Houston Brag

Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry about that.

I don't think anyone said or suggested that the number of consulates was the way to measure ethnic diversity.

I think the original post did. Perhaps you should re-read where it says, "Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the United States - with 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation"

RE: population. How is it that you know what Census Bureua dataset they used? And how did you come up with 250,000 for Chicago? Talk about "tourist bureau manipulation" and "fact distortion"... Everything I find online puts downtown Chicago's population closer to 50,000.
The Chicago figure comes from the Census Bureau totals for the downtown Chicago ZIP codes -- primarily 60611 (26,522), 60610 (47,513), 60622 (76,015 ), and 60614 (65,474) which are the areas most commonly referred to as "downtown Chicago."
(and you're bragging about an apartment complex housing 15,000 people? Sheesh. Where are you, Calcutta? That sounds hideous)

They have these things now called "res-ee-den-shul sky-scrapers" where lots of people can live on a smaller patch of land. I wouldn't exactly call it hideous. By putting people in towers it allows them to be grouped around a six acre park with an open field, a dog run area, and a children's playground. Since you've demonstrated that you have no idea what you're talking about, here's a couple of pictures of what's been done so far:

956054_w.jpg

53Thumb.jpg

2006216132023208.jpg

And when it's done:

lse_d_ren007d.jpg

RE: the medical center claim. Just because other cities may have made the same claim does not automatically mean Houston's claim is untrue. Is there really a medical center in NYC, Tokyo, or Moscow that even comes close in size to the Texas Medical Center? I doubt it, but don't know for sure. I know I've never seen any evidence that Houston's claim is untrue. As we have seen in some past threads, you seem to be quite eager to assume that Houston's claims are not true.
You don't know, but you place faith in the claims of an organization whose sole purpose is to promote itself. That's fine. I'm a different kind of person. I'm automatically skeptical whenever I read "world's biggest" anything. In my experience it's rarely the "world's biggest." It's usually just the biggest one that the person making the claim has ever heard of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were medical centers in China that dwarf those anywhere in the Western world. But since none of us can read Chinese and don't live there, we're stuck with dubious claims of "world's largest."
For such a fan of Houston, we sure seem to be able to count on you to put a negative spin on any news out of Houston, in any way you can, whether logical or not.

I only very rarely participate in the HAIF discussions, so it's possible that you may be confusing me with other people. I try not to participate too much since I don't live in Houston anymore I prefer to assume that people down there are better in tune with what's going on. Also, for whatever reason, when I leave HAIF alone it seems to grow better than when I pay attention to it.

Folks, this list was from the Houston Pavilions website. It's just a list of things about Houston they have up there to help market the development to potential retail tenants. That's the purpose for listing downtown (including Midtown) population. All of these people have easy pedestrian, auto, and train access to Houston Pavilions. (if I were them I would have included all of the other near-downtown neighborhods, as well.) And they were no deceitful or disingenuous about it; they clearly said 'including midtown'.

I maintain that 18,000 people including Midtown is nothing to be proud of. In a city with the number of people that Houston has and the age of the city, its downtown and near downtown neighborhoods are underdeveloped. But this isn't the place for that discussion. There's probably a dozen or more threads covering the same topic. My point in replying to the OP was to point out the lame PR job being done.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done the highrise thing; but now, I have my own yard, pool, bath house, detached garage, and tropical front and back yards (less than 20 minutes from work). I can walk my doggie in the neighborhood or just let him out the back door. B) I think it is cool for people to live in highrises. The views are magnificent, especially like in Chicago or San Francisco or New York where you have lots of water. When I lived at the Houston House (I was pretty young and we practically were asked to leave after the lease was up because we were much too loud for that place), but the view on the 23rd floor (to the west overlooking the city) was cool. We could leave the patio doors open (there were two patios) and jam and watch the sunset behind the cityscape. Now I can imagine having a park a few blocks away (Discovery Green) and how much nicer highrise living is going to be downtown in a few short years. I learned one thing about highrise living: there were never any mosquitoes that high up. I'll be some of you didn't know about that little fact. ;)

