Mayor Visits Glenbrook Area

Mayor White had a sort of "Town Hall" meeting in Glenbrook this week. He came to discuss the different topics, primarily plans for the improvement of Broadway Boulevard.

Personally I think Broadway Boulevard's improvement is an important issue for the whole city, not just the immediate area. It is a gateway for people coming in & out of Hobby Airport. Broadway makes a lousy first impression of our city for business travelers who might be considering moving to Houston or opening an office here, etc. Even for friends or relatives coming in from out of town, it is a black eye for the city to have that blight be the first thing they see.

I pressed the Mayor about the Vietnamese complex around Broadway & Bellfort. You all have seen it. The balconies falling down, sagging roofs, the make-shift signs and businesses that have opened up on the ground floor, the boarded up windows, etc., etc. It is horrible. In a nut shell, the Mayor admitted the building was completely out of compliance with the building and safety codes, that he had Engineers that had looked at it but basically the building was too far gone to ever be brought up to code, that it is in fact dangerous, and that they were not enforcing the building codes on it.

With dozens of city department heads there, he basically refused to enforce the codes that apply to all of us, because he did not want to have those residents displaced and "scattered" and the residents there from Glenbrook had not told him what to do with the people that lived there. Um...okay. If I do something that is out of code with my property, are you going to let me slide? Or do I have to be Vietnamese for that to happen? So sorry, folks, even with dozens of department heads there that we all pay taxes to pay their salaries, even with the need to address this blight so obvious, the city will continue to have this black eye at one of our important gateways because the Mayor cannot figure out how to work with relocating one complex. He can figure out how to house 200,000 people from the next state in a few days, but this challenge is way too much for him.

Maybe I am wrong but I think if that situation existed in another area, such as the Heights, I cannot imagine the Mayor telling the Heights Association that they were not entitled to the basic city service of code enforcement, which is what code enforcement is, a basic city service, and getting away with it.

I know there were at least two other HAIF'ers there, Stolitx and mdadm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are quite a few things this administration isn't enforcing. I laugh at the civiliity ordinance that is supposed to keep homeless out of downtown, midtown, hyde park etc. there is no enforcement. instead now homeless are everywhere, not just downtown. neighborhood protection ordinances, which is what that vietnamese place should fall under, are not being enforced. I know many neighborhoods complain about deed restricitons not being enforced by the city. there are 3 attornies that the city has to enforce for the entire city! hard to get anything done. in the 80's the city had a complete file of which neighborhoods are restricted so that the permit dept wouldn't issue permits unless neighborhoods approved that the plans weren't in violation of deed rstrictions. Now when you get a permit, the permit department does no check. the neighborhoods have to find the violations after the builder starts work. they cater to the builders not the neighborhoods.

since your councilmember is an ally with the mayor, i doubt anything will change with her. other councilmembers are more likely to push the system.

what makes the violation you're talking about bad. the city's MO with this is to reassign the officer that was working the violation. therefore the new officer has to start over and nothing ever gets done. this is happening all over the city.

I pressed the Mayor about the Vietnamese complex around Broadway & Bellfort. You all have seen it. The balconies falling down, sagging roofs, the make-shift signs and businesses that have opened up on the ground floor, the boarded up windows, etc., etc. It is horrible. In a nut shell, the Mayor admitted the building was completely out of compliance with the building and safety codes, that he had Engineers that had looked at it but basically the building was too far gone to ever be brought up to code, that it is in fact dangerous, and that they were not enforcing the building codes on it.

not disagreeing with the issue, but part of the problem for the city may be that there is not one owner of the complex to deal with.

aren't all the vietnamese villages (on broadway and on park place) individually owned condo units?

not disagreeing with the issue, but part of the problem for the city may be that there is not one owner of the complex to deal with.

aren't all the vietnamese villages (on broadway and on park place) individually owned condo units?

i believe that is correct. but code enforcement is still the issue. it just takes work on the part of the city

With dozens of city department heads there, he basically refused to enforce the codes that apply to all of us, because he did not want to have those residents displaced and "scattered" and the residents there from Glenbrook had not told him what to do with the people that lived there. Um...okay. If I do something that is out of code with my property, are you going to let me slide? Or do I have to be Vietnamese for that to happen? So sorry, folks, even with dozens of department heads there that we all pay taxes to pay their salaries, even with the need to address this blight so obvious, the city will continue to have this black eye at one of our important gateways because the Mayor cannot figure out how to work with relocating one complex. He can figure out how to house 200,000 people from the next state in a few days, but this challenge is way too much for him.

