Favorite Freeway (or Tollway)

Which Freeway (or Tollway) Is Your Favorite?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which Freeway (or Tollway) Is Your Favorite?

• I-10 East "Baytown Freeway'
    • I-10 West "Katy Freeway"
    • I-45 North "North Freeway"
    • I-45 South "Gulf Freeway"
    • I-45 Inner Loop "Pierce Elevated"
    • US-59 North "East-Tex Freeway"
    • US-59 South "Southwest Freeway"
    • US-288 "South Freeway"
    • US-290 "Northwest Freeway"
    • I-610 North "North Loop"
    • I-610 South "South Loop"
    • I-610 East "East Loop"
    • I-610 West "West Loop"
    • Beltway 8 - North (of I-10) "Sam Houston Parkway"
    • Beltway 8 - South (of I-10) "Sam Houston Parkway"
    • Hardy Toll Road
    • Westpark Toll Road
    • Fort Bend Toll Road
    • SH-249 Tomball Parkway
    • US-90 East "Crosby Freeway"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like 288, because most of it is undeveloped (south of 610) and the view of the skyline is UBER! The median is nice, too.

In the news, they said that they want to expand 288 to 10 main lanes, with a tollway down the middle.

Yes this an unusual question. It's not like we often have a choice of which freeway to use or enjoy like we do with restaurants, tv shows, buildings, etc..

Anyway here are some of my favorites...

I concur with the Hardy north of BW8. With the trees, curves and lack of service roads and billboards it's like a parkway.

249 is kind of cool with the modern design, rolling terrain, and trees. It's kind of like the city meets the country. I'll bet folks up there can't wait for the direct connectors to BW8.

You didn't list the Grand Parkway but the stretch between FM1093 and just south of I10 is very nice. There are three overpasses with exits and they're building a couple more. And trees but no service roads or billboards.

Another you didn't list is Memorial Parkway near Downtown but it's a freeway and an obvious choice.

And of course the new Heights Toll Road will be beautiful. Those little gingerbread houses will be shaking as we roar right past them!

Well....they tore out my favorite stretch of freeway....US-59...I believe it was the stretch just east of downtown...I'm not sure exactly where along 59 because back in the day when it was still around I hadn't yet moved here, and didn't pay the exact location much attention. It was at grade, and there was a whole mess of overpasses and such overhead....it was like driving through the bowels of the city....the support columns for the various overpasses were all over the place, and the overpasses were pretty low...gave kinda a cozy feeling.

I don't have a new favorite stretch of freeway....unless the Allen Parkway qualifies.

Hardy Autobahn got my vote. When I lived on 1960 for a couple of years it enabled me to get into town & back easily, even at peak traffic times. Plus, I don't think I ever drove less than 85 on it, never got a ticket. Rarely passed anybody either, they don't call it the Hardy Autobahn for nothing!

I'd be inclined to agree with you, however, it just seems to me that the proper question should have been "what is your favorite scene route.

in my case it's Allen Parkway, I-45 heading south towards downtown and the pierce elevated.

Ricco

I 45 N for a few reasons:

First, heading south out of the woodlands crossing the first bridge in spring You can see the tops of the chase tower and wells fargo building. It must be an absolute clear day and you must really be looking for them. And I know it is not greens point because they are smaller and off to the side. i woud suggest riding in an SUV of a Pick-up truck to view it.

Second, from Rayford-Sawdust to passed the Beltway both ways, the cops are extinct. So if traffic permits it, its Mario Andreddi time. It is also fun on the HOV north, when all of the traffic is piled up on 45 at the 610 interchange and even a little further north near tidwell when it backs up in that area, I fly by at 90 +. Until I catch up to a stupid bus. But they either exit off or I pass them at the entrance or exits when it goes to two lanes. Hardly any cops on it either. Even so it is a little harder to catch a crotch rocket than it is a regular car. B)

You're in a car and still scared of a motorcycle? I've worked enough accidents to be able to tell you - the motorcycle will lose - Everytime.

Also, I didn't forget 225. I left it off because it is a state highway, and as I first stated - I excluded all but one state highway.

Fat Lazy Americans...stop whining - You have A/C, cable TV, 2 car families, minimum wage, social security, medicaid & medicare, fast food for every ethnic food type, and a supermarket every 10 blocks that restocks it shelves nightly. I'm sick of seeing people not understand the value of a dollar - 100 pennies...

just a rant - in one of those moods...

I have to add another favourite, althought it is not a freeway: The Washburn tunnel. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the old-1920's or 1940's tiled walls and cieling in the tunnel. I just wish we had another old-tunnel somewhere closer to downtown. But, being in the heart of the port of Houston, I guess it's kinda cool in its own way.

Don't forget the Tunnel From/to Navigation turning into Franklin. There was another tunnel, that was a bit further north, but I forgot where it was. From what I understand, it was taken out of service about 10 yrs ago.

Ricco

Archived