P.S. There's nothing wrong with people who love their hometowns. New Yorkers often boast it is the world's greatest city; Chicago boasts of the Miracle Mile; L.A. is the City of Angels; St. Louis is the Gateway to the West; Houston is Energy Capital of the World; Dallas bills itself Big D. I do agree about magazine lists: they are baseless and ridiculous. One year Houston is the fattest city; the next it has dropped significantly and Chicago is the fattest. Huh? Something wrong with that picture. Besides, what is liveable? Hell, we all live somewhere. :blink:

I think the original post did. Perhaps you should re-read where it says, "Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the United States - with 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation"

Perhaps it is you who should read again. Since you have demonsrated that you have no ability to comprehend simple English, I'll explain if for you: Those are clearly and obviously two separate thoughts, separated by a hyphen. Each stands alone. It is quite obvious that the second clause is not there to "prove" the first clause, because it does not in any way prove the statement made in the first clause. If the second clause were there to support the first clause, the first clause would have to read "Houston is the third most ethnically diverse city in the United States. (Not only did you demonstrate your inability to comprehend, you also demontrated that you "have no idea what you are talking about" with your earlier question about embassies.)

I'm not sure if this is something to be proud of, or not. Someone in the arts community might have a better idea than I, but isn't it a GOOD thing if your arts groups tour?

The symphony has toured the US, Germany, Singapore, Japan among a few. They also performed at Carnegie Hall in January.

The opera has toured Europe and Asia and is the only opera company to win a Tony [extra brag there ;) ]

The ballet has toured the US, Canada, the UK, Europe, China and other parts of Asia. They used to tour more than any major ballet company in the US-not sure if that still applies.

I don't care if lists like these are published here or not. I think it's fine to toot your own horn-just as I think it's fine for Highway6 or any of us to have a cranky day.

If I have any concern at all, it's people like Poppahop who really don't seem to care but go to the trouble of posting long, boring posts to show us just that. :wacko:

So brag away if you are so inclined.

B)

The Chicago figure comes from the Census Bureau totals for the downtown Chicago ZIP codes -- primarily 60611 (26,522), 60610 (47,513), 60622 (76,015 ), and 60614 (65,474) which are the areas most commonly referred to as "downtown Chicago."

Yes, we can all make up our own definitions of what constitutes downtown and then string together a bunch of zip codes to come up with a number we like. Every source I can find online gives numbers for downtown Chicago FAR lower than you are feeding us. Again, you seem to have demonstrated that you "have no idea what you are talking about." Enough already with the "tourist bureau manipulation" and "fact distortion".

They have these things now called "res-ee-den-shul sky-scrapers" where lots of people can live on a smaller patch of land. I wouldn't exactly call it hideous. By putting people in towers it allows them to be grouped around a six acre park with an open field, a dog run area, and a children's playground. Since you've demonstrated that you have no idea what you're talking about, here's a couple of pictures of what's been done so far:

956054_w.jpg

53Thumb.jpg

2006216132023208.jpg

And when it's done:

lse_d_ren007d.jpg

Don't be an idiot. We are all familar with residential skyscrapers. You must be referring to Lakeshore East. A lovely development to be sure, but calling that an "apartment complex" is, shall we say, a bit misleading...?? That's like calling Dallas' Victory Park an "apartment complex." And I'm the one who has "no idea what [i'm] talking about?"

You don't know, but you place faith in the claims of an organization whose sole purpose is to promote itself. That's fine. I'm a different kind of person. I'm automatically skeptical whenever I read "world's biggest" anything. In my experience it's rarely the "world's biggest." It's usually just the biggest one that the person making the claim has ever heard of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were medical centers in China that dwarf those anywhere in the Western world. But since none of us can read Chinese and don't live there, we're stuck with dubious claims of "world's largest."