Maybe I am wrong but I think if that situation existed in another area, such as the Heights, I cannot imagine the Mayor telling the Heights Association that they were not entitled to the basic city service of code enforcement, which is what code enforcement is, a basic city service, and getting away with it.

I know there were at least two other HAIF'ers there, Stolitx and mdadm.

White needs to realize that he is frustrating the grass-root citizen groups around town that are the few actively trying to improve the city, and who act as the City's watchdogs. When you can't get backing from the mayor, the fabric of these groups starts to fray as it all begins to seems futile.

There are buildings around town that are far older that get up to code somehow, why not this one? Because the owners can't afford it? Well, welcome to America. I appreciate his humanitarian sentiments and honesty admiting his lack of a solution but......is White another Jimmy Carter, indecisive? If in doubt he should just go with the law and let the owners of the condos figure out a solution.

Work they are unwilling to perform to better the city.

As the units are condos you would think the city would approach it like this.....bringing them up to code will only improve their value and most owners should probably agree. the upgrades would help THEM.

from a neighborhood perspective, the mayor has done nothing to help neighborhoods improve or even show support. main thing i can see the city does well is garbage pick up.

Edited by musicman

If in doubt he should just go with the law and let the owners of the condos figure out a solution.

The Mayor acted like it was up to us to find a solution, or how could we hold him accountable for the lack of enforcement? Honestly, did we expect him to do anything about it when we hadn't given him a specific plan on how/where to relocate the current residents? He had dozens of department heads right there, but he wasn't asking them for a plan, he was asking me. (Excuse me I'm not Mayor, but I have a plan, see Danax's comments above).

It was ridiculous.

Edited by rps324

The Mayor acted like it was up to us to find a solution, or how could we hold him accountable for the lack of enforcement? Honestly, did we expect him to do anything about it when we hadn't given him a specific plan on how/where to relocate the current residents? He had dozens of department heads right there, but he wasn't asking them for a plan, he was asking me. (Excuse me I'm not Mayor, but I have a plan, see Danax's comments above).

It was ridiculous.

remember this in november for election time.

RPS,

I can't quite place the unit/building your talking about. Could you post a picture perhaps? I do know your pain though I swear that Broadmoor may have the worst sidewalks in all of Houston. If you were dependent upon a wheelchair you would be using the road and not the sidewalk as it is completely missing in areas, all cracked up, etc... I'm going to create a new post on these sidewalks so I don't distract from this important thread.

Scharpe St Guy

Nothing will change as long as Houston continues to elect Democratic mayors.

Does anyone really expect a Dem to be tough on the poor folk?

Not necessarily true. This issue has been brought up to all the past mayors for ages. Mayor White is just the latest to not do anything. They all hand it off.

They've already started shooting off fireworks tonight for Chinese New Year. "NO Fireworks in the city limits" is another city law that doesn't seem to apply to them. Tomorrow night will be a freakin' nightmare, the noise will be obnoxious, the smoke will be thick enough to literally block cars from driving down Broadway, police will be called, no one will make them stop the damn fireworks all night long. However I'm sure if my neighbors reported me shooting off fireworks, the cops would show up to my house, confiscate the fireworks, and issue me a ticket. I'll try it on 4th of July this year.

Sadly more children will have to die in a fire. Still then, nothing will be done.

on a side note, rps was outstanding at the meeting! Particularly when he brought up that we were able to quickly take in the Katrina evacuees but somehow don't know what to do with the relative handful of people that would be forced to move if the building can't be brought to code.

Not necessarily true. This issue has been brought up to all the past mayors for ages. Mayor White is just the latest to not do anything. They all hand it off.

They've already started shooting off fireworks tonight for Chinese New Year. "NO Fireworks in the city limits" is another city law that doesn't seem to apply to them. Tomorrow night will be a freakin' nightmare, the noise will be obnoxious, the smoke will be thick enough to literally block cars from driving down Broadway, police will be called, no one will make them stop the damn fireworks all night long. However I'm sure if my neighbors reported me shooting off fireworks, the cops would show up to my house, confiscate the fireworks, and issue me a ticket. I'll try it on 4th of July this year.

Sadly more children will have to die in a fire. Still then, nothing will be done.

on a side note, rps was outstanding at the meeting! Particularly when he brought up that we were able to quickly take in the Katrina evacuees but somehow don't know what to do with the relative handful of people that would be forced to move if the building can't be brought to code.

their priorities are screwed up. it just seems that the day to day things the citizens care about the most are not being taken care of but the city can spend millions to build a park downtown.

look on the positive side about the firewrks, maybe the fire will burn a few of the units so things won't be as bad ;) at least one of the front units burned yrs ago and it was demolished.

