Mexican Restaurants

Los Cucos is a safe bet everytime.

i have been to los cucos several times since i live almost next door (memorial park). i have had a wide range of experiences there including great food/service to cold food/poor service and everywhere in between. i think this chain has grown too fast too soon with a lack of management as well as consistancy. i wish it wasn't so...

1.ninfa's on navagation

2. escalanties on woodway or neyerland

3. my wife likes tony's on ella

1.ninfa's on navagation

2. escalanties on woodway or neyerland

3. my wife likes tony's on ella

I consider these all texmex. I see you have a fondness for everclear margaritas if you go to tony's and ninfa's

Escalantes is comparable to taco bell. horrible.

I was meaning on the east side...Wayside/Navigation area..Tapatia on Richmond is actually my fave restraunt...all day happy hour Wed and Mojito night is Thurs. Actually looking for places closer to home...Tia Marias in Baytown, hands down, has the strongest margaritas I have ever had.

There is the original Ninfa's on Navigation near downtown.

The nearby Merida restaurant is good for their breakfasts. Their breakfast tacos are great. I've been going there since I was a kid. Can't say a thing about lunch/dinner as I've never been at that time.

The Mucho Mexico on N. Wayside near I-10 gets a lot of business. Food is alright, I've been there only once.

If you happen to be around during lunch time during the weekdays, go to Irma's on Chenevert (near MMPark). Great food there. Only open during breakfast and lunch (6pm on astros weekday games).

Mango's Grill on Harrisburg/Macario Garcia is overpriced.

El Charro on Harrisburg/Milby is good for late night eats.

The nearby Merida restaurant is good for their breakfasts. Their breakfast tacos are great. I've been going there since I was a kid. Can't say a thing about lunch/dinner as I've never been at that time.

Watch for the mice crawling around. We saw one run into the kitchen and then heard the staff scream.

If you happen to be around during lunch time during the weekdays, go to Irma's on Chenevert (near MMPark). Great food there. Only open during breakfast and lunch (6pm on astros weekday games).

WAY too expensive! 10.95 for Picadillo (hamburger meat and potatoes) is ridiculous

hang on...there are two irma's, right?

one on texas (southwest grill) and one on chenevert

i have read about the pricey no-menu stuff at irma's southwest grill, but nothing about the other...

_____

wait a sec - i just read about not having menus and pricey fod at the other now...must be the same deal

• 1 month later...
I can't believe nobody has mentioned EL TEOTIHUACAN on Airline. Best Mexican food I've had so far....
You mean "El Pinko"? GF and I love that place! We call it El Pinko because of the color of the building which is - uh, pink, I think. I think their enchiladas verdes are the best I ever had.

Watch for the mice crawling around. We saw one run into the kitchen and then heard the staff scream.

WAY too expensive! 10.95 for Picadillo (hamburger meat and potatoes) is ridiculous

They were screaming because the taco meat was crawling away !

You mean "El Pinko"? GF and I love that place! We call it El Pinko because of the color of the building which is - uh, pink, I think. I think their enchiladas verdes are the best I ever had.

I thought you were calling it "EL PINKO" because you have to down a bottle of Pepto right after you eat there. :blink:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned EL TEOTIHUACAN on Airline. Best Mexican food I've had so far....

I still like their original location at Cavalcade & Irvington just a little bit better. They also have a location on Bellfort near Fondren.

It hasn't been mentioned cause it's not that good. We went a few weeks ago. It was the weakest menudo i've ever had. no spice at all!

Gringos is good fast mexican food, and so is Lupe Tortillas. But if you want to kick it up a notch try Hugo's on westheimer in the montrose area. Man its good, and their patron margaritas with contreau are the best. The way margaritas are supposed to me made.

neither gringo's nor Lupe Tortillas are worth going to. Hugo's is nice...but it does get pricy. Our appetizer was $42 which is pricy. Their margaritas are good though however I wouldn't call them the best. You should hit Maria Selma on richmond for good margaritas. Food is more puebla mexican vs. border mexican.

I like Laredo Cantina on Wilcrest just south of Westheimer.

And My Amigos on Dairy Ashford just south of Westheimer.

for food in the Westchase area.

I also like Los Cucos but you never know what kind of service youa re going to get. And it probably depends on the location.

Las Rosas has a pretty good menu too. I think they are a chain too. There is one in south Katy and one in Pearland.

Mely's in pearland is good too.

Tortuga's, Casa Ole, Monterey's, Mission Burrito

Casa Ole?

:huh:

Can you quote a source on that? Or are you just throwing cancer in there for fun? I have never heard of anyone getting cancer from getting fat. Lots of other things, but never cancer.

BUahahhahhahahha

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Doood...you gotta stop making me laught like that! My wife allready thinks I lost it a LONG time ago!

"...or are you just throwing cancer in there for fun?..."

BUAAAAAhahahhahahahaha

:lol::lol::lol:

Casarez on Edgebrook is good. Also recommend Del Sol at 45 & Broadway Circle.

Ahhh....some of my own stomping grounds you mention there.

I discovered a new place....and it's to DIE for. Simply awesome: Awesome Garne Guisada, Awesome ninfa-like fajitas, awesome rice, killer quacamole, killer chips and salsa, awesome frijoles a la charra, and the best damn michelada I have had yet (the bar tender refuses to give me the recipe...I happen to be a big fan of Micheladas, with my own couple of recipes I use at home, but this place here has the best one). Anyways, the place is called La Hacienda....its on NASA Rd. 1 and Gulf Freeway.

I'm sure this is just another of just great places all over Houston. There are so many out there, and there just isnt enough time to experience all of them!

Anyways, the place is called La Hacienda....its on NASA Rd. 1 and Gulf Freeway.

Next time you go order the "lee haciendarita." It is not on the menu. (BTW, their margarita is the haciendarita) They named it after me as i have an affinity for them! Hope you enjoy it!

Next time you go order the "lee haciendarita." It is not on the menu. (BTW, their margarita is the haciendarita) They named it after me as i have an affinity for them! Hope you enjoy it!

Damn. How often do yo go there. Do you live in the area?

Have you had thier micheladas? (I take mine with a Carta Blanca)

Damn. How often do yo go there. Do you live in the area?

Have you had thier micheladas? (I take mine with a Carta Blanca)

a good friend and i used to go several times/week for happy hr after work. we would always bring 5-10 people with us so william and alex (bartenders) liked us. i live in 610/45south area.

no i haven't had their micheladas. i'll bet their good though. you might try warren's inn's variation if you make it downtown. a good friend gets a similar drink frequently but she calls it something else. They are one of the few places that actually make their own bloody mary mix from scratch. with beer or tequila it is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Mexican Restaurants

Archived