When an organization's claims comport with my own experience and knowledge, and when I have never seen any evidence to the contrary, yes, I'm willing to accept their claims, subject always to being disproven. (And not speaking Chinese or living in China is not a bar to knowing anything about China; that's just silliness on stilts. Since we neither speak Chinese nor live there, must we also assume that China may have an airport busier than O'Hare and therefore not believe O'Hare's claim to be the world's 2nd busiest airport?)

I only very rarely participate in the HAIF discussions, so it's possible that you may be confusing me with other people. I try not to participate too much since I don't live in Houston anymore I prefer to assume that people down there are better in tune with what's going on. Also, for whatever reason, when I leave HAIF alone it seems to grow better than when I pay attention to it.

No. I am not confusing you with other people. (I have a very good memory.)

RE: your final sentence above; Let me just say, "hmmmmm, go figure."

I maintain that 18,000 people including Midtown is nothing to be proud of. In a city with the number of people that Houston has and the age of the city, its downtown and near downtown neighborhoods are underdeveloped. But this isn't the place for that discussion. There's probably a dozen or more threads covering the same topic. My point in replying to the OP was to point out the lame PR job being done.

Again, you demonstrate you have trouble comprehending. This was not a Chamber of Commerce PR piece. It was a list of facts about Houston published on the website for Houston Pavilions, presumably to develop interest among prospective retail tenants. (And yes, indeed we have had plenty of discussions about Houston's downtown development; so stop bringing it up already. But FWIW, Houston's downtown development and near-downtown development is not appreciably different from similarly situtated cities. And yes, we all know that Chicago is of a similar age, but it had its massive growth very early in its existence and so has an altogether different development pattern than Houston). You may not like some of the information presented. You may not be impressed with some of the information presented, but just because you are predisposed to disbelieve anything good about Houston does not make the information untrue.

Don't be an idiot. We are all familar with residential skyscrapers. You must be referring to Lakeshore East. A lovely development to be sure, but calling that an "apartment complex" is, shall we say, a bit misleading...?? That's like calling Dallas' Victory Park an "apartment complex." And I'm the one who has "no idea what [i'm] talking about?"

When an organization's claims comport with my own experience and knowledge, and when I have never seen any evidence to the contrary, yes, I'm willing to accept their claims, subject always to being disproven. (And not speaking Chinese or living in China is not a bar to knowing anything about China; that's just silliness on stilts. Since we neither speak Chinese nor live there, must we also assume that China may have an airport busier than O'Hare and therefore not believe O'Hare's claim to be the world's 2nd busiest airport?)

No. I am not confusing you with other people. (I have a very good memory.)

RE: your final sentence above; Let me just say, "hmmmmm, go figure."

Again, you demonstrate you have trouble comprehending. This was not a Chamber of Commerce PR piece. It was a list of facts about Houston published on the website for Houston Pavilions, presumably to develop interest among prospective retail tenants. (And yes, indeed we have had plenty of discussions about Houston's downtown development; so stop bringing it up already. But FWIW, Houston's downtown development and near-downtown development is not appreciably different from similarly situtated cities. And yes, we all know that Chicago is of a similar age, but it had its massive growth very early in its existence and so has an altogether different development pattern than Houston). You may not like some of the information presented. You may not be impressed with some of the information presented, but just because you are predisposed to disbelieve anything good about Houston does not make the information untrue.

You hit the nail on the head with this post hou19514. When you travel and stay in hotels, the city in which you are staying will put out magazines with all the things to do there and how great their city is, including museums, sports stadia and theater, etc. Houston isn't different from any of these other places. No, we don't have the most residential highrises in the world. But, yes, we definitely do have the most residential highrises than any other city in Texas. By the way, in this century, Houston is growing inside its city limits and Chicago is losing population to surrounding areas, like Detroit has been doing.

By the way, in this century, Houston is growing inside its city limits and Chicago is losing population to surrounding areas, like Detroit has been doing.

Not true. In Chicago, families are moving to the suburbs, being replaced by singles and couples...people like the editor and his wife. There is a net loss of population, but not households. Detroit is losing households, as few of any type is moving into the city.