As for the Katrina comment, that seems to be a popular sentiment in other areas too! someone asked whether the SRO/low income/etc housing was for katrina evacuees for when the federal funds get pulled. of course there was no response. it makes you wonder.

Edited by musicman

there are quite a few things this administration isn't enforcing. I laugh at the civiliity ordinance that is supposed to keep homeless out of downtown, midtown, hyde park etc. there is no enforcement. instead now homeless are everywhere, not just downtown. neighborhood protection ordinances, which is what that vietnamese place should fall under, are not being enforced. I know many neighborhoods complain about deed restricitons not being enforced by the city. there are 3 attornies that the city has to enforce for the entire city! hard to get anything done. in the 80's the city had a complete file of which neighborhoods are restricted so that the permit dept wouldn't issue permits unless neighborhoods approved that the plans weren't in violation of deed rstrictions. Now when you get a permit, the permit department does no check. the neighborhoods have to find the violations after the builder starts work. they cater to the builders not the neighborhoods.

since your councilmember is an ally with the mayor, i doubt anything will change with her. other councilmembers are more likely to push the system.

what makes the violation you're talking about bad. the city's MO with this is to reassign the officer that was working the violation. therefore the new officer has to start over and nothing ever gets done. this is happening all over the city.

Musicman, I agree with you, the neighborhood protection ordinance in Houston is not working. I am a city councilman in a small Galveston County community, and deed restrictions are not enfoced by the city, our attorney has told us so. Deed restrictions are private covenants that are attached to private property. The property owners, civic clubs, and neighborhood maintenace organizations and such are the enforcers. Our city council just recently adopted a zoning ordinance and it has been difficult to enforce. We had to hire a code enfocement officer that does nothing but that. You are correct in saying that the city caters to the builders. There always seems to be some slick yahoo trying to get his thing approved without going through the system. They assume the rules are for everybody else (you and me).

Mayor White had a sort of "Town Hall" meeting in Glenbrook this week. He came to discuss the different topics, primarily plans for the improvement of Broadway Boulevard.

Personally I think Broadway Boulevard's improvement is an important issue for the whole city, not just the immediate area. It is a gateway for people coming in & out of Hobby Airport. Broadway makes a lousy first impression of our city for business travelers who might be considering moving to Houston or opening an office here, etc. Even for friends or relatives coming in from out of town, it is a black eye for the city to have that blight be the first thing they see.

Mayor White has targeted the Hobby Area (mainly Broadway) for his "Affordable Rental Housing" program, which is part of the City's Housing and Community Development Department. I'm guessing that either Donald Sampley or someone else from that department was at that meeting.

The Hobby Area is an official target zone (see link to map in the middle of the page). The program offers 0% loans for rehabbing of older complexes. So, any thoughts of seeing these aging complexes getting bulldozed and redeveloped into something more uplifting as the area improves are in direct conflict with the City's plans to remodel them and therefore increase their lifespan. Fondren is the other target area, the areas being selected on criteria partially based on existing density of multi-family housing.

I read through the guidelines and it looks like it's just for rehabbing existing units, and not for construction of new units. So the ghettoes will only be perpetuated artificially, not expanded, hopefully.

Musicman, I agree with you, the neighborhood protection ordinance in Houston is not working. I am a city councilman in a small Galveston County community, and deed restrictions are not enfoced by the city, our attorney has told us so. Deed restrictions are private covenants that are attached to private property. The property owners, civic clubs, and neighborhood maintenace organizations and such are the enforcers. Our city council just recently adopted a zoning ordinance and it has been difficult to enforce. We had to hire a code enfocement officer that does nothing but that. You are correct in saying that the city caters to the builders. There always seems to be some slick yahoo trying to get his thing approved without going through the system. They assume the rules are for everybody else (you and me).

You know, I was wondering why in the world so many people on this topic are complaining about this. Can you be surprised by the mayor's comments? The mayor represents the will of the people of Houston, IMO (ideally). The will of the people of Houston has been overwhelmingly "Don't tell me what to do with my property, period." Why should this be different? I can't stand run-down eyesores as much as you all, but let's face it--they go on in Houston b/c they really aren't much of a priority. For example, I rarely hear about homes or buildings or properties being condemned or demolished here as a result of nuisance/code violations/etc.

The other thing is this--plumber2 hit the nail on the head regarding deed restrictions. Isn't the point of deed restrictions to give nearly all power to the property owners? If this is the case, then I think the City SHOULD stay out of this. Houstonians have made it clear, the city's power ends at the property line. We are all about PERSONAL and PRIVATE rights and responsibilities. It's the neighborhood's responsibilities to fix problems (if they are deed restricted).

