Free XM radios (2)

editor

Some of you may have heard that XM Satellite Radio and Air Tran are doing a promotion this Christmas -- on randomly selected flights everyone gets a free XM satellite radio. It turns out if you're in business class, you get two.

So I got two. Well, not really. I got two certificates for free XM radios.

Here's the deal - You have to call XM and sign up with the code on this certificate and they'll send you an XM radio. The one pictured on the certificate is the Roady XT:

B000AUQICO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57151911_.jpg

What's the catch? Well, you have to pay for the first three months of service up front, and stay connected for six months. I think XM is $12.95/month, so that's $38.85 up front, and then another $38.85 every three months after that. I don't know if there are any "activation" fees or not. It's not mentioned specifically on the certificates.

Anyway, if you've been curious about satellite radio this could be a way to try it out cheap. The radio, itself, sells for $57.33 at Amazon.com. Over six months, you're paying $77.70. So it's like paying $20 for the radio and getting the service for free. Or paying for the service and getting the radio for free. However you want to see the world.

So, why don't I get the radio myself? Because I'm already a very happy Sirius customer, and having two satellite radios is overkill at a time when I'm trying to cut expenses. But in spite of the decade I spent working in trerrestrial radio I've become a big satellite fan and want to share that with others, whether it be Sirius or XM.

Anyway, the certificates expire December 31st, so if you want I can scan them and e-mail them to you if you don't want to wait for postal mail.

And one more thing -- it's first-come, first claimed. But just to be fair -- one certificate per person.

Not a Howard Fan, but love my XM, have it in 4 of the cars, the boat, on my scooter and in the shop. Haven't listened to FM in 4 years. Don't miss it either. What I love is I can leave here and drive to Wyoming and not have to search for something to listen to. Also up in Wyoming the FM choices are next to nothing, one radio station in Jackson's Hole and it sucks.

Me too. Tell me your'e a Howard fan.

People don't know, once you hear satellite radio you never go back to terrestrial.

Sorry, no. I went satellite for classical, and stayed for new age. I've been with Sirius since it started up because at the time I lived in a city where there the local classical station was only part-time and did a really poor job of music selection (Hint: 1812 Overture is not a good tune at 4am.)

These days I'm hooked on Sirius Classical Christmas, Spa73, and Chill. Though occasionally I go to BBC Radio One or one of the CBC Radio channels to hear what's new in music.

Sorry, no. I went satellite for classical, and stayed for new age. I've been with Sirius since it started up because at the time I lived in a city where there the local classical station was only part-time and did a really poor job of music selection (Hint: 1812 Overture is not a good tune at 4am.)

These days I'm hooked on Sirius Classical Christmas, Spa73, and Chill. Though occasionally I go to BBC Radio One or one of the CBC Radio channels to hear what's new in music.

Does anyone know if there is a website that would show the channel listings for XM vs Sirius? I've thought about delving into satellite radio, but not sure how each compare. And before someone asks, I'm not a Howard fan so he's a non factor for my choice.

Archived