Will Atlanta overtake Houston in population?

I don't know, are they? I think it cool that Texas got two megacities that are both bigger than ATL and all 3 have similar staus. I be very disapointd if Atlanta did overtake us and im nervus it will be sooner rather than later. People tell me that houston ecomomy is doing well and still while atlanta is growing, houston still growing strong but not as fast. Do you predict they will outgrow us? If so, how long?

Atlanta has actually slowed down a bit in the past year, while Houston has picked it up a bit. Houston's strong economy will keep it ahead of Atlanta's metro for the foreseeable future. We have nothing to worry about.

I just pmed a mod so they can add the option "NO". i don't know why it didn't show up.

You being the owner of the thread, just go to the first post and click edit, you will see an option to fix the voting issues.

So... I just have to play devil's advocate here and ask why is it that it's okay to compare "Atlanta" (meaning metro) to "Houston" (meaning metro) in the great "who's bigger" battle? Yet, anytime such comparisons involve Dallas and Houston, the anti-Dallas comments start flying like crazy? Seems like a double-standard to me... Anytime anyone even refers to "Dallas" as a metro, or talks about DFW being bigger than Houston, they're practically burned at the HAIF stake...

Why isn't anyone pointing out that Atlanta proper has a population of less than 500,000 and isn't even one of the largest 40 cities in terms of population? If this was a Dallas v Houston comparison - again - it would be immediately pointed out that "Dallas" isn't bigger than Houston, and that it takes the whole Metroplex to be larger than Houston???

Not trying to start a fight - just pointing out the inconsistency...

I love Houston but yes, Atlanta will overtake us in population eventually. Atlanta, with it's hills and trees, is more attractive than Houston. Many freeways there are like parkways, lined with trees, while ours are lined with businesses. And the climate there is better than ours. Our winters are milder, but summer here is much more oppresive than in Atlanta.

Climate and natural beauty are huge factors when people and companies decide where to locate. We can do a lot to make living here more desirable, but adding hills and changing the weather are things we cannot do.

Plus, the economy there is more diverse than ours. We depend too much on the oil business.

Atlanta has CNN which serves as a great promotional tool. On a slow news day, they just take their cameras and reporters into the community, interviewing "experts" and showing off the city and it's people.

Also, Houston has to compete with areas like Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin/San Antonio for people and resources, while Atlanta owns the South and has no real in-state rival.

That being said, both Atlanta and Houston have a very promising future ahead.

There's also the fact that Houston is the largest city in the South population wise. The variety of industries that we have would make sure that we are gaining in population.

The major cities that have grown have not only had been located on COASTS, but also have been a major transportation hub for a variety of goods and services. One of the reasons Chicago is so huge is that at one point, it had (I think still has) the largest railroad yards in the nation, as well as a hub for several major carriers (including Fed Ex and UPS in the mix).

Atlanta isn't really going to be a hub of anything in particular because it's not a way station to any particular place for any particular industry.

Right now, Atlanta is the transportation hub of the SE United States due to the size and power of Atlanta's airport.

There's also the fact that Houston is the largest city in the South population wise. The variety of industries that we have would make sure that we are gaining in population.

The major cities that have grown have not only had been located on COASTS, but also have been a major transportation hub for a variety of goods and services. One of the reasons Chicago is so huge is that at one point, it had (I think still has) the largest railroad yards in the nation, as well as a hub for several major carriers (including Fed Ex and UPS in the mix).

Atlanta isn't really going to be a hub of anything in particular because it's not a way station to any particular place for any particular industry.

I think the past few years, Atlanta's outstanding growth was just really because it was Atlanta's time. I think Atlanta is still growing healthy but has slowed down a bit. Houston's time was in the 70s and early 80s and still maintains a heathy growth rate its economy continues to diversify. Someone said earlier that Houston's economy depends too much on Oil, but within the past 30 years, its diverted to Medical Research and other things. Houston is an international city which also draws foreign immigrants. The Port is also a huge advantage, and when the Port extends to Dallas, that will make it even easier for goods to come into the state, contributing to further jobs, thus resulting in further growth.

Yes Atlanta is very capable of passing Houston but i just don't see it happening in my lifetime as long as Houston maintains a healthy growth rate.

Atlanta has actually slowed down a bit in the past year, while Houston has picked it up a bit. Houston's strong economy will keep it ahead of Atlanta's metro for the foreseeable future. We have nothing to worry about.

Houston really does appear to be growing. I live in 1960 @ I45 and it seems like there is new development going up all over the place from schools, strip centers, new apartments, etc. Seems like every available tract of land out here is being bought up and developed. While this does not mean overall population growth, it appears to be happening everywhere. Drive out Westheimer and lands that were vacant just a few years ago are being developed (think the new Home Depot and Super Target right up around Westheimer and Dunvale).

Additionally, new communities are being built in all points north, south, east, and west.

I have a feeling Houston is growing a LOT faster than it is officially acknowledged.

Don't Worry about Atlanta surpassing Houston in terms of population. I heard that as soon as Atlanta gets close, Houston is going to annex all of Southern Louisiana. That should keep Atlanta at bay for another 5 years.

Atlanta will not pass Houston, remember a few years ago it was Phoneix that was going to pass Houston. Houston countinues to have a consistent growth year after year. Atlanta has CNN, Coca-Cola, Home Depot etc... - that doesn't compare to the world's energy capital, NASA, medical center and research with its 100,000+ high paying employees etc.... In terms of metro population over the next couple decades it will end up like this and more likely stay like this over our life-time- 1. L.A. 2. NY 3. Chicago 4. DFW 5. Houston -

Don't Worry about Atlanta surpassing Houston in terms of population. I heard that as soon as Atlanta gets close, Houston is going to annex all of Southern Louisiana. That should keep Atlanta at bay for another 5 years.

Why are you so negative and rude about everything? Do you need to get laid or something? Just worry about your city and its problems.

Just like Dallas snatches all of innocent little Fort Worth and all their city amentities and try to form it as one to boost Dallas's image.

Seriously, grow up man!

Archived