Houston and MCM furniture

Jersey01

I'm sure many of you might have seen the new place on Westheimer called "Cool Stuff" among all of the antique places. I had the chance to stop by yesterday and I have to say they do indeed have cool stuff. They had a really great sputnik chandelier and a Gerrit Reitveld chair. It is unfortunate that these places have not really caught on, Mid Century Modern (next to American Apparel) is now gone.

I'm sure many of you might have seen the new place on Westheimer called "Cool Stuff" among all of the antique places. I had the chance to stop by yesterday and I have to say they do indeed have cool stuff. They had a really great sputnik chandelier and a Gerrit Reitveld chair. It is unfortunate that these places have not really caught on, Mid Century Modern (next to American Apparel) is now gone.

How are the prices? Outrageous?

http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/cgi-bin/

i think this is what you're talking about.

We accidentally stumbled across their warehouse a few months ago. You are driving down a totally non-descript street in Pasadena and out of nowhere is a building with a de stilj motif on the side of it and a parking lot full of random office chairs out front. Inside is absolutely the most amazing thing you'll ever see. The kid in a candy store metaphor does this place no justice. It's floor to ceiling of just awesome pieces, none of which we can really afford. My wife and I still are unable to figure out how they have accumulated such a quantity of stuff being located in Pasadena. I don't think that they are really "open" to the public but we just pulled up and asked nicely if we could just take a walk around and they were friendly. There is that other thread about the best mod sites in Houston, and in a weird kind of museum-warehouse-shopping way it would actually rank as one of the best things I've seen here.

they are open to the public, and buy and sell in bulk...thats why all those bulk shipping containers are out there, and they have multiples of so many items. They are expensive to me, but someone is buying it. Why not PSD..its cheap office space...like a central whse so they can have a small storefront.

that's why mid century modern didn't make it.

MidCentury Modern has relocated to the space formerly occupied by Mid>Century Pavilion.

Unfortunately they still will not have much parking.

MidCentury Modern Showroom

2215 Washington Ave.

Houston, Texas 77007

713-521-3030

MidCentury Modern has relocated to the space formerly occupied by Mid>Century Pavilion.

Unfortunately they still will not have much parking.

I had heard the rent on Washington was high too but hopefully less that westheimer. the last time i was at mid Century pavilion (last yr), they had a sign out trying to sublet space. i think washington is a better location due to easier access. as for no parking lot, i just parked in front on washington.

There are several stores on Milam including Retropolitan, Lackey Prince, MetroModern, The Mod Pod, and the one with all the lamps.

Travis at MetroModern is my main dealer (furniture sounds like a drug almost). He would probably be able to tell you the last time anyone in Houston had a Poul Kjaerholm piece. Maybe there will be some at the Lawndale show later in the Spring.

I am currently longing for some LCWs or DCWs in excellent condition...

Jason

Jason

There's an excellent MCM furniture store on Milam a block north of Mais (can't remember the name). The owners seem to know their stuff and care about what they are selling.

Archived