Anybody digging the new IE 7 SP2

what is new/different with IE 7? not that i have used IE in ages, but still curious

tabbed browsing (finally)

better security (supposedly)

RSS

Better printing

Phishing filters

Pop-up blocker (not sure if this is new though)

Im sure there are more - those are at the top of my mind....

Just downloaded and installed it today on my work laptop, and so far I'm liking it. It's a lot like Firefox, which I have at home, but have never installed on my work computer because it doesn't work too well with software I have to use for work.

The pop-up blocker isn't new, but does seem to be improved over the IE 6.x pop-up blocker.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that different browsers will render images differently. They're not supposed to, but they do. I once did a comparison of the rendering of the same image in IE, Safari, and Firefox. I don't remember who won, though. It was a long time ago.

My suspicion is that some browsers may be taking shortcuts when decompressing JPEGs in order to speed up page load time.

As for IE7, I won't see it for a while. My company just finished upgrading people from NT to XP and 2000. Company policy is now that we must have two different operating systems scattered throughout the operation so that if a worm strikes we won't lose everyone.

It took a few years because it's probably about 20,000 computers on five continents and because we received many many hundreds of defective machines from Dell. In my office there was a 20% failure rate after one year.

I like it. My only complaint is not being able to get the address bar, search bar, menu bar and command bar on the same line. I don't like alot of junk at the top of my screen-I prefer it condensed into one line.l

Any suggestions for a techno challanged individual? :huh:

I just did the rendering comparison again. Here are my results:

BrowserComparison.png

At first glance, they appear the same. But if you look at the curve of the bottom serif in the letter "a" you'll see that both IE and Safari are really harsh there, while Firefox is much smoother.

But, to my eye, the shadow of the H looks blotchier in Firefox.

Overall I'd say that Firefox has the smoothest rendering. Whether that's good or bad depends on the image, I guess. In pictures I'd think it's good because it will smooth out imperfections. But in text it could makes things muddy.

IMO, All companies that have Windows xp and above IBM computers should upgrade to IE7

If you have a 98/98SE/ME (or any NT models similar to these operating systems), upgrade to IE6

If you have Windows 3/3.1 or 95 (or any NT models similar to these operating systems), upgrade to IE5

Archived