Your Game Console of Choice

Next Generation Game Systems  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you support/own?

• Microsoft - Xbox 360/Xbox
    • Sony - PlayStation 3/PlayStation 2/PlayStation Portable
    • Nintendo - Wii/Gamecube/DS

They discontinued the $500 20GB, and now they're discontinuing the $500 60GB. Looks like the losses they're taking at $500 just aren't feasable, so they're planning on making everyone buy the $600 80GB w/Motorstorm after the 60GB stock sells out, which they say will be during this month thanks to the "price reduction." Maybe they have no choice, but either way it's a horrible move. Just when things were looking bright for Sony, too!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They discontinued the $500 20GB, and now they're discontinuing the $500 60GB. Looks like the losses they're taking at $500 just aren't feasable, so they're planning on making everyone buy the $600 80GB w/Motorstorm after the 60GB stock sells out, which they say will be during this month thanks to the "price reduction." Maybe they have no choice, but either way it's a horrible move. Just when things were looking bright for Sony, too!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Well, I am happy and pissed.

I am happy that FINALLY, we will have just one SKU, and not 3 (soon to be 4 for Xbox 360), so at least you will have an easier decision. Also, you are getting more bang for you buck.

Too bad that it comes at a cost to the customers still who want the cheaper 60 GB one.

Well, we have this from one Sony rep in Europe about the US phasing out of the 60 GB model.

Once that product is gone from the retailer's shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only," said Hirai. "It's not like we have a two price strategy here in the US market. We found out very early on that consumers react mostly to having one SKU as opposed to two."

Then we have this from the Sony rep in America.

"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

I wish they would be more clear, which is the truth, the foreseeable future is two weeks, or years?

Sony is full of lies. The 360 isn't getting four though. That Halo edition is just for a short time. The Core will phase out soon, and the Premium and Elite will be the one's left. YOu should think of that Halo edition as one of those Gameboys that came in different colors.

Sony is full of lies. The 360 isn't getting four though. That Halo edition is just for a short time. The Core will phase out soon, and the Premium and Elite will be the one's left. YOu should think of that Halo edition as one of those Gameboys that came in different colors.

Well, the Halo Edition is a hybrid of the Premium (laughs at the name now) and the Elite. It has the Premium's hard drive (20 GB), but shares the Elite's HDMI port. It also has a play and charge kit, or what I like to call, a very expensive wired controller ($49 wireless controller + $19 for play and charge kit, versus $39 for a simple wired one)

If is a different SKU, temporary or not, it will be launched at a time when there are 3 other SKU's.

60gbdodo.jpg

I like the use of the Dodo bird, those crazy techies!

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-51746.aspx

"A major Canadian retailer has confirmed that the Xbox 360 is set to receice an Official $100 price drop across all Skus as of August 1st. That will mean that the Xbox 360 core will retail for $199 (with a pack in memory unit) and be even cheaper than the Wii at $249 USD."

Core=$200

Premium=$300

Elite=$400

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-51746.aspx

"A major Canadian retailer has confirmed that the Xbox 360 is set to receice an Official $100 price drop across all Skus as of August 1st. That will mean that the Xbox 360 core will retail for $199 (with a pack in memory unit) and be even cheaper than the Wii at $249 USD."

Core=$200

Premium=$300

Elite=$400

Holy $#!+

A $199 Core, that is cheap, gosh I hope the 80 GB units drops really fast $399 maybe???

Ha! Like the 80GB will drop that fast. Sony is already losing a ____ load of money now, they can't afford to drop the price. Why do you think the 60 GB will be phased out, and one SKU will be there at $599? Sony can't just add on more hard drive and expect people to buy it.

Ha! Like the 80GB will drop that fast. Sony is already losing a ____ load of money now, they can't afford to drop the price. Why do you think the 60 GB will be phased out, and one SKU will be there at $599? Sony can't just add on more hard drive and expect people to buy it.

The general consensus is that the 80 GB bundle is also temporary and that a stand alone version (with Rumblaxis!) will be priced at $499 before the holidays.

I think Capcom is right with their guess of another price drop for the PS3 this year. . . we are going to be at $499 AGAIN! :lol:

Nah, the 80 GB won't be temporary. The 60 GB is going away once the stock runs out. They aren't producing anymore 60 GB.

Nope, I agree, the 80 GB model is here to stay, but the bundle with MotorStorm, that will go away in a few months.

Here is a great post on 60 GB phase out.

The title cracks me up, because it is so true, the pricing this week on the PS3 confused everyone, is it a clearance sale, are we still going to have (2) SKU's, will $599 base price return?

I have a question whats the does the Dodo bird at the lower right hand corner of the box stand for?

The artist at Gizmodo photoshopped it in, just a tease.

BTW, I have not seen any viable blogs or news sites pick up that Xbox 360 price drop, I guess this falls into the wild rumor catergory.

No one is publicizing that.

One more question, does the plastic track that the laser reader is connected to were out fast like the PS1 did?

I can't answer for the PS1 to compare to a fairly new PS3 (it's only been like 8 months)

I have owned a PS2 almost since its inception in 2000, and still use the same one. The laser works fine and I use it for games still.

