Ethiopian Airlines nonstop service to Houston?

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

President of Ethiopia is exploring the idea of flights between Houston and Ethiopia onboard Ethiopian Airlines. I know of atleast one family that will make use of them!!! Made the announcement today while in our city for the Lucy Exibit in the Museum District.

Would be a great add to the list of foreign flag carriers here.

Additionally, the president met with airline officials to propose the establishment of a direct flight from Addis Abbaba to Houston via the country's official airline, Ethiopian Airlines.......

more here.... http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070307/20070307006261.html?.v=1

Does anyone know what the general number of Ethiopians are in the Houston area? It seems you can kinda judge such numbers by the number of restaurants of any particular culture, but the ONLY Ethiopian restaurant I KNOW of is out on Richmond Avenue called 'The Blue Nile' (I think...?).

If they're here in Houston, where are they?

President of Ethiopia is exploring the idea of flights between Houston and Ethiopia onboard Ethiopian Airlines..... http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070307/20070307006261.html?.v=1

I bet they have the "lightest" passenger loads ever!

I also hear that the snacks we serve in domestic flights served as sufficient meals on their fights. :rolleyes:

Dallas has more Ethiopian people. At least they did when I lived there.

Houston has about 7,000 to 8,000 Ethiopians. Washington DC has the largest community with more than 100,000, followed by Seattle (over 70,000), San Francisco, Atlanta, Dallas (more than 20,000).

I have never heard anyone say "I have to catch a flight to Ethipoia".

I have :)

This would be good for us. It would eliminate the current path which is a bit of a hassle. At present we have to go IAH-IAD over night in IAD. Then the next day go IAD-FCO-ADD.

Cutting DC out of the mix will shorten the travel time ;)

I have never heard anyone say "I have to catch a flight to Ethipoia".

Other than if you have relatives living there, what can possibly be worth going to such a country.

I can only see like a Habitat for Humanity things or some other Red Cross/Feed the Children/Unicef type thing.

Other than if you have relatives living there, what can possibly be worth going to such a country.

I can only see like a Habitat for Humanity things or some other Red Cross/Feed the Children/Unicef type thing.

Tourism would be king. Lots of history there in the only African country that was never colonized ;)

From your comment, you have a lot to learn. That in itself should be reason to explore the idea of going. ;)

Short cut to Cape Town?

No longer have to go on BA to London, then a 12 hour flight to Capetown.

The benefit is probably greater for their economy than for Houston's. And I think they want tourism. Lots of history there. It's one of the oldest countries in the world, second after China I think. They are also the first third-world nation to defeat a European army.

I remember the first Bush wanted bases in the Horn of Africa so he sent the US military to Somalia. Ethiopia has no access to sea, though.

Archived