I have a lot of respect for the great urban cities of this nation, and when I say that I pretty much mean NYC, Chicago, maybe SF, probably Boston, etc. I'm not impressed too much with LA because it is so spread out. And yes, I love what Houston has done these last hundred fifty years or so with what essentially is a flood-prone swampland. And we should all be proud of what we have become and what this city will become in the future. What I dont have a lot of respect for are ingrown toe-nails. That's one of the reasons that I drink. Be that as it may, the bottom line is that the editor could shut my postings down whenever he damn pleases, and as such, I opt for reservation in postings of what really is on my mine, right now.

^^^I agree, i'll hold my thoughts when i'm posting one someone else's message board. I do know that Houston ain't no Chicago but i look forward to seeing Houston thrive on to its journey of becoming a World Class City.

Houston is starting to get alot more respect lately. At least i don't hear or read about as many people calling it ugly like they were doing Pre-superbowl.I just hope that the sprawl, conjestion, and lack of zoning continues to be nipped in the bud.

I'm not going to bounce him for flaming. I think he's gone overboard with his defense, but I guess passion is a good thing.

I'm going to really make him steam by NOT responding to his posts. That'll probably drive him nuts.

If he wants to really do something to promote Houston's image, then maybe he should cough up $7k a year to keep HAIF alive like I do.

I was reading this thread by chance, for a story I am writing. Though I live in NYC, my home will always be Houston. I just wanted to respond to Poppahop's response - his "Who Cares" about everything regarding fine and performing arts. First, you say this does not matter? TO YOU. I personally enjoying taking in a show or play. I also love art exhibits, and so do all my friends. Obviously there are different tastes running the gamut and the point of a great city is to provide entertainment, culture, and opportunities for all interests and walks of life. Just because YOU don't know anyone who likes these art things doesn't mean anything other than your friends are similar to you and mine are similar to me - that is how friends form a bond, common interests.

Further, you (and someone else?) mention that the number of square footage does not mean too much? And that maybe a permanent symphony/ballet means they don't tour? Well, first, most cities have performing companies but are not year round due to lack of funds to pay artisit and performers. To know that Houston has year round companies shows great interest in the arts and that people are getting a little more culture, other that a football game (of which I have season tix mind you). Also, Houston companies tour all the time, they have more money to gear up for a tour! ADDITIONALLY, because we have so much square footage and venues, we are a perfect candidate for other travelling companies that might otherwise forgo other cities with limited or lacking facilities. This in turn makes us a destination for art and for entertainment, especially from an outside perspective. Locally, I get to see international talent from around the world, and from a business standpoint, investors might one day see Houston as a place to do something great. You never know, but at least we have infrastructure on par with other premier cities.

P.S. - who cares about having a one of the world's largest port system?????? What about the employment it provides? Jesus, that is worth its weight in gold!

Also---we all know Chicago is ahead of Houston in terms of development. They have alot more people. That is key. When we reach certain popular statistics, that spurs development, if not by vision, but by neccesity. When we reach that saturation point, we will have what we always knew Houston could be. Until then, enjoy the ride.

^_^

I lived in the following major cites for more than 3 months and i like to explore the ambiance of the towns and people, when i am out of town mostly vacation i try to enjoy the local flavor.

Dal-Worth

Oklahoma city, 3 months after bombing

Kansas City Kansas

Kansas City Missouri, Lost my $bee-hind$ on the river.

New Orleans

San Antonio

Austin

Lubbock

I'm not going to bounce him for flaming. I think he's gone overboard with his defense, but I guess passion is a good thing.

I'm going to really make him steam by NOT responding to his posts. That'll probably drive him nuts.

If he wants to really do something to promote Houston's image, then maybe he should cough up $7k a year to keep HAIF alive like I do.

Editor, all of us appreciate the awesome job you do. Your thoughts and posts are totally respected and I believe you are fair and non-judgmental and handle a lot of crazy posts (yes, mine are in there) with a lot of class. For that, on behalf of HAIFers, we thank you. :wub:

I was a little surprised that posting some facts about our great big town here on the coast would cause a wild thread. Oh, well, we all have our opinions and ideas. Happy Holidays folks! B)

I second that...the editor DOES pay the bills for the most part so perhaps a little respect is due.

