirt moving for a new ~300 unit "Urban Crest" apartment complex at 2004/332.

plans are in the works for at least one other apartment complex (on 2004 near Bucees/Old Angleton Rd).

the Parks & Recreation board has suggested the city finance a feasibility study for the development of a water park.

• The title was changed to Lake Jackson Developments

Archived