Guest Marty
I have owned a PS2 almost since its inception in 2000, and still use the same one

That's about 3-4 years longer life than i was thinking about they must have improved it since then. I remember you had to turn the PS1 on its side or upside down to get it to play games.

It is a cheap blu-ray player, but that is it. I would rather by a 360 and the HD-DVD add-on. Comes out to being the same price AND the 360 has better games (I am sure Pumapayam knows this ;) ).

It is a cheap blu-ray player, but that is it. I would rather by a 360 and the HD-DVD add-on. Comes out to being the same price AND the 360 has better games (I am sure Pumapayam knows this ;) ).

Xbox 360 has a year head start, of course it has better games and more of them.

Please, need we go into the HD-DVD is going the way of the dinosaurs! The future is Blu ray.

And again, why would you want a game system based on DVD's and not the higher capacity Blu ray?

Also, the Xbox Core (The one without the HDD), obligates all game developers to take the lack of the HDD into consideration.

All iterations of the PS3 have HDD's to use, which means faster load times, and more episodic content in the future.

You can only put so much stuff on a 64 MB/512 MB cards that MS provides for sale, as I am sure not everyone is going to spend $99 or $179 on a PROPRIETARY HDD from MS. At least Sony lets you pop in any old standard PC HDD to upgrade it.

Xbox 360 will get short changed again, just like the original Xbox (RIP 2001-2005)

PS2 is still going strong (The 2nd best selling system behind Wii and ahead of 3rd, Xbox 360).

Anyways, I am off my soap box. :lol:

What's the line on the PS4?

Smells like they are already working on this. The price cuts are part of their disaster recovery plan.

PS3 is being planned for a 10 year life span.

These price cuts, as many have mentioned, are temporary, and just a vehicle to clear out the now old 60 GB model off the shelves to make room for the 80 GB version.

The PS3 still has slower load times because the Blu-Ray drive are slow. The DVD drives are fast. And nope, this Xbox 360 will be around for a while longer. As for sales, let's not start with the PS3. :lol:

The PS3 still has slower load times because the Blu-Ray drive are slow. The DVD drives are fast. And nope, this Xbox 360 will be around for a while longer. As for sales, let's not start with the PS3. :lol:

Well, that is an unfair comparision. :P DVD drives have been around for a LONG time so they have 16X drives or something now, (I forget); and I think Blu ray is only at 2X on the PS3.

But remember, with the HDD standard across all models of the PS3, developers can make it load faster but embedded all the start up files on the HDD, so after the first "slow" load time, each time after that can be just as fast, and likely better.

That's cheap. The 360 is still better!

Only problem with the 360 is if you barely touch it, it chews up the disc. I made that mistake a few months ago trying to clean up the gameroom. The boys have both the 360 and PS2 and only play them on rainy days, and still act like its torture to have to play either. Hubby on the other hand is addicted to this War Of the Worlds thing. :wacko:

Well, that is an unfair comparision. :P DVD drives have been around for a LONG time so they have 16X drives or something now, (I forget); and I think Blu ray is only at 2X on the PS3.

But remember, with the HDD standard across all models of the PS3, developers can make it load faster but embedded all the start up files on the HDD, so after the first "slow" load time, each time after that can be just as fast, and likely better.

Well, game websites have compared load times in between both systems, and there isn't much of a difference. The 2X Blu-Ray drive is what slows the PS3 down, despite its hard drive. MS played it safe this time. They'll wait until the next gaming cycle to decide to either put in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray into their systems. Right now, Blu-Ray is losing steam. Disney just offered all of their movies, for download, over Xbox Live. Disney use to be all the way, blu-ray.

Only problem with the 360 is if you barely touch it, it chews up the disc. I made that mistake a few months ago trying to clean up the gameroom. The boys have both the 360 and PS2 and only play them on rainy days, and still act like its torture to have to play either. Hubby on the other hand is addicted to this War Of the Worlds thing. :wacko:

It only scratches if the 360 is on and the disk is inside. It isn't the only system where that happens though. I have the pleasure of having the 360 in my room, so I don't have to worry about anyone coming in and messing with it.

Right now, Blu-Ray is losing steam. Disney just offered all of their movies, for download, over Xbox Live. Disney use to be all the way, blu-ray.

A download for an HD DVD supporter is not the same as releasing the movie on an HD DVD disk.

If you want an HD Disney movie on a disk, it will ONLY be on Blu ray, not HD DVD.

Disney movies are all over iTunes, Amazon, and Netflix downloads.

A download for an HD DVD supporter is not the same as releasing the movie on an HD DVD disk.

If you want an HD Disney movie on a disk, it will ONLY be on Blu ray, not HD DVD.

Disney movies are all over iTunes, Amazon, and Netflix downloads.

The only way another "disc" product would make it, is if they made the disc BULLET PROOF. Even though tapes were a pain to fast forward and rewind, they basically lasted forever. Kids and CD's are a nightmare. They scratch and the movie is done for. We even bought the scratch remover deal, but it often won't help. And even though we harp on the boys to "PUT YOUR MOVIES AWAY!!" , they are often left out, stacked or under the machine.

Archived