Likewise a little respect is due from him to the members who make this board what it is. Please read the post to which I was responding before telling me how to behave.

I want to know why 19514 is SOOOOOOOOO angry. These are just words on an electronic message board. Let me suggest to 19514 that there are places you can go for that.

Where's the anger? I just correct misstatements of fact and misrepresentations. AND sometimes I respond in a manner similar to that to which I am subjected. (See Editor's first response to me)

I second that...the editor DOES pay the bills for the most part so perhaps a little respect is due.

(and he also gets the advertising revenue.)

Hey guys, just because the editor is the grand poohbah, is that supposed to make his statements immune from criticism? I surely hope not.

Not bounce me for flaming? Where is the flaming? If I am guilty of flaming, my friend, so are you. The words in my post that are possibly "flaming" were all from your post. Perhaps I should have just called you on it and moved on, not allowing myself to get drug down to that level of discourse. For that I apologize to the board and to myself. (And no, it will not drive me nuts that you didn't respond to my posts. I'm not in here for childish games. I'm here to get and share accurate information; therefore when I see misstatements and mischaracterizations, I correct them. That's all.)

LOL This is getting positively surreal. I feel like I'm in "The Wizard of Oz." I'm sure you all know the scene. The one near the end, where Dorothy questions the great and powerful Oz, infuriating Oz and sending everyone else into fits of panic... "No, Dorothy, take it back. She didn't mean it, Oz... You are the great and powerful Oz" ;-)

FWIW, I too appreciate the editor's undertaking the business enterprise of providing this discussion board, just as I appreciate, for example, Walgreen's undertaking the business enterprise of providing me prescriptions on the corner near my house. That does not put either Walgreens or the editor of this board above criticism or questioning.

LOL This is getting positively surreal. I feel like I'm in "The Wizard of Oz." I'm sure you all know the scene. The one near the end, where Dorothy questions the great and powerful Oz, infuriating Oz and sending everyone else into fits of panic... "No, Dorothy, take it back. She didn't mean it, Oz... You are the great and powerful Oz" ;-)

FWIW, I too appreciate the editor's undertaking the business enterprise of providing this discussion board, just as I appreciate, for example, Walgreen's undertaking the business enterprise of providing me prescriptions on the corner near my house. That does not put either Walgreens or the editor of this board above criticism or questioning.

Except, see, this has nothing to do with your argument, so much as the way you present it.

Maybe you are correct in your argument. Regardless, you have to be nice to Editor. There are nice ways of phrasing "I believe your point is incorrect," out there, you know.

Your example is not accurate, nor is it correct. I'll present a correct argument...

1. Oz is real, and he really does wield power

2. Oz also has a bad temperament

So, when Dorothy insults him with every curse word in the book, suddenly she finds that she's back in Kansas!

Ok, enough with uplifting the editor. I think some of your noses are turning brown. Point being, editor may pay the bills round here but that don't mean he's always right. I think he got used to Chicago's urban life style and activity. Who wouldn't? Houston's a one horse townin comparison. If i were in the 2nd largest megacity, i wouldn't have too many good thoughts of Houston. My only good thoughts would be merely sentimental.

Ok, enough with uplifting the editor. I think some of your noses are turning brown. Point being, editor may pay the bills round here but that don't mean he's always right. I think he got used to Chicago's urban life style and activity. Who wouldn't? Houston's a one horse townin comparison. If i were in the 2nd largest megacity, i wouldn't have too many good thoughts of Houston. My only good thoughts would be merely sentimental.

Tierwester, I explicitly said, in my post, that there are ways to say he is right without insulting him.

Tierwester, I explicitly said, in my post, that there are ways to say he is right without insulting him.

And like I explicitly said earlier, there is no reason the Editor cannot be held to the same standards of civility and respect. And by the way, I can read your posts here, I can do without the duplicate PMs.

Archived