With that in mind, I agree that something should be done. I just think that in the Houston persona, we are kidding ourselves to suddenly expect government to do something about it for us when we don't want them doing anything else. In that case, I agree with the mayor. If your neighborhood is deed restricted, YOU come up with a solution. YOU fix the problem.

The irony is that if if this battle (and others like it) ends up in court and the issue has existed long enough without enforcement by the members of the neighborhood, then the deed restrictions could be overturned all together (laches). Then you have NO enforcement tool.

Edited by GovernorAggie

You know, I was wondering why in the world so many people on this topic are complaining about this. Can you be surprised by the mayor's comments? The mayor represents the will of the people of Houston, IMO (ideally). The will of the people of Houston has been overwhelmingly "Don't tell me what to do with my property, period." Why should this be different? I can't stand run-down eyesores as much as you all, but let's face it--they go on in Houston b/c they really aren't much of a priority. For example, I rarely hear about homes or buildings or properties being condemned or demolished here as a result of nuisance/code violations/etc.

The other thing is this--plumber2 hit the nail on the head regarding deed restrictions. Isn't the point of deed restrictions to give nearly all power to the property owners? If this is the case, then I think the City SHOULD stay out of this. Houstonians have made it clear, the city's power ends at the property line. We are all about PERSONAL and PRIVATE rights and responsibilities. It's the neighborhood's responsibilities to fix problems (if they are deed restricted).

With that in mind, I agree that something should be done. I just think that in the Houston persona, we are kidding ourselves to suddenly expect government to do something about it for us when we don't want them doing anything else. In that case, I agree with the mayor. If your neighborhood is deed restricted, YOU come up with a solution. YOU fix the problem.

The irony is that if if this battle (and others like it) ends up in court and the issue has existed long enough without enforcement by the members of the neighborhood, then the deed restrictions could be overturned all together (laches). Then you have NO enforcement tool.

What are you talking about? Who said anything about this being a deed-restriction issue? The mess on Broadway doesn't have deed restrictions. Your comments are not applicable to this situation.

What this issue is about is building code enforcement. That is a dangerous complex as well as an eyesore. They are absolutely getting away with issues that others haven't. Besides, this is a gateway to Houston. It is not just an issue for the immediate area. The city deserves to have these issues addressed.

If governmental entities are going to take 7 or 8 digits worth of public money to improve private property along Broadway Boulevard, then the public needs to have a voice in how that money is spent.

Edited by rps324

Musicman, I agree with you, the neighborhood protection ordinance in Houston is not working. I am a city councilman in a small Galveston County community, and deed restrictions are not enfoced by the city, our attorney has told us so. Deed restrictions are private covenants that are attached to private property. The property owners, civic clubs, and neighborhood maintenace organizations and such are the enforcers.

The legislature passed some law a few decades back allowing the city of Houston to enforce deed restrictions (private covenants). AFAIK, no other city in Texas can do this....only Houston. The city can and does enforce deed restrictions...its the closest thing we have to zoning. You can see what violations have been reported to the city here: http://cbtcws.cityofhouston.gov/deedrest/

The legislature passed some law a few decades back allowing the city of Houston to enforce deed restrictions (private covenants). AFAIK, no other city in Texas can do this....only Houston. The city can and does enforce deed restrictions...its the closest thing we have to zoning. You can see what violations have been reported to the city here: http://cbtcws.cityofhouston.gov/deedrest/

i think the law you're referencing may be chapter 204 of the state property code which is only applicable to houston. Since we are the only big city without zoning, this was developed to supposedly assist houston. there's also chapter 201 which is applicable statewide (specific limitations are found there). I was on a deed restriction committee for 2 councilmembers here to help the councilmembers understand what is/isn't being done by the legal dept deed restriction wise. i remember a deed restriction attorney mentioned that dallas has about 20 attorneys employeed by the city who enforce restrictions while the city of houston only had 3. i'm pretty sure we're not the only city in texas whose legal dept enforces restricitons.

Edited by musicman

If fireworks are part of an organized celebration, I believe they are allowed. If it's a random guy who wants to fire a firework, then it's not allowed.

all property in texas is governed by the state property code which states how property can be restricted. it is up to the individual neighborhoods to make that decision. it also says how they can be enforced which is where private attorneys and attorneys employed by various cites come in. they can enforce restrictions as can the individual. but most individuals don't have the money and let some other entity with money do it.

The city's power doesn't end at the property line. i've seen neighborhood protection people go on private property with police escort to give tickets. remember once you buy in the city of houston you are now subject to various ordinances as a result and these are enforceable by the city.

