How Safe Is East Side Of Downtown

My wife and I live in clear lake and are considering moving to the east side of downtown. We have looked at the developments just east of downtown by Waterhill, Urban Lofts on Ennis and In-Town Homes on Clinton. We really like the area and have felt save everywhere went. However, with the recent post about the Mckinney Villas shooting I am questioning how safe the area really is. Is Mckinney considered more dangerous than other areas or would you consider this random occurrence? I go out jogging everyday, are there streets I should avoid?

My wife and I live in clear lake and are considering moving to the east side of downtown. We have looked at the developments just east of downtown by Waterhill, Urban Lofts on Ennis and In-Town Homes on Clinton. We really like the area and have felt save everywhere went. However, with the recent post about the Mckinney Villas shooting I am questioning how safe the area really is. Is Mckinney considered more dangerous than other areas or would you consider this random occurrence? I go out jogging everyday, are there streets I should avoid?

the shooting is more random. the ones on clinton are near some projects. the ones there aren't fenced and have no parking. you're asking for trouble. south of the bayou is still considered warehouse district. i know the last yr has been quite hard on the warehouses. a good friend manages one and another has a studio. both have mentioned the increase in crime by vagrants. they've had to lock their buildings because of thefts.

that being said, you are talking a transitional area. it isn't clear lake. i ride my bike from where i live through the area quite regularly during the day. At night it is a little more dicey, and as a result i don't do it as often. i just don't think mckinney is worse. around the old el mercado del sol is also dicey cause of those projects over there. as for jogging at nite, i think your biggest problem may be dogs. it definitely is NOT clear lake.

Jonny,

As musicman said the East Side is not Clear Lake however it is a wonderful place to call home and close to everything. We have lived in the Broadmoor subdivision for almost 3 years and have loved it. We have made some good friends with the neighbors, have had no problems with anything getting stolen, broken into, you name it. I would suggest you find a good older home in an established neighborhood such as Eastwood, Idylwood, Houston Country Club, Broadmoor, etc....

This whole side of town is primed for explosive growth due to fuel prices, location of the dirt (UH/TSU, Downtown, Medical Center), and all the new construction downtown such as Houston Pavilions.

Good luck with your move, find a good agent to help you,

Scharpe St Guy

I've got to agree that the shooting was probably random and rare. The only time that I've ever heard gunfire in the East End is New Year's Eve.

If you're intent on moving inside the loop, most areas aren't going to be perfectly safe, and that's just something that you're going to have to accept. The greater West U area is probably the best, but even Montrose/Midtown/Heights areas, which have more thoroughly gentrified, have their share of crime. My boss lived in a gated townhome development in Montrose, for instance, until one of his neighbors got shot from outside of the fence while standing in the driveway. Its just a risk that comes with the territory.

If you jog, I'd suggest that you try and stick to the major thoroughfares, where there is plenty of visibility and a greater police presence. I don't imagine that you'd have much trouble during the daytime, though.

If you really want to find a crime free haven in the east end you should buy in Idylwood as it is significantly less there, according to official statistics, than in the surrounding areas. Oh, but you will have to pay about $120/sq. ft. Regarding jogging, I occassionally jog in the east end (day or night and not just in Idylwood) and have never had a problem. I run with my dog which deflects attention from stray dogs from me to him but he can handle it. If the streets are not for you, there is a trail alongside Gus Wortham golf course (currently being renovated/beautified), there are trails in the cemetery across from Idylwood and Mason Park has a mile long track.

i live close to the area that you are considering, off of leeland. it is a transitional area - however, i have not had any problems personally yet. there had been an occasional spray painting/ graffiti of some cars parked on the street, but for the most part its a relatively safe area. i have walked home from warehouse live (off of st emmanuel) and not had any problems. i also have gone running from my house into downtown and back and had nothing, but i usually go when its still a little light outside. i was surprised at the mckinney shooting that was mentioned around here.

all in all, there really aren't that many homeless i see either in the area. since there arent many businesses right now, i guess there is no incentive for them to come over from midtown and beg over on the east end yet. there are the occasional guys walking down the street with carts, but thats just part of being in an area like this.

as for running, once you are inside the loop there are all kinds of great trails to run - i grew up in bay oaks, and its a little different than being able to just open your door and run around a suburb neighborhood, but you are about a 5 minute drive from the allen parkway trail and not too far from memorial either - both are great trails and feel great when you can see the skyline in the distance. the potential on the near east end is really high i think with many townhomes being built. the park will be on the east side of downtown (think it will have a running trail), and HP won't be much further. i also think the near east end has some of the best freeway access - i45 and 59, and 288 are right there and you can be on those instantly. the problem with the area on clinton is access - i almost bought over there, but its a little trickier area to get in and out of. its got potential also, but i prefer the area closer to 45 and 59 better.

The south east side IS what people THINK the sw side is.

Care to explain?

Are you saying that the SE side of town (I assume you mean 2nd Ward, 3rd Ward, East End, South Park, Sunnyside) is more crime-ridden than the SW side of town?

I don't have any hard facts with me to back it up, but I can't imagine there are more murders on the SE side than the SW side.

I've lived in both parts of town, and I *feel* much safer on the SE side than SW side. I know the SW side has WAAAAAAY more apartments than the SE side. I bet there are more residents in Gulfton apartments than there are in the SE quadrant of the 610 Loop.

Anecdotally, I don't see police officers in our neighborhood but maybe once every month or two.

In the 6 months I lived in the Gulfton area (over 10 years ago, so it was a lower crime rate back then), we had a murder and a rape in my apartment complex. When I lived off of Fondren, there was a murder two blocks away from me, and another friend in the area had both his apartment and car broken into in a 6-month period. Again, this was 10 years ago, when the neighborhood was supposedly safer.

Again, it's all anecdotal evidence, but if you're saying that the SE side is worse than SW side, I don't buy it.

Thursday night there was a helicopter flying low along mckinney directly behind my house. I looked outside and saw a patrol car going down to sampson and turning back looking for something/someone. Down the street @ ennis there were two patrol cars and a police officer looking for something along the tracks. No idea what that was about, but since it was just a week from the shooting, my wife was a little worried. My buddy that lives in a INtown home on palmer @ leeland says there is a 'crackdown' of some sort going on in this part of town.

That being said, i still feel just as safe as i did a month ago, only now i am more aware of my surroundings. This is a great area, and like people have mentioned it has great potential. My advice, get a house in a gated community. Atleast your car will be safe from robbery/vandalism.

Having moved here from pecan grove (fort bend county) it has been a HUGE adjustment. But i'm happy here and the proximity to work/freeways is just great.

I'll rephrase...

the SE side is what people think Sharpstown is.

Fondren SW, Alief, Gulfton, not the best areas of town by far.

Rather than rephrasing, can you validate that statement with any data/statistics? Everything I have seen, as well as the links submitted by other posters, seem to indicate otherwise.

I have lived in this area for just about a year now...I bought one of the Perry townhomes...I havn't had had any problems or seen any criminal activity, but I tend to keep to myself. I do see people jogging in the daytime and walking their dogs at all hours so I assume people feel pretty safe. There is so much new construction going there and there is a police station pretty close by. Anyway, I hope this helps you.

Best advice is get to know the locals. They won't steer you wrong.

The Near East End is the better part. Behind Macy's warehouse neighborhood, Broadmoor and Eastwood are the best way to go. The closer you go towards Harrisburg and beyond, forget it. Unless you have have law enforcement or former military experience. There are some real bargains over on 1300-1400 Munger street! We need good people! Thinking of placing ad in the paper for good neighbors... desperate. :)

I have personally lived in both the near East End (Eastwood) and the far East End (Mason Park), and actually feel more secure farther out. There isn't nearly as much (shopping cart) foot traffic or noise here as where I lived in Eastwood. In fact, our garage was broken into three times during our last few months on McKinney which was one of the reasons we moved. I certainly wouldn't limit your search to Eastwood, Broadmoor, etc. I walk to and around the Mason Park track nearly every day with my baby in tow and have rarely, if ever, been concerned about our safety.

I have personally lived in both the near East End (Eastwood) and the far East End (Mason Park), and actually feel more secure farther out. There isn't nearly as much (shopping cart) foot traffic or noise here as where I lived in Eastwood. In fact, our garage was broken into three times during our last few months on McKinney which was one of the reasons we moved. I certainly wouldn't limit your search to Eastwood, Broadmoor, etc. I walk to and around the Mason Park track nearly every day with my baby in tow and have rarely, if ever, been concerned about our safety.

i must thank you for your honesty. for some reason, the close in eastside has been more premier however as a resident of the far east end, i will have to say that the crime i'm aware of has been way less that than of the warehouse district for instance. stop by sometime mp3! i'm just a bike ride down evergreen away!

Edited by musicman

I walk to and around the Mason Park track nearly every day with my baby in tow and have rarely, if ever, been concerned about our safety.

We were so happy to hear that alcohol was permanently banned from Mason Park (and rest of city parks) a few years ago. You immediately noticed the big difference in the park's atmosphere. Its been a while since I have passed by there but noticed the traffic jams decreased and beer bottles, wild parties, gone. We should thank HPD for enforcing the ordinance. The houses & properties in that area are such rarities. Have not seen any in Houston that compare. I hope they never remove the pool and those Spanish style buildings. My mom said that park was a real show stopper back in the 1940's & 50's. People with good incomes must have surrounded the park once. :)

i must thank you for your honesty. for some reason, the close in eastside has been more premier however as a resident of the far east end, i will have to say that the crime i'm aware of has been way less that than of the warehouse district for instance. stop by sometime mp3! i'm just a bike ride down evergreen away!

Thank you for the hospitality musicman. We'd certainly like to meet some more Far Eastenders.

I walk to and around the Mason Park track nearly every day with my baby in tow and have rarely, if ever, been concerned about our safety.

We were so happy to hear that alcohol was permanently banned from Mason Park (and rest of city parks) a few years ago. You immediately noticed the big difference in the park's atmosphere. Its been a while since I have passed by there but noticed the traffic jams decreased and beer bottles, wild parties, gone. We should thank HPD for enforcing the ordinance. The houses & properties in that area are such rarities. Have not seen any in Houston that compare. I hope they never remove the pool and those Spanish style buildings. My mom said that park was a real show stopper back in the 1940's & 50's. People with good incomes must have surrounded the park once. :)

My grandparents grew up in what they have always called "the old neighborhood", "Magnolia," or "the Avenues" on the other side of Harrisburg. They have also mentioned to me that "you had to have a really good job" to live around here back then. It appears as if it may come full circle.

• The title was changed to How Safe Is East Side Of Downtown?
  • The title was changed to How Safe Is East Side Of Downtown