Yes the quickest was is to get the hoods to enforce their own restrictions but many old neighborhoods don't have mandatory fees to hire an attorney and state law says that cities can do it for them.

what makes it hard is that houston has so few deed restriction attorneys with thousands of complaints. they just cant keep up with the workload.

If fireworks are part of an organized celebration, I believe they are allowed. If it's a random guy who wants to fire a firework, then it's not allowed.

permits are required.

What are you talking about? Who said anything about this being a deed-restriction issue? The mess on Broadway doesn't have deed restrictions. Your comments are not applicable to this situation.

What this issue is about is building code enforcement. That is a dangerous complex as well as an eyesore. They are absolutely getting away with issues that others haven't. Besides, this is a gateway to Houston. It is not just an issue for the immediate area. The city deserves to have these issues addressed.

If governmental entities are going to take 7 or 8 digits worth of public money to improve private property along Broadway Boulevard, then the public needs to have a voice in how that money is spent.

My apologies. I was under the assumption that the area was covered by deed restrictions--which I think a lot of people might assume who aren't familiar with the area as much.

Agreed on the gateway issue, and if the property is more unsafe than eyesore, then I can see something being done about it.

Also didn't know about the law allowing the city to enforce deed restrictions.

Lastly, Musicman, regarding the number of deed restriction cases that the attorneys have to handle, any idea on how many of those are serious violations of deed restrictions? Those that could compromise or undermine a neighborhood (and not something as simple as say, cars parked on a lawn or grass that gets mowed every month instead of every 2 weeks).

Lastly, Musicman, regarding the number of deed restriction cases that the attorneys have to handle, any idea on how many of those are serious violations of deed restrictions? Those that could compromise or undermine a neighborhood (and not something as simple as say, cars parked on a lawn or grass that gets mowed every month instead of every 2 weeks).

the city only enforces major things.....setbacks, keeping businesses out, keeping commercial trucks (dump trucks, buses, etc) from parking on restricted property.

they don't enforce cars parked on lawns and how often grass gets cut.

I know that there is a move for the city to add to their list more aesthetic things like building materials (brick vs. siding, etc) per two councilmembers i spoke with. personally if they just did their job on the setbacks and keeping it a residential hood i'd be happy.

i think the law you're referencing may be chapter 204 of the state property code which is only applicable to houston. Since we are the only big city without zoning, this was developed to supposedly assist houston. there's also chapter 201 which is applicable statewide (specific limitations are found there). I was on a deed restriction committee for 2 councilmembers here to help the councilmembers understand what is/isn't being done by the legal dept deed restriction wise. i remember a deed restriction attorney mentioned that dallas has about 20 attorneys employeed by the city who enforce restrictions while the city of houston only had 3. i'm pretty sure we're not the only city in texas whose legal dept enforces restricitons.

Exactly why the neighborhoods (any of them) have trouble getting the city to back the neighborhoods in their fight on deed restriction violations. 3 attorneys can't handle the work load for a city as large as Houston.

But like mentioned this specific property isn't part of a deed restriction, it's the city's building codes that aren't being enforced. We'll have to get pictures to post. I know the civic club has some because we gave them to the mayor.

As for the fireworks, there is no permit issued to them. But every year they shoot them off. And I don't mean a few here and there like we might all hear on the 4th. I mean enough that smoke billows onto Broadway. smoke thick enough that literally people can't see to drive through it. Like the heavy fog that rolls in through San Fran if you've ever been there for that. I've never seen or heard anything like it. Next year I will invite you over to my house to experience it.

Exactly why the neighborhoods (any of them) have trouble getting the city to back the neighborhoods in their fight on deed restriction violations. 3 attorneys can't handle the work load for a city as large as Houston.

But like mentioned this specific property isn't part of a deed restriction, it's the city's building codes that aren't being enforced. We'll have to get pictures to post. I know the civic club has some because we gave them to the mayor.

As for the fireworks, there is no permit issued to them. But every year they shoot them off. And I don't mean a few here and there like we might all hear on the 4th. I mean enough that smoke billows onto Broadway. smoke thick enough that literally people can't see to drive through it. Like the heavy fog that rolls in through San Fran if you've ever been there for that. I've never seen or heard anything like it. Next year I will invite you over to my house to experience it.

i agree with you stolix, i never said it was a deed restriction issue. The building codes aren't being enforced and many other things that the neighborhoods care about. I've grown up on the se side and have seen the good and the bad. it is my home. post some pics so that the others will realize how the mayor is screwing that area. I think most people in houston would be surprised of their bad condition.

the fireworks issue is just another thing that isn't being enforced by the city.

Edited by musicman